Best sub $100 air compressor?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
soonenough said:
Couldn't agree more. I have the Tsunami version, and it's a great little compressor, but the wiring leaves something to be desired. I had a wire come out of the fuse holder while I was airing up after wheeling, and had to patch it up as best I could to finish airing back up. Not to mention it was like 100+ degrees out and the wiring was scalding hot from 10 minutes of constant use. Maybe I should add a soldering iron to my toolkit?
QST, the ARRL(American Radio Relay League) club mag did a writ up a couple of months ago on butane soldering irons. I'm thinking of getting one.

KG6BWS

Explorer
rusty_tlc said:
QST, the ARRL(American Radio Relay League) club mag did a writ up a couple of months ago on butane soldering irons. I'm thinking of getting one.

ive got one of the butane models too. works so well i dont even bother with the electric anymore.

hoser

Explorer
$100? Hmm, that is tough. I'd look into the PUMA 12V. I know it is $200 but one could separate the tank and sell that off and bring the cost down some. This compressor is rumored to have close ties to Extremeaire or MaxAir but I have not been able to compare them closely.

theksmith

Explorer
Gotta vote for the MV-50/MF-150 as well. i bought one from pepboys like 4 years ago and it's still working. I recently got a spare one at costco since they had them for $50. The brand new one airs up slightly faster than the old one, which i attribute to normal 4 years of wear.

I think the only other compressor under $100 that can air up 4 large tires repeatedly without dying would be the "Truck Air". I had one of those as well and it was about 10 times slower than the MV-50.

the connector on the MV-50 can be a pain, i replaced the whole assembly with a standard coiled hose and a straight flow-thru (open) chuck such as this: http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=183

motomech

Adventurer
I'm not sure why they list the MF-1050 as having dual pistons they both look the same to me?The MV-50 has alligator clips too.

One says its from "Masterflow" (MF-1050)
And the other says its from "Q-Industries" (MV-50)

Red Zebra

Adventurer
Picked up an MV50 at Oreily's a few years ago for $49. Works fine. Had problems blowing the in-line fuse. Now I keep 1/2 dozen in the bag.

Used it Saturday to air up 30x9.5 from 15 to 40 front and 15-35 rear. Didn't blow a fuse. It seems to only do that with repeated on/off cycles while checking the gauage.

A finally fiqured out the guage reads +10 psi higher than acutal psi when the unit is turned off. So...I watch the guage while it's running and shows approx +10psi over my target psi...then shut it down and move to the next tire.

Hope that helps all you other MV50 users...:)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Had what I believe is a unique or at least rare failure with one of my MV-50's. One of the high current wires failed it's soldered joint on the internal relay. It did this in transit, not in use. Got it out to pump up the Spud-B-Gone (tm) pneumatic spud launcher and it wouldn't run. I removed the end cap and found the wire separated at the soldered joint.

I hadn't ever opened up the compressor, so I was pleasantly surprised to find a relay in there. I figured that I would be having to by-pass the switch.

soonenough

Explorer
Had what I believe is a unique or at least rare failure with one of my MV-50's. One of the high current wires failed it's soldered joint on the internal relay. It did this in transit, not in use.
Interesting. I just posted in another thread about mine failing at the soldered joint where one of the wires attaches to the in-line fuse holder. I think the wiring is one aspect of that compressor that is seriously lacking.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Best ~US$30 Compressor Deal!

MaddBaggins put me onto Costco having these so I checked it out.

I got one (Nov 6/08) for US$29.97+ local taxes MF 1052 Quick-Maxx by MasterFlow with air filter from Costco in San Marcos, CA while I was waiting for a guy to deliver something that never happened. Asked the front door attendant which aisle to go to for compressors and he phoned for instructions. They said they didn't have any... so I went in anyways, and found about 30 of them on a palate!

Tried it out numerous times while filling up tires at SnT08 as people were headin' out to go home or to Pozo. Also got a chance to try it out in DV at the end when we both filled up near Goldfield. Each time it worked great, has a long pumping time than the MV-50 and doesn't get as hot so quick. Two trucks from 20 lbs to 40 lbs in about 15 minutes, yes all eight feet!

Comes with a black zippered bag with 2 clips to hold it together and two compartments (one for the compressor with spots for the battery clamps and one for the hose/tubing and attachments, yes for air mattresses, balls, and a cleaner attachment to blow out dirt from equipment). Best purchase I have had in awhile. Very happy with it. Also checked my local Kanukistan Kostko and they will honour the warranty if required.

Somebody email/PM me as to why my photos aren't showing up?

Attachments

• Kostco Kompressor.jpg
    Kostco Kompressor.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 225
  • P1310002.JPG
    P1310002.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 220
  • P1310003.JPG
    P1310003.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 176
  • P1310004.JPG
    P1310004.JPG
    294.1 KB · Views: 159
  • P1310005.JPG
    P1310005.JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

KG6BWS

Explorer
FYI I tried to replace the fitting, but the outlet on my MV50 did not fit a standard NPT. Must be some weird metric thread size? I ended up cutting the hose and using a barb to adapt.

i just used an 1/8" male x 3'8" female adapter. worked just fine on mine.

T4Rfun

I'll cast another vote for the MV50. I've had mine for a few months and have used it about 5-6 times. Of course a few of those times also included airing up others with me. The only problem I had with mine is that the air chuck was bad when I got it new, but instead of hassling the return I just replaced it myself. Considering the price, this little compressor works great and airs up my 275/70-17's in a very reasonable time. I'll continue to use it until I add on-board air, then I'll probably carry this from time to time as a back-up or for others to borrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78