WS Tarpon 120 and a small dog

Tim A

Adventurer
Rented an Ocean Kayak sit on top tandem this weekend and it was great. My wife and little schnauzer went out too but I think it will mostly be just me and the dog going fishing.

I see that the Wilderness Systems Tarpon is a highly regarded boat and wondered if anyone has experience paddling it with a small 20 lb dog on board. Was looking at 12' model. Or perhaps someone can recommend a different boat. Is it feasible to carry a dog on a sit-in kayak? Most of my paddling will be done on flat water or occasionally in the bay.

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pr...recreational_tarpon/tarpon_120r_recreational/

chet

island Explorer
I have seen lots of dogs in kayaks and canoes. Please buy your dog a lifejacket. we had a couple tip a kayak over in themiddle of our lake (4 miles wide) and they made it to shore but their little dog didn't due to large waves.

Tim A

Adventurer
I have seen lots of dogs in kayaks and canoes. Please buy your dog a lifejacket. we had a couple tip a kayak over in themiddle of our lake (4 miles wide) and they made it to shore but their little dog didn't due to large waves.

Jeez that's horrible but drives your point home. My question was geared toward dogs in sit-in kayaks.

Van_Homan

Adventurer
I've paddled with several people who bring their dogs and it's always more difficult with a sit inside.
The Tarpon you mentioned is a great boat. One fellow paddler brings along two children on hers and still has room for gear.

highres_10299218-1.jpg

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I don't have a dog but I have had a Tarpon 120 for 6 or 7 years now. Great kayak and very durable. I would think if the dog had a flotation device it could just sit in the back cargo area. Maybe glue down some carpet strip so the dog's claws had something to hook into?

DangerSquirrel

Did you buy your kayak yet?? I'm a fan of Hobies (Quest 13 and the new 11) I can pack all my camping gear below deck and my 60lb lab/catahoula rides in back. I use a carpet floormat back there for him that doubles as a "welcome mat" for my tent once I set up camp. I prefer SOTs. You can stow fishing rods and paddles inside the kayak. If the water is cold use scupper stoppers and a camp towel to sponge out any water. They are much easier if you have to get out and drag, then when you get back in the water drains out.

WS makes great kayaks but I prefer the layout of the Hobies. The front hatch is much larger too.

Tim A

Adventurer
No I have not bought a boat yet...I am still interested though. Thanks for the advice. -Tim

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I have a WS Ride and take my border collie out in it. Great boat (and dog), and yes, she has a life jacket. ;-)

FettsWay

Adventurer
I have a 10 pound dog that goes in my ocean kayak sidekick, with ruffwear lifevest. I shopped around before buying a sit on top, with my dog in mind. The ocean kayaks tend to be very stable as they are made for the waves/surf, so he doesn't upset the boat with this onboard energy.

Ocean Kayak discontinued the Sidekick, but it's similar to this: http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/single_kayaks/scrambler_11.html

My dog likes to ride up on the bow and the platform makes it a perfect boat for us both.

Tim A

Adventurer
I have a 10 pound dog that goes in my ocean kayak sidekick, with ruffwear lifevest. I shopped around before buying a sit on top, with my dog in mind. The ocean kayaks tend to be very stable as they are made for the waves/surf, so he doesn't upset the boat with this onboard energy.

Ocean Kayak discontinued the Sidekick, but it's similar to this: http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/single_kayaks/scrambler_11.html

My dog likes to ride up on the bow and the platform makes it a perfect boat for us both.

I also rented one of the singles similar to the one you linked...seemed that paddling the single wasn't much different than paddling the tandem (wife/dog were on-shore) so I'm leaning toward the tandem. Either way I have to figure out a way to mount a boat on the roof of my extended cab Tacoma before I buy...that's a whole other long topic:wings:

Yellowkayak

Adventurer
I have a Pungo 140, 100, Hobie Adventures (2), and a Hobie Outback. ALL of which you can put a person and a good sized dog in or on them. As far as brining a dog along I have not, but I have put my grandson in both the Pungos and the Adventure. i prefer the Hobie Adventure over the Pungo for putting someone or something ON the yak. Its easier to get OFF and ON a SIT-ON-TOP (SOT) kayak than a SIT-IN-KAYAK (SIK). As long as your dog is well behaved the Tarpon 120 will work just fine. Or else you adn the dog will be getting wet alot.

JJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk