Full-Size Pick Ups, Builds, Ideas, and Trips.

clandr1

Adventurer
Good idea for a thread.

1989 GMC Jimmy w/ 350 TBI & 700R4

Current mods:

2.5" Superlift (1.5" blocks in rear to help w/ saggy butt syndrome)
Offroad Design sway bar quick disconnect kit
Offroad Design steering box weld in frame kit & frame brace bolt on kit
Warn 8274 winch on Warn bumper
G80 lockers installed front and rear
Dual battery setup (civilian diesel with a battery on each side) connected by Blue Sea isolator kit along with manual connect kit for self jumping
Primary battery: DieHard Platinum. Aux battery: blue top optima
DIY battery voltage display (in cab)
ARB fridge/freezer
Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm HAM rig
Garmin GPSMap60C in suction cup RAM mount
33x10.5x15 BFG AT on 15" factory steel rally wheels

Future mods:

install 4.10 gears (currently 3.42)
slip yoke elminator and new front/rear driveshafts

How it looked the day I bought it:

Last edited:

SGTTOM

New Explorer
That's a great rig, I'm really hoping to get to the same capability someday. I deffinately like where you are going with it. I want to get the whole dual battery and do a fridge and stuff some day. One step at a time, I'm combing the AT website now looking at all of their amazing conversions! Keep posting on the thread, and if you are taking any trips post some info and action pics!

SGTTOM

New Explorer
If anybody has any amazing tips on saving money during the build process please let me know. I'm deffinately on a budget for now!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
My Dodge.....

IMAG0050.jpg

1992 Dodge W250, regular cab, longbed
Intercooled Cummins 6bt, 5spd manual, np205 t-case, D70 rear, D60 front, 3.54 gears, rear powr-lok diff

1410 front driveshaft
Leveling springs in front
Crossover steering conversion

Sectioned and stretched fenders, 6" rear, 8" front

Old pic above with 325/85/16 Michelin tires ( 38.5" tall )
Now on 38.5x13.5x17 Pitbull Maddog Radial tires with 17x9, 5" BS, black steel wheels ( 3600lbs per corner load ratting min )

Custom minimal front bumper with recovery points

$100 craigslist camper shell
Marine plywood wrapped with Marine carpet on the floor of the bed
Old Futon mattress to sleep on.
Full size spare up against the drivers bed rail ahead of the wheel tub ( perfect location! )

The truck just flat works. Its simple enough to be reliable, gets 20mpg+ on the highway, 15-17 towing. The only real downside is the overall size. If you want to 'wheel it....its just too big. It works GREAT for everything else. I drive it daily to work, take it on 1000mile trips, tow my other junk around with it, haul stuff, camp in the back, etc.

towrig1.jpg

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Man, that is a beast! I also like the looks of what you have in the trailer. Very cool. I'm driving my truck daily as well, I may look for another car once it's built though. Lot's of wieght to come I'm sure.

clandr1

Adventurer
If anybody has any amazing tips on saving money during the build process please let me know. I'm deffinately on a budget for now!

The best thing I did was surf Craigslist. Here's a few of the deals I got:

Warn bumper $200
Warn 8274 $600
Factory 15" rally wheels $80 for four
ARB Fridge/freezer $220
Blue top Optima $90 (new in wrapping)

...gets 20mpg+ on the highway, 15-17 towing.

I hate you for that statement alone :D

Last edited:

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Crismateski, I love that truck, Power Wagons are nothing less than amazing! I will definately read the build thread!

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur

It's probably not what you want to hear . . . but if you want to save money on a build - then don't build. Take the $$$ you saved from not buying [what ever], and put it in the gas tank, then go somewhere cool.

My truck has a couple of gauges (boost, EGT, trans temp, & fuel pressure), and a 2" leveling kit to clear a decent set of tires, and a 22 year old four wheel camper. No skid plates, no fancy bumpers, no snorkel, no winch, etc . . .

Don't fall into the trap of modifying a vehicle so much that you can't afford to actually use it.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Not spending too much money is solid advise, I have heard that before. I won't buy anything until I can honestly afford it, so for now I'll pretty much be following that advise. I guess it's the build that's fun, and making the vehicle yours. I would imagine it also depends on a lot of what you want to you do with your vehicle. My plan for now is to start exploring and get gear as I see appropriate. I still like the idea of some things, but I doubt I will be fording rivers so I'm not concerned about a snorkel. I just want to be able to safely explore the wilderness and enjoy my four wheel drive. I like the idea of being self-sustained. I think that I will just start with some simple recovery gear, and an air compressor. Not overly expensive yet just important stuff, the essentials. Thanks for speaking from another point of view it's good to hear mulitple ideas.

crismateski

American Adventurist
Saving money on a build is important, Craigslist is great, also watch the for sale section here. One thing to remember, is it is sometimes more expensive to save money. What I mean by that is, if you really want an LED light bar, dont go buy KC lights unless you have to have the extra light. It will cost you a lot more in the long run to buy the compromise, then get what you want. Just save up your money for what you really want, you will end up buying it anyways

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Makes sense. I usually like to wait until I can get a quality product when it comes to anything I buy. I have plenty of time to save and do the research. Like I said before I will just start going out and having fun, then I will get gear as I need it. My goal now is simply to protect my truck(armor), and to come up with some good storage. I also really want to find a good sleeping arrangement for now a simple ground tent, but hopefully next year something like a nice RTT like the one I mentioned before, or if I can save enough someday maybe find a nice flip pac. I'm in no hurry, just want to have fun. My LONG term goal is to have a truck that can support my wife, dog, and myself for an extended period of time and do so somewhat comfortably, with easy set up. Thanks for all the input guys, please keep it coming! Maybe get some more trucks up on this thread.

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
Another member of the First Gen Mafia reporting in:

6714936049_33686e360c_b.jpg

1992 Dodge W250. Drivetrain's identical to Metcalf's, just with a really, really long rear driveshaft :bike_rider:

2" leveling kit, 315/75/16 Cooper STTs. The motor has a few modifications: HX35 turbo, Denny T, 366 spring, blah blah blah. I've added a number of comfort and convenience modifications like an OBA system and a bunch of unnecessary miscellaneous junk :elkgrin:

Though I have an official build thread, I've found keeping it updated to be challenging, as the truck just works flawlessly, and I can find very little I want to change for my purposes. It gets me everywhere I want to go with an absolute minimum of fuss.

The next major project is to build a high-rise camper shell for the back, which I will be (hopefully) starting this summer.

IMG_0033.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12