You Won't Believe These

VikingVince

Explorer
Talk about unique and doing it yourself...Check this out:

www.floatingneutrinos.com

Be sure and look at Absolute Absolution under The Rafts...no sailing experience necessary!!!! :sunflower Maybe I'll crew!!!

Supposedly Son of Town Hall is unsinkable...water moves freely in and out of the hull which is composed of material that floats, unlike a traditional boat made with a watertight hull to keep it afloat.

Really interesting site...

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
VikingVince said:
Talk about unique and doing it yourself...Check this out:
www.floatingneutrinos.com

Be sure and look at Absolute Absolution under The Rafts...no sailing experience necessary!!!! :sunflower Maybe I'll crew!!!

Supposedly Son of Town Hall is unsinkable...water moves freely in and out of the hull which is composed of material that floats, unlike a traditional boat made with a watertight hull to keep it afloat.

Really interesting site...

WOW! That is some very interesting reading indeed!! Very cool!!! However, i have not sent in my application to crew with them just yet :D

Question, how on earth did you find that site???

Last edited:

91xlt

Adventurer
Question, how on earth did you find that site???[/QUOTE]

can't wait to haere this answer...:beer:

VikingVince

Explorer
LOL...good question :clapsmile ...I thought somebody might wonder about that. Well, it WAS a rather odd idea that I was searching the web for...I have this idea to build a portable houseboat on a catamaran style frame. The basic idea: the two hulls would be inflatable pontoons with a rigid frame on top...then a tent or screen room attached to the frame for sleeping/cooking...you could go out onto the bays of Baja for a few days at a time!!! As you might guess, nobody makes anything like that...I was searching for components...and that's how I came across that website.

HINO SG

Adventurer
transatlantic rafters

Interesting bunch of people. I just helped some of these travelers convert a school bus into a vegetable oil fueled camper.

Very resourceful......that's for sure.

Evan

VikingVince

Explorer
Jonathan Hanson said:
C'mon, Vince: You know what you really need:

Drakkar

:jump: Talk about a perfect site for VIKINGVince:exclaim: ...that's it...so Jonathan, what will I get you out on?... the Drakkar or the portable houseboat?:D :D

hinoranger...you mean the very people from that website? Cool...one would expect them to have biofuel!

HINO SG

Adventurer
raft people

No, sorry- not literally those exact same people, just their tribal cousins here in Minnesota. Some of them actually did take similar craft down the Mississippi last summer.

I was reminded what a value a carefully chosen used school bus can be. They picked up DT466 powered 38ft bus with air ride suspention in very good running order and average exterior condition for less than $1500, about half or a third of a what box truck with the same running gear would cost.

Not great off-road, but a ton more ground clearance than an RV, for comparison.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Hey Vince, my last name is Hanson, after all. I'll take the longship. Although my wife claims she's going to give me a flaming Viking funeral in my sea kayak. I don't know: Somehow burning fiberglass just wouldn't have the same dramatic effect . . .

VikingVince

Explorer
Jonathan...I figured you'd take the longship:elkgrin:...although that Norse blood flows strongly in your veins, just keep in mind there will be no fiberglass on my portable houseboat:exclaim: In case anyone is interested, Jacks Plastic Welding is a good site for inflatable components/rafts/custom designs...

www.jpwinc.com

hinoranger...you're a Minnesotan...cool!!!...I grew up there...I have to come back several times this summer for family matters...what part of the state are you in? if I could find a good used school bus for $1500, I'd buy it...make it into a Baja Bus!...used school buses are alot more $$$$ here in southern CA

HINO SG

Adventurer
used school raft, er, bus for sale

Vince-

I'm in Minneapolis. These buses strck me as a better than average deal- but not unheard of. Last I checked there was one left, this one a DT444 powered 35 footer (65 pass?). The best thing was that, even though relatively old (1990), they had been in service until recently. Are you serious? I don't have a digital camera but I can get you some pics.
I don't know of anything that could be outside of the ordinary for a used but well-maintained machine. A couple of the tires are satisfactory- maybe only just- and several are brand-new. and some rust.

Evan

VikingVince

Explorer
Evan...I'm quasi-serious about the bus. My problem is I don't have a place to park it; I would have to rent a storage space and then there's the logistal problem of working on it/all tools where I live, bus in storage place etc. But $1500 is so cheap...unless it needs major overhaul on engine, tranny, other systems etc...I'm tempted to look at it and consider storing it...do you happen to know the approx. mileage? Do you have any idea if it could be driven to CA in its present state?...or am I looking at overheating, various system breakdowns. Sorry...all this may well be more than you know about it. BTW, I'll be about 120 miles south of Mpls...have to sell my mom's house and all the stuff in it.
thanks...vince

HINO SG

Adventurer
exporting a bus to California

Well, the last one that just sold is actually on it's way to S.F. at the moment... and I'm not too worried about him making it.

A few points.
The odometer does only say 51XXX mi., probably too good to be true, but everything about the bus is consistant with being well-maintained and relatively low milage for a '90.

Front tires have ~50% remaining, rears are a little bit funny; one side are practicaly brand new, 90%, and the other side is mostly worn out- under 30%
I still wouldn't be worried about driving it to CA unless you were planning to cross the Rockies in the middle of a blizzard.

It is an automatic. I have no reason to belive engine and transmission arn't solid.

I'll start looking into it, though, and get some more detailed answers.

p-mail me at emartin@eworld3.net

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk