DIY Trailer / Roof Top Tent

Mayne

Explorer
Hi,
I love your concept, but I would like to see a longer ish changing room. I have two dogs, and would like a place to put them. Is this something that could be done after the fact, or???

Thanks
Mayne

compactcamping

Explorer
Mayne, glad to hear you like the concept. The awning over the door, which is part of the tent body, has a zipper around the perimeter. So it's possible to make a larger / longer changing room that attaches to it. I've toyed with the idea of making one that extends down from the awning at ~45 degree to the ground on the current door side, then move the entry door to the side. Being "peak" season right now, would most likely be Fall before I could prototype one up.

compactcamping

Explorer
Mayne, will do ...

Here is a shoot of it with a changing room on in the new green color.

iAC7F7EFD-C6A8-4C1F-B940-04D12DC12A80.jpg

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
:Wow1: Nice set up, I wonder if I could pull that with my 1600 cruiser?? Outta be selling those to bike campers....

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Ozarker, Thanks ... Yes, it's been done, here is a build thread from over on MotoCampers, Building my own Tent Trailer

i0C42508C-DCAC-4452-AA76-08A90491E386.jpg

Cool, I bought the same Harbor Freight trailer a couple years ago. My plan was to put trash containers on it to pull out to the highway for trash pickup from my cabin...but plan was changed and I never put it together....I need to go get that thing and do something with it.....like rig it for the bike.....Good Job!

compactcamping

Explorer
It is always nice when you find a good use for something that has been laying around for a while. Note: this build was by someone who purchased a MOAB, not myself.

compactcamping

Explorer
Hmmm, if you want to move it between your trailer and truck, just build a full platform for it. Then you would remove the whole unit, just like a "regular" rooftop style tent, storing it indoors when on in use. I wrote a guide on Building a MOAB Platform, check it out.

Being in Oregon I know all about wet, rainy, mildew and moss. For sitting outdoors between uses, just make sure it's dry and don't snap the cover down so you can get some ventiation. The covers are waterproof, although sometimes need a little seam sealing. Oh yes mice too, after the first cold snap my traps in the garage and shop are full every morning for about a week.

compactcamping

Explorer
Mayne, Not ready to start prototyping for a bit, but would extending the door end out at a 30-45 degrees, adding 3-4' to the changing room footprint and moving the door to the side met your needs?

Mayne

Explorer
So total would be 4.5' by 7' then yes definitly. That would take care of my needs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior