Wheel/tire considerations for a 1988 Toyota pickup 4x4

Gabe357

Hello Overlanders! I'm looking for some replacement wheels/tires for my 1988 Toyota Pickup, and hoping to get some feedback from folks on the forum.

I've had this wonderful truck for about 20 years, and ran the stock steel rims and tires for most of the time I've had it. About 5 years ago I built a cabover camper for it, and decided to get some new wheels/tires without giving much thought. What I ended up buying was the following:
  • Wheels: Pro-Comp 69 Series Vintage wheels 15x8 with 3.75 backspace and -19 offset.
  • Tires: Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 31x10.5 R15

My primary complaints on the setup is that the tires stick out well beyond the fenders spraying mud/rocks and the tires feel "heavy" while driving/accelerating/decelerating.
The first attached picture shows the original wheels/tires, the second shows the pro-comps and duractracs, and the third shows how far they're sticking out.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's a few factors at play that have pushed the tires outward. The rims are 15x8 and stock is 15x7, so that extra inch makes the tire wider and the -18 offset pushes the tire outward another 3/4". Maybe the tire I chose is also widening things?

For wheels, I'm thinking of replacing the pro-comps with the OEM SR5 Aluminum 15x7 wheels like these here: https://www.stockwheels.com/Toyota-...ver-Offset-8mm-4-Double-Spoke-69305-Wheel-Rim. I'm leaning towards the SR5 Aluminum rims thinking they'd be lighter than their steel counterpart, but not sure If that's correct.
For tires, I haven't got a clue... I'm likely pulling this camper off, and going with something lighter/simpler like a Go Fast Camper. I don't plan to do any crazy off-roading, and any off-road I do will require a few hours of highway driving to get there, so nice highway/general drivability is pretty important to me.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom folks may have on what direction I should go!

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_6449.jpg

Dave in AZ

I have a 98. The brakes on these are not very strong. One of the most common mods at Tacomaworld dot com is to replace the Tacoma brakes with the larger more capable Tundra brakes. Especially if adding a heavy camper--it is the first advice everyone gives, followed by airbags followed by adding a leaf to rear springs or custom heavier spring.

However, you need 16" wheels to do the Tundra brakes, the larger caliper won't fit inside the 15" wheel. Additionally, 25" rims are essentially obsolete now, very difficult to find and very few tires now made for them. More standard and common are now 16" rims, many better tire deals out there for that. 3rd gen Tacomas, thru 2023, have 16" rims.

Recommend you ditch the 15", go to 16", and do the brake upgrade.

rruff

Explorer
Kinda think your original wheels with slightly bigger tires would have been perfect.

Don't get rid of that camper, it is AWESOME!!!!

I built a bigger camper for a '84 2wd. That camper was too big, but yours looks just right and very cool to boot!

Gabe357

@Dave in AZ I appreciate that advice. Those are compelling reasons to move up to 16" wheels. My truck is pre-tacoma (1988), so I'm not sure there's a bolt on solution for adding Tundra brakes?
It looks like LC engineering makes a IFS "big brake" upgrade kit that installs larger calipers.

@rruff Thank you! I definitely wish I hadn't gotten rid of the old steelies. This thing is more akin to a wooden boat and I find a good amount of my time is keeping it "afloat" so to speak :)

bkg

Explorer
I have a 98. The brakes on these are not very strong. One of the most common mods at Tacomaworld dot com is to replace the Tacoma brakes with the larger more capable Tundra brakes. Especially if adding a heavy camper--it is the first advice everyone gives, followed by airbags followed by adding a leaf to rear springs or custom heavier spring.

However, you need 16" wheels to do the Tundra brakes, the larger caliper won't fit inside the 15" wheel. Additionally, 25" rims are essentially obsolete now, very difficult to find and very few tires now made for them. More standard and common are now 16" rims, many better tire deals out there for that. 3rd gen Tacomas, thru 2023, have 16" rims.

Recommend you ditch the 15", go to 16", and do the brake upgrade.
Tundra brake upgrade is not applicable on this truck.

rruff

Explorer
This thing is more akin to a wooden boat and I find a good amount of my time is keeping it "afloat" so to speak :)
If you haven't added a layer of fiberglass to the exterior, then that would surely help. Then paint it... ;)

grizzlypath

Tires - honestly based on my research prior to purchase, the Duratracs are pretty light for being a hybrid Mud/AT tire. It could be tricky finding something lighter for the style. Maybe moving to an A/T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach