AmboVan Restarted

hobietony

Explorer
What a difference a week makes...

Tax weekend, I had concerns that my glow plugs were going to be up to the task. This weekend here in Tucson, we just about tickled 100 degrees. Perfect day for etcatmeat to drive out from Cali to pluck the leveling hydraulics from the doner van.

He is under there somewhere in the weeds. Luckily, I think the feral cats have just been pissing in the vehicle, and not under it
P4220069.jpg

Tried to make it a little better with some shade...
P4220071.jpg

P4220070.jpg

In two hours he had it all packed away, and ready to hit the road again. Hope you made it home safe, Marcus. Looking forward to see how these get mounted to your MonsterRV
P4220075.jpg

etcatmeat

Observer

In two hours he had it all packed away, and ready to hit the road again. Hope you made it home safe, Marcus. Looking forward to see how these get mounted to your MonsterRV
[/IMG]

I made it! Drove straight through no stops! Will post pics soon, just need to figure out bracketry! And after talking with you yesterday about naming....I chose an official name----> presenting, "4XHome" :)

Last edited:

Hoosier Daddy

Observer
Busted. Sometimes I just work on it, without the audience in mind. My bad!

They are from here - http://www.hoodlouvers.com/ - They charge a pretty stupid price for a piece of aluminum with some louvers punched in them, but who has a louver press?

Here's another source for hood vents, I've used these on race cars before.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Hood-Louvers-p-1-c-1556.html

...and my Dad has a louver press... I know, I know, but seriously. He does hot rod hoods and stuff on it. I thought about getting an older metal hood and punching it. Or doing these vents on my van. Sorry to sideline, nice build.

hobietony

Explorer

hobietony

Explorer
Off to Mexico

First trip pulling the boat - Yes, I got on the roof to take a picture for my internet friends, taking time out from getting on the road tonight.

m_P5030015.jpg

Little project last weekend to protect that little boat, flaps with quick release attachment.

m_P4280010.jpg

More next week, y'all have a good weekend!

Erik N

Adventurer
Cool rig! Did you find the Grim Reaper while you were dismantling it? Cause he's in there somewhere!

bobDog

Expedition Leader
First trip pulling the boat - Yes, I got on the roof to take a picture for my internet friends, taking time out from getting on the road tonight.

m_P5030015.jpg

Little project last weekend to protect that little boat, flaps with quick release attachment.

m_P4280010.jpg

More next week, y'all have a good weekend!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

hobietony

Explorer
any updates?

Picked up a virus that killed my computer, so haven't been able to load any pictures from the mexico trip, or anything else since then. Had that trip to Rocky Point early May, two weeks later the expo trip, and heading out to San Diego this weekend for another regatta. Should have updates, with pictures, next week. Now that we are using it a bit, I have been working on the things that annoyed me during use - Back door didn't close right, pulled off the door cover, and of course no insulation, etc.

I'm also backtracking a bit and trying to address noise/vibration issues - Got some peel and stick bituthene membrane (poor man version of dynamat, used for ice and water membrane on roofs), and am installing it anyplace I have aluminum diamond plate screw to a substrate - makes a big difference, and is about $90 for a 200sf roll

Should be picking up the finished topper early next week too, the guy I took it to is doing a great job - We needed his 11yo son to help translate to get the deal done, but he is the right guy - Price high enough that I had confidence that he will get the job done, but still way lower than I expected. Got a great bid for painting the whole van as well.

So what do the networks do when there is no new content to broadcast? Reruns! Got a few pics below of the build of the topper that will be going on in the next month or so...

Plywood skeleton
m_PA240135.jpg

m_PA240142.jpg

1/8" baltic birch skin, tacked and epoxied to the frame
m_PA290154.jpg

m_PA300171.jpg

m_PA310173.jpg

Flipped over for the inside work
m_PB030187.jpg

Mounting flange - 1/8" bent steel plate, sandwiched in the frame with epoxy and mechanical pasteners
m_PB030193.jpg

m_PB050207.jpg

m_PB050208.jpg

Insulation
m_PB070237.jpg

m_PB070238.jpg

Epoxying in the inside skin
m_PB120249.jpg

m_PB130279.jpg

Starting bondo for glass prep
m_PB130267.jpg

Glass on the lower lip before I flip it
m_PB150015.jpg

m_PB150017.jpg

Flipped back over, bondo for glass prep
m_PB160031.jpg

m_PB200040.jpg

Wanted a bit more help in keeping the top in plane, and a little extra strength wont hurt - 16 gage 1x2 tied into the mounting flanges. A trivial amount of extra weight, much better fairing, and it just makes me feel better
m_PB200057.jpg

m_PB200060.jpg

hobietony

Explorer
Reruns Continued...

Glass on the top
m_PB230008.jpg

m_PB240022.jpg

m_PB230003.jpg

And now, the crappy part - Bondo
m_PC060041.jpg

m_PC060037.jpg

After this point, Christmas 2010, I actually got the van back from North Carolina, and it became a lot more fun to work on something else. Lets see, welding and fabrication, or sanding bondo? So it sat, and became a bit of a garage fixture. I'm finally at the point where I can get the hole cut in the top, and of course, the topper has to be done for that. So, punt! Off to the body guy, I'm more than happy to have somebody else finish this part
P4080054.jpg

P4080055.jpg

update photos soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12