DIY Trailer / Roof Top Tent

compactcamping

Explorer
Squatchout, it's always helpful to hear what people like and don't like, I greatly apperciate it when people are will to take the time to share. The more information you have the better decisions you can make and unexpected insights you stumble into.

I personally believe the overall economy would be much stronger if the foundation was based on micro-businesses verses faceless big-box businesses. I'm going to stop here before I get going ... thanks for being interested in supporting the little guy.

Van, Thanks ...

Last edited:

pyrate

Rollin' along
Do you find any need to put stabilizing legs on the trailer? Something to keep the trailer from flipping on it's back if the tongue isn't weighted correctly or to not have issues in sleeping in crosswinds?

compactcamping

Explorer
I have stabilizer jacks on the rear just to be safe. Here is a picture of test fitting them when the frame was being built.

i85E25E16-B75A-4215-97DE-256F66942AC0.jpg

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, I realize this is an old thread, I was researching the topic on the inetrnet and it was linked from elsewhere! So, has this progressed?

Any advances on using hard sides that could fold up, lock in place and lift a roof? Yes, I'm still at it!

And, have a couple questions.

I have seen pics of these in Africa, I can see that, being up off the ground would at least think you were safer. Why in the world do people mount these on cars with ladders? What are the advantages? Besides looking cool, what's the deal?

I can think of some disadvantages, like having to park on a level area! Campgrounds have pads or sites, but off road you don't always have a flat area topark on. Mounted on a vehicle, I have not seen a leveler on the roof.

And, they are up so high you need a ladder. What I'm thinking is a much lower mount on a trailer (that can be leveled) about 30 inches off the ground so you can just hop in, like a highboy bed! I don't want to have to crawl on the ground anymore!

Now, let's say it's raining and dark out. You'd like a snack and something to drink, but don't want to get out. So, is there a flap in the floor that you can open a hatch on a trailer and reach down to the cooler. Just peel back the bedding and get into the galley area? If you're up offthe ground I don't see why you need a water proof sealed floor. Maybe flaps around the tent that hang below like a skirt over the trailer top would keep the water out. Anything like that?

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Ozarker, refresh my memory, I not sure what you are referring to on hard sides?

I had asked some time ago about having panels, maybe snap together, that could be put on a trailer, harder sides, maybe tent like windows or hard lexan. Just thinking it would be tougher than tents, cooler, warmer, etc.
Kinda like the fold up "A" frame, but more like a teardrop.

compactcamping

Explorer
Ok, now I'm remembering, my thinking would be using a canvas joint approach like the folding Boy Scout kayaks. The panel pieces could be plastic or plywood. The fun part will be designing a clean way for it to fold up when not in use. This is on my list of ideas that might prove to be interesting, although non of my of current projects have an application for it, so hard to say when I might be exploring it.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Yes, I was thinking of using insulation board sandwiched between 1/8th inch ply and then canvas. A gap beteen the boards would allow for it to fold. I was thinking it could snap to a sold top and along the bottom. 42" hard sides on the trailer (or pickup bed) and 30 or 32" canvas "hard" sides.

Guess there's lots of ways of doing it.

compactcamping

Explorer
A while back I posted about switching which side folded open.

Here is a first look at rotating them 180 degrees. I find climbing in the top of the trailer is more stable and eliminates the possible leverage effect an extended platform can have on the trailer. I believe this also makes for a more aesthetically pleasing style. Note: It has the same style entry door awning as before, just need to finish sizing the poles.

iB95734A1-C146-4F69-BE3E-DFA2BCF7405D.jpg

What do you think?

JamesDowning

Explorer
Nice derivative. Do you sleep with your feet in the narrow end? If so, makes sense to have the center of mass over the axles instead of cantilevered out.

compactcamping

Explorer
Glad to hear people like rotating it, I think it works much nicer.

thebrassnuckles, complete kits from the first batch were going for $799. I expect the second batch to be the same, although I will now also offer it without a changing room at a low price.

JamesDowning, Yes you sleep with your feet towards to shorter end.

18seeds

Explorer
hmm that design would have work MUCH better on my tacoma with MOAB tent. It would have allowed me to have the tent flip out over the driver side thus eliminating the need for any support legs. Eliminating the need for the ladder would have been better. Less stuff. Could have used a simple lowes platform step.

i like it. although now i have a 4runner...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan