Best sub $100 air compressor?

alfio

Adventurer
funny how some of these products get *inflated* so fast (sorry, couldn't help it). i looked into both the MV-50/MF-150, can't find ether for less than $78. how did these go from $25 to $79!!!

matt s

Explorer
Picked up an MV50 at Oreily's a few years ago for $49. Works fine. Had problems blowing the in-line fuse. Now I keep 1/2 dozen in the bag.

Used it Saturday to air up 30x9.5 from 15 to 40 front and 15-35 rear. Didn't blow a fuse. It seems to only do that with repeated on/off cycles while checking the gauage.

A finally fiqured out the guage reads +10 psi higher than acutal psi when the unit is turned off. So...I watch the guage while it's running and shows approx +10psi over my target psi...then shut it down and move to the next tire.

Hope that helps all you other MV50 users...:)

Yeah mine is that way too but only about 5 psi off. Once you figure out how much it's off it's pretty simple to use. Have to say the MV-50 is likely some of the best bang for the buck money Ive spent on my rig.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yeah mine is that way too but only about 5 psi off. Once you figure out how much it's off it's pretty simple to use. Have to say the MV-50 is likely some of the best bang for the buck money Ive spent on my rig.

x2. My gauge also reads about 5 psi low.

Even with other inflation options, I still like these. With moderate size tires they work well, are fast enough, portable and are/were relatively inexpensive. At $50.00 I could afford to put one in each truck.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
I have a new MV-50, out of the box but never used, will gladly ship it in it's new home (mil spec night vision case) if anyone can't get there hands on one.

Thanks
Sam

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
funny how some of these products get *inflated* so fast (sorry, couldn't help it). i looked into both the MV-50/MF-150, can't find ether for less than $78. how did these go from $25 to $79!!!

If you can find a better compressor for the price then you can complain...bet you can't.

$25 was a ridiculous price for those...I bought two back then :) . When you compared it to any other $25 compressor at the time, there was simply nothing comparable, just those "250 psi" things that take about a day to inflate one tire.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I have an MV-50 also, and it seems like a good compressor, but I don't care for the connector on it much, I plan on changing it for a standard chuck. Still, the compressor and hose/chuck change is still under $100.

The compressor is designed to have an open chuck so just be sure you use one instead of a closed chuck or you may find your compressor potentially dying sooner than normal.

I am one of the few who has had problems with the MV50. I have had 2. The first one never did work, so it was exchanged for another. The second one works when it feels like. Sometimes getting such a poor connection it actually deflates the tire even when on. These were both from a few years back, so they may have gotten better since then. If i could find one for the old $25 price, i might give the newer model a try. I'm still using my $15 Kragen Auto Truck Air Compressor that i have had for 8 years. It's slow, but has never let me down.

I also had problems with mine when I mistakenly used one without its inlet filter. Ended up accidentally ingesting some sand which in turn ended up destroying the compressor.

ive got one of the butane models too. works so well i dont even bother with the electric anymore.
A Weller butane soldering iron is a standard part of my toolkit although I no longer solder connections that aren't soldered at the factory. They're better at handling off road rigors when crimped.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Heh, "adjusting" air pressure is one thing...going from 12 to 35 psi on four 35" tires is another.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I once won a little plastic chain store air compressor in a wee bag at a company BBQ once. I had a really low spare on my Daytona and thought I would test it out. Was at like 20 PSI and I swear it took 40 minutes to get it to 35. The whole time whining and vibrating around in circles...lol. Sad really that they were selling these things.

It go so hot it wouldn't turn on. I binned it.

Looks like I might have a new MV-50 in my future?

ssssnake529

Explorer
Heh, "adjusting" air pressure is one thing...going from 12 to 35 psi on four 35" tires is another.

I regularly use it to make 15 psi adjustments on 345/30/19 tires, which are pretty big for car tires.

Not nearly as much volume as in a big offroad truck tire, though, so you're probably right about it being a bit undergunned for that use. (I use an ARB compressor for my truck tires.)

fishEH

Explorer
I regularly use it to make 15 psi adjustments on 345/30/19 tires, which are pretty big for car tires.

Not nearly as much volume as in a big offroad truck tire, though, so you're probably right about it being a bit undergunned for that use. (I use an ARB compressor for my truck tires.)

Which ARB compressor do you have? How satisfied with its tire filling ability are you? I'm in the market for a compressor for my rear ARB and to air my tires back up.

Contact your Congress members and demand an explanation for the decline in the dollar's value. Your dollar is worth less than it was 5 years ago. Please look for the "Gold and Silver" thread to understand more fully why that is. Sorry, I promise not to bring it up here anymore, as I am interested in getting a compressor myself.

Should I get a compressor like that or a battery jump pack that has one incorporated into it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78