Yeti cooler vs. Pelican cooler

HAFICON

Adventurer
Looking for some input I am about to buy a cooler I can get:

Yeti 65quart cooler with 4lb re-useable ice block for $310 shipped, 5 year warranty.
http://yeticoolers.com/tundra-65-cooler/?color=14#warranty-description

Or

Pelican 65 quart cooler for $265 out the door locally, lifetime warranty.
https://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_coolers_print.php?Case=65QT

We use Yeti coolers at work and they are awesome the price difference is not much but the warranty is good on both. We use Pelican boxes for all out gear storage and they are as well top notch. Which would you get?

Last edited:

stingray1300

Explorer
I himmed and hawed for a few months on this very same question. I looked at both in person. Watch videos proclaiming all the attributes of both.
I L-O-V-E my Pelican 45qt... I felt it was a better made. The Pelican has metal locking clasps instead of the rubber flippers. Pelican has rigid handles, Yeti has rope handles. Yeti is not bear proof unless you use padlocks. Pelican has stainless hardware, the Yeti's are aluminum. Yeti did pretty decent job of copying the Pelican, and you really can't go wrong with either one, but if you compare all the features the Pelican comes out on top.
https://youtu.be/FrULpi3nTX4

Last edited:

dirtlimo

Observer
I also went Pelican, 65QT. Mainly because at the time there was $100 difference, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

HAFICON

Adventurer
I believe this is inaccurate. My Yeti is about 15 years old and I believe the Pelican is the new kid on the block, I remember it being announced about a year ago.:coffee:

Yea the Pelican cooler is relatively new to the market. Yeti has been around for well longer than I can remember.

AML

Adventurer
I believe the Pelican is finally coming out with one on wheels. That would be my choice. Loaded up both these coolers are HEAVY.

thefishhawk

Adventurer
Depends on your use if some of those are pros or cons....I use my 10 yo yeti on multiday rafting trips. The Pelican latches may have changed, they are now listed as ABS on their website. I'd say the rubber would be less likely to fail if the latch eats a rock. The beefiness and more positive lock is nice though. Same goes for the handles, break a big plastic handle off and it's broken until you can order a new one. Rope will take the impact and if it does fail, easily field repairable. I doubt anyone cares if the hardware is SS or AI.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, these things are just nitpicking features. All of the rotomolded coolers are a step up. I'd pick the company that stands behind their products the best when spending that kind of money on something like this. learning a few cooler management techniques makes a lot more difference. (pre-chilling, making your own ice, using a cover, etc.) All I know is I can easily still have cubes and a solid block left after 8 days floating in 100 degree weather in Utah and that makes a heck of a difference in the meals on a long trip.

Honu

lost on the mainland
downside to the pelican and some of the molded the outside dimension are 10 inches larger than the inside !!!! that makes them huge IMHO :)

ENGEL coolers is my vote :)

Joker

Adventurer
I also went Pelican, 65QT. Mainly because at the time there was $100 difference, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Yep 65qt Pelican, exact same thing here but for me it was $120 price difference. I also agree, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the brands, get the one you like in the color you like at the price you are happy with. I will tell you the 65qt with ice and beer is a heavy beast.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Well I ordered the Pelican cooler. Best deal I could find was $279 shipped. I really wanted the Yeti but I think the Pelican is better suited for my needs. I will let you know how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven