Write Up: Dual Battey Setup for 1985 FJ60

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
As part of my expedition build I wanted to install a dual battery system to power my Ham Radios, Laptop, Winch., ETC, as well has having backup starting power. I also wanted to find a way to tame all the “direct to battery” wire runs I had for my various accessory equipment and provide a method of placing a heavy duty fuse to protect the rest of vehicles wiring. There have been a few write-ups on this but I thought I would write my own to share. The system is designed to have all loads run off the optima yellow top deep cycle battery and have the red-top act only as backup with no loads attached to it other than the battery isolator.

After reading some posts here in IH8MUD I went with the Hell Roaring BIC-95300B system. It seemed very reliable and there were not too many reports of trouble.

http://www.hellroaring.com/4wheel.php

I relocated the coolant overflow tank and built a bracket for it that utilized an existing bolt hole over the passenger side wheel well. I then installed the backup battery which is resting on a 4+Plus Battery Tray from Man-A-Fre. The negative side of the backup battery is fused with a 250A fuse to protect the entire wire run from the backup battery to the BIC-95300B. I struggled with the positive wire run from the backup battery to the BIC-95300B. I did not want to run it along the back of the fire wall due to the heat generated by the top of the motor so I chose to run it along the top of the radiator and wrap it in wire loom. Hopefully it will be cool enough and there is plenty of room between the hood and the radiator. The air inlet hose to the carb has to get squished between the backup battery and the headlamp washer tank.

http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa/batterytray60series.htm

CIMG1939.jpg

CIMG1943.jpg

The next photo(s) shows the heavy duty fuse 300A Fuse and 4 Point Power Dist. Bus all under plastic isolators to minimize the chance of and accidental short. (There is a bus for negative wires mounted close by) Again I made a bracket that took advantage of existing holes so I would not have to drill any holes in the body.

The fuse, power dist bus, heavy duty battery lugs and insulated covers can be found at:

http://www.vteworld.com/content/electromech/busbar/html/4point/4point.php
http://www.vteworld.com/content/electromech/fuse/html/tclass/tclass.php
http://www.vteworld.com/content/electromech/BatteryTerminals/html/3534_35.php

CIMG1942.jpg

CIMG1944.jpg

CIMG1945.jpg

I made another bracket utilizing existing bolt holes in the body to mount the HellRoaring BIC-95300B to the fire wall. The photo shows the unit with the 1/0 cables I made (wrapped in flexible wire loom) along with the wires for the control switch that is mounted in under the dash.

CIMG1940.jpg

CIMG1946.jpg

When the install was complete, I simulated a completely dead main battery by disconnecting it and using the unit to start my FJ60 which it did !

The BIC-95300B has three settings for use depending on the condition of the main battery. The settings are selected via the remote switch mounted under the dash. It can automatically sense when the voltage on the main battery goes low and will automatically combine both batteries in parallel for higher amperage. One can also manually combine the batteries when winching or turn the unit off. It will also provide an optimal charge rate to both batteries.

The instructions from Hell Roaring were good but I would recommend studying them well prior to doing the install. All things considered I am very happy with the product and the project as a whole.

CIMG1947.jpg

I hope this helps soemone with thier dual battery setup plans. Feel free to post any ?s

Mark

PS: To see the rest of my build click here:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/expedition-b...e-85-fj60.html

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Nice Setup!

May i suggest moving that cable running over the top of the radiator?

It will constantly (while running) be exposed to extreme heat and could possibly melt the "loom" or damage the cable (depending on what your using)

Just my .02

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
mrlocksmith said:
I see you ran your cable next to the radiator as well. Are those stainless trays? The are not made anymore.

Mark

Not many options n routing the cable. I did end up covering mine with split loom and tying it to the Front support. It will not get too hot there at all.

Those are Noel's stainless battery trays. Superior product!

Mike

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Nice setups...

Re: The stainless tray kits, I remember they were all the jazz a couple of years ago. Did I understand correctly, they are no longer made? Who was the maker?

AndrewP

Explorer
cruiseroutfit said:
Nice setups...

Re: The stainless tray kits, I remember they were all the jazz a couple of years ago. Did I understand correctly, they are no longer made? Who was the maker?

The guy was Noel in Nevada. He was a super good guy who did amazing work for small $$. If you have one of his trays, it is the best made part of your Land Cruiser. Unfortunately, the laser cutter he had a work broke, and so he is out of business as far as the Land Cruiser battery trays go. I have one in my 40 and one in my 60, and if I had known that he was going to stop production, I would have bought all available. When the rest of your Cruiser is a pile of rust in some farmer's field, the stainless tray will still be there, standing guard over the corpse. They are that nice.

Here is his old website: http://www.stainlesstrays.com/

cruiseroutfit

AndrewP said:
The guy was Noel in Nevada. He was a super good guy who did amazing work for small $$. If you have one of his trays, it is the best made part of your Land Cruiser. Unfortunately, the laser cutter he had a work broke, and so he is out of business as far as the Land Cruiser battery trays go. I have one in my 40 and one in my 60, and if I had known that he was going to stop production, I would have bought all available. When the rest of your Cruiser is a pile of rust in some farmer's field, the stainless tray will still be there, standing guard over the corpse. They are that nice.

Here is his old website: http://www.stainlesstrays.com/

Man, wish he were still around, I remember them as being top notch. Just bought a 60 to put them in too :D

durangodds

Adventurer
Nice setup. I'm in the process of doing my own with a kit from 12Voltguy.com. I didn't see it in your write up, but where did you take the switch wires through the dash? It seems silly, but I'm so anal I don't like wires everywhere. Did you run 'em through with part of the existing wire harness or do something different?

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
durangodds said:
Nice setup. I'm in the process of doing my own with a kit from 12Voltguy.com. I didn't see it in your write up, but where did you take the switch wires through the dash? It seems silly, but I'm so anal I don't like wires everywhere. Did you run 'em through with part of the existing wire harness or do something different?

There is a grommet on the passenger side fire wall behind the washer tank. (you may have to remove the washer tank, which by the way gives you great access to the space behind the front fender to run your wire out of site)

Warning: This was written before my morning coffee :0

:Mechanic:

Mark

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
cruiseroutfit said:
Man, wish he were still around, I remember them as being top notch. Just bought a 60 to put them in too :D

I am 99% sure that i have one out of my old 60 laying around, i will try to dig it up for you Kurt! Shoot me a PM next week to remind me!

Thanks

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Mike S said:
Not many options n routing the cable. I did end up covering mine with split loom and tying it to the Front support.

Take a closer look @ the front support, it is a piece of C-channel and you can easily run the cable under/inside of it, and that way it is protected from just about everything, looks super clean to! The cable WILL fit up there! :D

I ran the cable in my 80 and in my 60 this way, little trick to share! ;)

cruiseroutfit

Boston Mangler said:
I am 99% sure that i have one out of my old 60 laying around, i will try to dig it up for you Kurt! Shoot me a PM next week to remind me!

Thanks

LMK :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3