wrangler JK Trail Tool Bag

m3at333hp

Adventurer
I am going on a 4/5 day trip in my JKU in a month and a half and I was wondering if anyone has a comprehensive list of recommended tools they carry around for trips in the JK?

So far:
Good Torx set
3/8th Ratchet set
Crescent wrenchs
Philips and Flathead screwdriver
Tire repair kit
Electrical Tape
Duct Tape
Zip Ties
Hammer
Pliers
Fuses
Compressor
1 qt. engine oil
1 qt. diff oil

........ I am trying to have a nice and SMALL toolkit put together and not bring the whole garage with me. Any ideas will be much appreciated. :coffeedrink:

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
I pack a mid size tote. Has some oil, wire (baling and electrical), fuses, basic wrench and socket set, hammer, pliers, rags (can double as *** wipe if need be - although I always pack that in my jeep), jumper cables, and some duck/electrical tape. Probably more than I'll ever need... but I figure even I don't know much about wrenching, I'd better have some basic **** so that when there is an issue, someone that does know what they're doing can tell me what to do.

For longer trips I pack my big socket set and if I'm going on a big wheeling trip, I'll pack my old front drive shaft. Again, overkill, but I have the room. Especially as it's just me in my JKU and I almost always take my trailer.

dp7197

Adventurer
I have used Pelican Cases if various sizes set up for carrying tools. One carries all my air/tire accessories, another fluids, a differential/axle kit, and my tool kit. I can take what I need depending on the trip.

Tools include 1/4" & 3/8" sockets, a 1/2" breaker bar, pliers, screwdrivers, axle socket, Torx, 18 and 19mm wrenches and sockets, file, snap ring pliers, fuses, ScanGauge, big hammer and pry bar to name some things.

A

AngryRedBird

Hah and here I was thinking that you're referring to a "Tool Bag" to carry your tools.. I mean sure you have the right items.. and the most typical.. but we all know how this ends up.. we left something out, duct tape.. Bandaids.. I guess in this case.. I have tool bags in the jeep at all times.. one mech kit which as some tools in it.. one Viair system which again has a few selected tools and of could the main bag located at the tailgate.. lug set, alen/torque wrench, fuse kit etc.. It's hard to sit back and randomly pick items, and this sort of has to be done while you're on a trip and things happen.. just so you realise, hey I needed that or why didn't I have that in my tool bag.. I've yet to have been in an issue that I couldn't handle.. (knock on wood) The big or main issue is where does everything go.. For us.. its become a weight issue and most of it (too much) is in the back.. so it might be time to actually relocated the Viair compressor under the hood..

m3at333hp

Adventurer
Since you have a '14, flat tires would be the most likely mishap. Carry your warranty, and favorite credit card!

I bought some Rubi wheels with the BFG M/Ts. Hoping I don't have that problem! I don't think they take credit cards in the middle of Death Valley. :sombrero:

m3at333hp

Adventurer
I mean sure you have the right items.. and the most typical.. but we all know how this ends up.. we left something out, duct tape.. Bandaids..

Sure, it is hard to be 100% covered without taking weight into consideration, but maybe just looking to cover 90% of the potential breakdowns (throwing out arbitrary number). Some tools are better than none :)

BWickett

Observer
Basic toolset of course, but some of the things that are often overlooked:

Common nuts / bolts / screws for the Jeep. Sucks to have all the right tools, and then be missing a simple part like this.
Rescue Tape (silicone) for hoses, FiberFix repair tape.. that stuff works and may help in a pinch.
List of all the DTC codes, with no wi-fi, it's helpful to know what's happening if she starts throwing codes.
Socket extensions and deep well sockets for the most common (8mm, 10, mm)
Loctite
And when all else fails.. break out the 3# hammer.

A

AngryRedBird

Sure, it is hard to be 100% covered without taking weight into consideration, but maybe just looking to cover 90% of the potential breakdowns (throwing out arbitrary number). Some tools are better than none :)
hah got that right and I see you've been editing your first post to include a few suggestions.. one tool you might want to include on this list.. Toilet paper.. Back roads and no rest room.. don't think you want to use that 5 pointed leaf over there..
Not sure this would be considered a tool.. but a few handy edible plant books or small survival guide.. and of course let's not forget paracord.. I mean this is a tool thread.. could have been converted into a multi survival thread, then one would get all kinds of suggestions.. tongue depressors for a small splint.. Pantie hose for a serpentine belt..

Yuccahead

Adventurer
I have not seen tire repair plugs/tools mentioned. Spare serpentine belt? I used to carry spare belts with my CJ but actually don't with my JKU. I think fuses are so small, you have to take at least one of each size. I would also take a jump pack. These can take up very little space and in someplace like Death Valley, could save your life if you leave your lights on (and are travelling alone). If I recall correctly, make sure your socket set includes 17mm. I think it's a common size on the JK and not always included in ratchet sets.

JBWeld can be a lifesaver. Which reminds me. 1 quart of oil may not do you much good. Take 3 and consider carrying them in something like an oilsafe (see www.fluiddefense.com ). I have had the plastic 1 qt containers fail on me in my (in my CJ) just from being secured with a bungee. This makes a nasty mess. I would think you could skip the diff oil as a trade off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3