WTB: 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban 89-91.

Skyjeep

Observer
Hey guys. Looking for a needle in a haystack.
My top pick would be a 91 with a 454 and standard tranny. Looking for a really nice one and not a beater. Let me know if you hear or know of any. Thanks! I check the sale sections daily everywhere I can think of. Know of any other good sites to look on??

Juanblzer

Observer
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4832018517.html

you are really going to need to search for a 454 and manual. I have had a few suburbans. I managed to find a 350sb with sm465 and I have even found a 91 with the 4l80e and np241 but the engine was wasted.
You might find that getting a 91 and doing an engine swap is easier. I would say installing a newer ls 6.0 would be better than a 454. I just hate single digit mileage. These swaps are getting more and more common. I had a 6.0 swapped into my k5 blazer buggy.

furthermore, if you get a 454 with a manual you will likely end up wanting to upgrade axles. I'm not sure if you already know this but a 14bolt corporate axle and a d60 would be much better suited under a suburban's weight than the customary 10 bolt 1/2 ton stuff. Its an easy upgrade.

I was really hoarding suburbans for a while and planning on such a build but figured I really didnt need another wheeler project. I already have a buggy
photoCAZYCMKT_zpsa6582223.jpg
and a samurai
IMG_0322_zpsf0f315c0.jpg
so I just bought a 2004 suburban 1/2 4x4 and use it only for light duty camping / wheeling.

Last edited:

Skyjeep

Observer
Hey thanks man! Its my understanding tho the 3/4tons have 14 bolt rears. And its rare but there are a few late models with the 454 and 4x4. I'd also take a 91 auto with the 4l80 tranny. The 3/4 tons have a bit beefier frame as well. Thanks for the help!
Half ton would be ok just take more work to get what I want.

Juanblzer

Observer
I've never run into a real corporate 14 bolt full floater rear axle in my suburban searches (unless it was swapped in). I've seen em in a couple of 92-95 burbs but they were never the 1-ton ultra tough units I've come to love. I most plentiful tend to be the semi-float 14bolt (tough but not a full floater).

I love the old tbi stuff (very dependable, easy to find parts, cheap fuel pumps) btw.

Skyjeep

Observer
Well you got me thinking and researching. Thanks man! Wow. Got schooled. Had no idea how many options where out there. I was just under the impression that the 3/4 subs had the good diffs!
Ok. What I need now is a "built" 91 model ready to rock. LOL!!

Juanblzer

Observer
I think that is your best bet. They can be found pretty built. Have you looked on CK5.com? It would save you money and headache to find a sub with axles already swapped in. I am a fan of ARB lockers (most of the 14 bolts Ive run were military surplus and had detroit locking differentials) for the select feature. I have one in my front diff (dana 60) and I swear by it.
here is a crew cab. (put a cap on it and separate all your camping gear from the cab :)
and its in texas. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305091

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism