4Runner Trail or SR5?

Ryan1975

Observer
I made this exact thread over on yotatech with limited replies.

http://www.yotatech.com/f193/2012-trail-ordering-summer-delivery-w-arb-options-strategy-249163

but I've also been reading and researching extensively on the subject.

For me - I believe the Trail edition is the better starting point even if it is $5-7,000 more expensive. I will also be taking this one step further with the addition of ARB aftermarket addons available through the XPlore program. It won't be a cheap venture, but after researching different vehicles at length and trying to decide what I need out of a vehicle, the 4Runner will be making a return to my garage.

Last edited:

ssmathis

Observer
I vote trail edition, but I'm biased since I have one. IMHO definitely worth the difference. But, if you get a trail then I recommend getting the KDSS system. It makes a huge difference in how it drives. I have a shoreline blue with ARB bumper, Warn 9.5xp winch, OME lift and currently stock size Goodyear Duratracs.

Scott

cydonia-jacc

Observer
I was seriously considering the Trail Edition but it's not offered with the third row option which unfortunately eliminates it from my list.

jason04

Observer
If the difference is really $5-7K I'd go with the SR5. Don't know what your plans are but for that sort of money you could lock the front & rear with ARB air lockers add OME suspension, sliders and a good A/T tire and you'll have a better rig imo

SR5 for the win!

sandcrawler

Observer
Trail with KDSS

i can't imagine your regretting the Trail with KDSS. factory locker, ATRAC (SR5 also has), better stock approach and departure angles, the trickledown LandCruiser crawl control and multi-terrain electronic doodads... it's a great rig. not too much happening on 120 yet re: the 5th gens (i suppose it's a Toyota 150 platform, after all)... try t4r.org.

montypower

Adventure Time!
It depends on the tire size you're planning to run and whether or not you'd want to re-gear. You could get an SR5 and have it re-geared and fully locked up with ARBs front/rear for $5-7k. If you're staying 32" or smaller tires and don't want to modify anything then get the Trail. The ARB locker is far superior to the elocker IMHO (I've had both).

stevek

Observer
I'd go SR5 and spend the savings on upgrades. When I was buying mine (I have an 11 SR5) the cost difference just wasnt worth it when push came to shove, especially since I planned on upgrading the suspension and bumpers. The only thing that would have been cool is KDSS but it just wasnt worth the 5-6k more I would have had to spend for a Trail!

sandcrawler

Observer
It depends on the tire size you're planning to run and whether or not you'd want to re-gear. You could get an SR5 and have it re-geared and fully locked up with ARBs front/rear for $5-7k. If you're staying 32" or smaller tires and don't want to modify anything then get the Trail. The ARB locker is far superior to the elocker IMHO (I've had both).
FYI: plenty of folks are running 33"s without re-gearing and no problems.

Leo504

Brewmaster
I'm running 33's with a 3" lift on my 2011 Trail with KDSS with no re-gearing and no issues aside from my speedo being slightly off. IMHO, KDSS makes a huge difference and is well worth it.

6917634417_e32249ee00_z.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles