The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

deeppurpleman

Another undocumented option. I wish FWC would update their website with all the possible options so you could see what's available.

Quote: "I also special ordered the camper with a larger pull out for the bed, giving me a ''king'' size bed."

Hmmm, does the ''king size bed" come standard on the Hawk I just ordered?
Didn't see that on the option list.
At 6'4'' I need all the room I can get.

Congrats on the camper, I have about another month to wait for my camper AND truck.

Edit: Guess I will answer my own question, got a email back from FWC:
Yes we do have a King slide option $395.00, but you will have to order
flush mount appliances which are an additional $ 600.00.

For a grand I'll pass.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I think you did pretty good on the weight when you consider all the extras. I am actually surprised that the list you rattled off didn't ad up to over a hundred plus, seeing that the Tacoma's need those big bars at 30 pounds by themselves and the bed mat might be pushing or over 20 lbs.

In a way it was 100 pounds, as the bare camper is noted to weigh ''around'' 550.

I am now going to be following this thread very close. Can't wait to see your build and I have a feeling that I may be "borrowing" a few idea's. :bowdown:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
No pictures still....I think Nathanael must've passed out from inhaling too much of the new camper smell.

I was just out in the camper making some measurements, and I must say it does smell good. Ahhh, new camper, yum.

Not much has been done, mostly finalizing of ideas. I will say that tomorrow I am purchasing a roll of aluminum and possibly a hole saw. This weekend I will get some work done, and some photos.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Another undocumented option. I wish FWC would update their website with all the possible options so you could see what's available.

The king bed was something I came up with and asked if they could do, so it was a special request.

I do strongly agree they need their new website up and running.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
I am disappointed!

Here you are a fantastic photographer and we get one night time picture and a shadow shot ?????
What's up wit dat?

FWIW, my average fuel economy with the camper on is 14.6.

Jeff:coffee:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Nathaniel, one thing I'd recommend from experience with doing things to our camper, spend a few nights in it before you start doing ANYTHING to it.

We had all these grandiose ideas on items we thought would need changing and customization right away....then we went out camping for a weekend in the middle of the winter and really learned about items that took a precedence over our cosmetic things we had planned. If you cant go out and go camping, sleep in it in your driveway or garage just to get a good feel for everything.

And like everyone else, friggin' set up that big box camera of yours and push the shutter button :costumed-smiley-007

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Nathaniel, one thing I'd recommend from experience with doing things to our camper, spend a few nights in it before you start doing ANYTHING to it.

We had all these grandiose ideas on items we thought would need changing and customization right away....then we went out camping for a weekend in the middle of the winter and really learned about items that took a precedence over our cosmetic things we had planned. If you cant go out and go camping, sleep in it in your driveway or garage just to get a good feel for everything.

Good idea, but right now it is just an empty space. I am thinking about layout while I am beginning working in there and I might make a couple minor changes. Hope to have the main hob/sink layout figured out today.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Can I put my .02 in?

If I may, I would like to chime in on your layout ideas. Being an owner of an existing rig a lot like yours, this is what I have found.
The Tacoma is already driver side heavy. Battery, fuel tank and driver are all on the same side.
Then we add the FWC camper with everything on the same drivers side.
There in lies the reason for my air bags. I usually run 10 to 15 lbs. more in the drivers side bag.
If it were me, I would put as much weight on the passenger side and in front of the axle.
And as low as possible.
I am jealous, I would love to start with a blank slate.
I am tempted to sell my camper and start over again.

Jeff

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I had a couple hours last night to work on the camper. I mostly deconstructed in preparation for some of my personal tastes.

I pulled out the last little piece of carpet in the camper. I hate carpet in a camper, it holds dirt and is impossible to clean on the road.

img0521az.jpg

img0520gt.jpg

I found a wire and the campers serial number. Anybody know what the red wire is for?

img0523g.jpg

I also removed the turnbuckle access hatches. Going to remake them with something other than 1/2 material, saving a couple pounds. Thinking aluminum to match the aluminum sheet that is going on the inside.

img0519t.jpg

Also pulled off the ''trim'' strips that are on the ceiling. I have dark wood trim that will be going up in its place, matching yachts from the 80s.

img0524be.jpg

I pulled everything mounted to the ceiling and in the process I found my solar wiring.

img0526jc.jpg

A growing pile of stuff pulled out.

img0525wo.jpg

Well the sun just rose, time to get out to the camper!

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
If I may, I would like to chime in on your layout ideas. Being an owner of an existing rig a lot like yours, this is what I have found.
The Tacoma is already driver side heavy. Battery, fuel tank and driver are all on the same side.
Then we add the FWC camper with everything on the same drivers side.
There in lies the reason for my air bags. I usually run 10 to 15 lbs. more in the drivers side bag.
If it were me, I would put as much weight on the passenger side and in front of the axle.
And as low as possible.
I am jealous, I would love to start with a blank slate.
I am tempted to sell my camper and start over again.

Jeff

That is what I am thinking. Changing my L shaped counter top from the left side of the camper to the right. That way the camper would be heavier on the passenger side. This would also put my couch on the drivers side, and I am finding that is the side I like to sit on so I can look out the window. I am also moving the heater to the front of the camper, putting more weight between the axels.

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Could you show a pic of the interrior from the door so we can see waht a shell really looks like .Thanks .Good luck with it.

Doc Foster

Adventurer
Could you show a pic of the interrior from the door so we can see waht a shell really looks like .Thanks .Good luck with it.

Yes, please don't scrimp on the pictures. I have been following your thread, and am eager to see how everything turns out, as what you have planned so far is pretty close to what I have in mind for my truck as well. I also agree is trying to keep as much weight as possible on the passenger side as Jeff stated earlier. Keep us all posted.

craig333

Expedition Leader
That red wire probably goes to the exterior lights. I don't know about removing the carpet. Losing a lot of insulation that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12