AmboVan Restarted

loren85022

Explorer
Fortunately, back in the day all my buds use to 'neutralize' my jeep using the xfer case as a joke. It's forever in my cranial chk-list to check anytime anything ain't right.

hobietony

Explorer
Just going to chalk it up as 'no harm, no foul' and move on - not even too much of a draw on the ego bank. Relief outweighed the embarrasment!

etcatmeat

Observer
So I stop by my diesel mechanic on my way into back into Tucson, just to see if he has an idea of if it is something I might be able to fix myself, or if I have to get the monster towed. Guy #1 agrees that is sounds like some sort of solenoid, and yes, the tranny pan needs to come off to fix it. Crap. Guy #2 is listening, hears my description again (wont go when it drops into any gear, has a bit of a grind getting back into park), asks/confirms that my rig is a 4x4, and tells me to go home and take the transfer case out of neutral. Doh! I must have kicked the stick while installing the radar detector, sitting on the center console. Sure enough, I get home, take the transfer case out of neutral, no problem. At least I didn't get it towed to find that out.

Haha..I have dropped mine in gear with the t case in neutral before...kinda like the feeling of picking up a gallon of milk expecting there to be some weight behind it but its empty!

hobietony

Explorer
So, I updated my for sale thread with all of the RV stuff I have left. - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/75343-Parting-out-99-Minnie-Winnie-DL

Also looking to start parting out the cab/chassis - big pieces are the engine/tranny, and the hydro leveling system. Got a couple of dibs on the hydro system, and cowboy 4x4 has shown some interest in the engine/tranny. I can start pulling the cab parts I wont use, including fenders/hood/front valence/front bumper/grille/etc. Pretty sure I will keep the axle, it has discs.

hobietony

Explorer
Finally got a road trip in with Ambovan - Went to Flagstaff last weekend for the closing weekend at Snowbowl - Van was awesome on the road, now that I have it in gear and all. Warm and springtimey on Saturday, but was going to get cold, windy, and crappy on Sunday, with no actual snow. We drove down through Sedona instead, and tried to fit Ambovan on some of those skinny jeep trails, with limited success. Swung a bit wide to get around a tree, hung that stupid steering stabilizer up on a rock, and had to take it off right then

m_P4070032.jpg

m_P4070031.jpg

Looks better without it, no?

m_P4070033.jpg

Spent 4 hours on the hiway after having to take it off, and didn't really feel any difference. Maybe a little more high frequency vibes through the wheel, but otherwise, drove fine. Maybe that thing is a bit more important in a coil-sprung vehicle? I think I'll leave it off for now

hobietony

Explorer
Got a bit done today...

Doors pulled from the doner van
m_P4070037.jpg

m_P4070034.jpg

Old doors off
m_P4070041.jpg

New ones on
m_P4070039.jpg

m_P4070043.jpg

I think a paint job just moved a lot higher on the list, even I will be a bit embarrased driving around like this. Not sure if my wife will even get in.

Those mirrors are wide! Good thing they fold in.
m_P4070045.jpg

m_P4070040.jpg

The primary reason for the swap - Power mirrors, with defrosters - Pretty awesome
m_P4070047.jpg

hobietony

Explorer
New hood vents. No write-up!!

Busted. Sometimes I just work on it, without the audience in mind. My bad!

They are from here - http://www.hoodlouvers.com/ - They charge a pretty stupid price for a piece of aluminum with some louvers punched in them, but who has a louver press?

Also going to paint those mirrors black to match the louvers/bumper/other trim - put it on the list...

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I am seeing this mod in my future. What size did you go with? Looks like medium, perhaps? How was the installation? The only thing I worry about is the rain in the Seattle area constantly dripping through the engine compartment.

Thx,

Brad

Last edited:

hobietony

Explorer
I am seeing this mod in my future. What size did you go with? Looks like medium, perhaps? How was the installation? The only thing I worry about is the rain in the Seattle area constantly dripping through the engine compartment.

Thx,

Brad
Medium is the only one that will remotely fit, I used the hi-flow. Peanut grinder with a thin cut-off wheel cut through the fiberglass hood like butter

Last edited:

hobietony

Explorer
An update

An update, because how will anyone know what happened without posting it on the interwebz?

Loaded up the topper project to take it to a painter/body guy to finish. Last significant progress on this piece of the project was Thanksgiving 2010, so I'll punt and have someone else finish it.
P4080055.jpg

P4080056.jpg

Haven't seen this part of the garage for something like a year and a half
P4080057.jpg

Drove up to Colorado to get the last days of my season, I had my skis reluctantly packed away, saw the weather forcast for tax weekend, and decided to make one more trip. I justified it with calling it a 'road test' for the rig, but it was good to get some solid all-day runs at highway speeds and mountain travel, with no problems.

Poser pics
P4150065.jpg

P4150067.jpg

P4150068.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12