WTB used DSLR

suecyde

Observer
I know this is not the classifieds area, but thought this would be the best place to ask...

My Fiance and I have always had a thing for photography but have never really stepped up to it. So for our new years resolution we are planning on taking a few courses. We are new to photography like women are to driving... "I am supposed to change the oil?:Wow1:"......We don't know squat...well, I don't know squat. She has taken a course on black and white photography but it has been a while...

So to the point: Instead of spending $500+ on a new unit, we are on the prowl for a used DSLR that we can learn from.. use it for the basics and learn all the features of a camera. We hope that after a few courses we will know what features to look for and which camera would suit our needs.

We are looking to spend no more than $250. am I on crack?:wings: I don't know how to price these things so any suggestions on where to look or what to look for in a used DSLR would be helpful. -Hector:coffee:

photoman

Explorer
I know this is not the classifieds area, but thought this would be the best place to ask...

My Fiance and I have always had a thing for photography but have never really stepped up to it. So for our new years resolution we are planning on taking a few courses. We are new to photography like women are to driving... "I am supposed to change the oil?:Wow1:"......We don't know squat...well, I don't know squat. She has taken a course on black and white photography but it has been a while...

So to the point: Instead of spending $500+ on a new unit, we are on the prowl for a used DSLR that we can learn from.. use it for the basics and learn all the features of a camera. We hope that after a few courses we will know what features to look for and which camera would suit our needs.

We are looking to spend no more than $250. am I on crack?:wings: I don't know how to price these things so any suggestions on where to look or what to look for in a used DSLR would be helpful. -Hector:coffee:

That is a pretty small budget to be honest. Not so much for a camera body but to get a lens or two with it that is pretty low. Realistically you will need to be in the $500 range.

Some Examples:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=154574

You could get something like this and then pick up a lens somewhere else.
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=154808

Thinks to look for.
1. Photos of actual Camera, Lenses, etc. If they do not have photos of actual items I would not buy.

2. Post count, seller feedback, etc. Use the online resources to check into the seller. Most forums have the post count, some have ratings for selling and buying, ebay has ratings and feedback.

3. If it sounds too good to be true...... it is. There are a lot of scams in selling gear online. Some of the large storefronts on Ebay are big time scams.

4. If you are unsure ask someone to check out the post and give you some thoughts.

Use the same caution you would as if you were purchasing a vehicle or trailer off this forum or any other online source.

If you are not specific on a Camera brand I may have a Olympus E-500 or E-300 camera body and a lens or two I could package. Let me think on it and come up with a price.

adrenaline503

Explorer
I would shop around at local shops. I just got a brand new Olympus E520 for 235 bucks. It was on sale, then an additional 30% off.

Clark White

Explorer
I have a Nikon D40x I'm looking to get rid of, though I don't think I can go as low as $250. It is in near perfect condition and I have lots of goodies for it. PM me if you are interested.

Clark White

bajasurf

Explorer
I just checked KEH(www.keh.com) and they have a Pentax 100D with lens and accessories for $254 in Excellent Plus condition. Pentax DSLR´s accept any Pentax lens ever produced, or so I have read. If you decide to check out the 100D at KEH once at their site click on "digital" and then "Pentax" and finally "camera outfits" and scroll down until you find the 100D.

Last edited:

slomatt

Adventurer
suecyde,

I recently upgraded my DSLR and have my old Canon Digital Rebel (300D) sitting around. It's in great working condition and good physical condition. There is some wear on the grip and the black plastic around the eye piece is cracked, neither of which effects performance. The camera likes to travel and has been all around Europe and parts of South America.

Anyway, I'd love to sell it to someone who is looking for a first DSLR. It has a full manual mode so you can experiment with aperature, shutter speed, white balance, and ISO.

90% of the pictures at the following link were taken with this camera.

http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/photography

Shoot me a PM if this sounds like it could work for you.

- Matt

mk4

Observer
There's a ton of used bodies out there and almost anyone of them will be great. The only issue with buying a body is that if you buy lenses, you're almost locked in to that brand.

You really can't go wrong with a Nikon, Canon, or Pentax. Any DSLR made in the last few years will give you a great platform to learn on.

The first link that Photoman gave you is my buddy's camera. He bought a 7D. The one for sale is a Canon Xti with about 5K clicks. He's also now throwing in a 2 (or 4) gig SD card.. If I were you I'd try to talk him down to $300. Or if you want me to ask him, I'll do that for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77