WTB: AWD/4x4, Light Off-Road / Camp Rig, <$8K.

jmeb

Observer
Last two years I've been driving an AWD '01 Astro van who died returning from a ski trip to Jackson. It is beat to **** and not worth throwing money at. Looking for my next dirtbagging vehicle. Just leaving this hear in case anyone is looking to free up some cash for a new rig.

Requirements:

- <$8k in cash.
- Can drive it home to Denver in a weekend.
- Space to sleep 2 adults (up to 6')+ dog on a platform. 4Runner or early Honda Element is about as small as I want to go. Must have 6ft bed if a truck. Don't need a huge setup, but spend 30-40 nights a year so a bit of space is good.
- AWD or 4x4. Lots of skiing and winter camping.
- Reasonable gas mileage (i.e. 16 or greater on the highway.)
- Capable enough for rutted out FS Roads or TrailDamage around 3 or 4.
- As low mileage and reliable as possible. Prefer <150K.
- Bonus points if easier to work on the the Astro (aka just about anything.)
- Nothing hugely lifted. Small lifts, trail-focused upgrades, camping niceties appreciated.

For all things that I would need to add (e.g. new tires, camper shell, etc) subtract repair/replacement amount from the 8K.

Considering vehicles like (and yes I know these are all over the place): AWD Astro/Safari, 4Runner (3rd gen), Element AWD, Previa All-Trac.

Got something I should consider? Or a local CL find I should investigate?

TheSweatyButcher

Adventurer
Dose not meet all your criterias but I'm only 2 hours south. It's a great camping platform. I have a 10 gallon water tank that can be mounted under the bed. When the tool boxes open they double as a nice surface for a stove http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/154328-1993-Toyota-4x4-Flat-bed-RTT-35-Tires-Canon-City-Colorado

tarditi

Explorer
GMT800 Tahoe (2000-2006)? Easy to find, easy(ish) to work on - put some decent all-terrain tires on it and you're done for much of what you want to do with it.

jmeb

Observer
Cool as **** truck, but way more built than I need. If I lived in the mountains or desert that would be a great rig. GLWS.

Ball

Observer
Hah, I'm in nearly the same boat. My AWD Astro also went kaput, but I'm looking for something larger (Astro just doesn't carry my stuff).

Been considering an AWD Express.

Currently in PDX (although my van died in AZ and I'll have to retrieve my stuff).

Can spend up to $10k (if I really consider it to be awesome). I do nearly all highway miles with the occasional offroad. Prefer an empty cargo van or equivalent.

Ideal would be old school diesel with overdrive (stick would be fine). Considered buying an M-1010 with a NV4500 conversion but landed a job in OR and had to abandon that line of inquiry (can't stand up in an m-1010 anyway, and didn't know how I was going go solve that problem).

Honestly, given the chicken tax my hopes of finding something I want is pretty much nil. I'm probably better off emigrating to any non-US country.

Ball

Observer
PS: Have had six vehicles slip through my fingers already, no doubt bought up by Expedition Portal members who just park it in their driveway and don't actually live in their vehicles due to nagging wives or some other lame excuse.

doubleroses

Adventurer
There is a nice 80 series for sale on Craigslist in Colorado for $6500. It has 220k miles on it but it has the lift and front/rear bumpers already installed. It's locked too. Check out the colorado springs area for Land Cruisers for sale by owner.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jmeb

Observer
There is a nice 80 series for sale on Craigslist in Colorado for $6500. It has 220k miles on it but it has the lift and front/rear bumpers already installed. It's locked too. Check out the colorado springs area for Land Cruisers for sale by owner.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the lead, but I can't find anything of that description on the CoSprings CL. PM the link if it is still up?

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/154484-FS-2002-Nissan-Xterra-4x4

Here is what I have for sale. I understand it has more miles then your looking for but hasn't given me any issues and should/will last forever.

Miles aren't as big as concern as the fact I can't fit in the back. Friends have a same generation X. GLWS.

jmeb

Observer

Ah yep, that's probably it.

Unfortunately I don't think I can justify it as a good purchase for my needs. While I know LCs can go a long way, 232K is still a lot of miles. And with 35s that thing must get what....12mpg on the highway?

This car will see more time on I70, in snow, fire roads, etc than it will wheeling so a few compromises in the sake of mpgs and highway comfort would be preferred.

Currently also hunting Troopers and Monteros which seem like they'd fit the bill, have reasonable mpgs and are relatively undervalued compared to Toyotas.

jmeb

Observer

This actually an ExPo member's rig. Nice setup but I can't spring for that much cash currently on top of the need to do a timing belt right away. I think an SUV probably suits me better than a truck.

Top 3 runners currently. Leaning towards the Astro but need to confirm a few details. Trooper and Montero both seem like rigs that would up my ability to overland a bit, still sleep 2 in the back and have Japanese reliability to boot.

- 1999 Trooper from FL with 88K for $5700: http://www.griffinauto.org/vehicle/185196310 .
- AWD Astro with CCV pop top and 130K.
- 2002 Montero with 128K for $7000: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...l?listingId=419717364&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism