Range Rover P38 diesel conversion

REDROVER

Explorer
23 mpg is about right if u use only up to 5th gear. If I use the 6th (not often due to heavy load and up hills) I can get over 27 mpg. At 6th gear my truck has to be going at least 70 + mph and at 75 it runs 1700 rpm. It will be nice to turbo the 6.2 so I can use the 6th gear often

I think the point here for me is even if u get 20 mpg average its good because you can use used motor or trans oil free and that bumps the cost down alot making it similar as getting 27 mpg

LtFuzz

Explorer
23 mpg is about right if u use only up to 5th gear. If I use the 6th (not often due to heavy load and up hills) I can get over 27 mpg. At 6th gear my truck has to be going at least 70 + mph and at 75 it runs 1700 rpm. It will be nice to turbo the 6.2 so I can use the 6th gear often

I think the point here for me is even if u get 20 mpg average its good because you can use used motor or trans oil free and that bumps the cost down alot making it similar as getting 27 mpg

I wouldn't turbo the 6.2, Eric.

You'll lose the majority of its reliability and flexibility. And you'll most likely need to switch to a serpentine belt.

I've heard a lot of bad stories about people strapping a Banks to the 6.2 and having problems.

I'd say if you want a giant TD you should just put the 6.5TD in there.

I love the 6.2 but I would never put a turbo on it.

jrose609

Explorer

Eric, can you tell me a little bit more about the WMO? I have been researching a little bit on the centrifuge vs. dewatering/filter systems. I've been thinking about getting a processor to collect my own oil.

REDROVER

Explorer
I wouldn't turbo the 6.2, Eric.

You'll lose the majority of its reliability and flexibility. And you'll most likely need to switch to a serpentine belt.

I've heard a lot of bad stories about people strapping a Banks to the 6.2 and having problems.

I'd say if you want a giant TD you should just put the 6.5TD in there.

I love the 6.2 but I would never put a turbo on it.

yes i agree i dont think i will turbo it, but 5 psi boost wont hurt, those problems come when ppl push 14 psi, but i wont turbo mine, its very relible and awesome the way it is

REDROVER

Explorer
Eric, can you tell me a little bit more about the WMO? I have been researching a little bit on the centrifuge vs. dewatering/filter systems. I've been thinking about getting a processor to collect my own oil.

wmo or used ATF is wonderful , if u have clean container and get the oil from the car or truck you dont even need to filter it,

for every 11 gallons of disel i mix 6 gallons of ATF, wmo is more heavy so i like to add 2 gallons of unleaded gas 6 gallons or used motor oil and the reast diesel ,
drives perfect ,
many hummer H1 guys do that, infact us army does it also, i will find that link and the pic and post it up here

u can runn it with heating oil, kerosine ,jp5 , atf, wmo. gear oil, cooking oil, u name it, i did try all, they are all good , cooking oil smells funny and needs lot more work to filter, clean wmo or atf works the best, look at my videos on youtube

WMO is heavy the the idea is to delute it to make it flow true the injectors, the way to do it is by mixing with gas or diesel or kerosine , under compression it burns and u have running motor with no smoke, unless u mix it incorect .

and also keep in miind that any diesel motor made before 2003 loves oil, new diesels cant run on this they are made for ULSD

i started a thread on GM DIESEL FORUM it huge now lol many guys are doing the same now and very happy with it,

i better stop talking about my 6,2 i miss it, i am in northern calif over 30 days with my Hummer H1 exploring this beautiful land. ( few pics)

my firiend and his girl friend have my rover in sedona desert now and i cant get a hold of them

ERIC

Attachments

• hummer h1 004.jpg
    hummer h1 004.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 14
  • hummer h1 in lassen 032.jpg
    hummer h1 in lassen 032.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

jrose609

Explorer
wmo or used ATF is wonderful , if u have clean container and get the oil from the car or truck you dont even need to filter it,

for every 11 gallons of disel i mix 6 gallons of ATF, wmo is more heavy so i like to add 2 gallons of unleaded gas 6 gallons or used motor oil and the reast diesel ,
drives perfect ,
many hummer H1 guys do that, infact us army does it also, i will find that link and the pic and post it up here

u can runn it with heating oil, kerosine ,jp5 , atf, wmo. gear oil, cooking oil, u name it, i did try all, they are all good , cooking oil smells funny and needs lot more work to filter, clean wmo or atf works the best, look at my videos on youtube

WMO is heavy the the idea is to delute it to make it flow true the injectors, the way to do it is by mixing with gas or diesel or kerosine , under compression it burns and u have running motor with no smoke, unless u mix it incorect .

and also keep in miind that any diesel motor made before 2003 loves oil, new diesels cant run on this they are made for ULSD

i started a thread on GM DIESEL FORUM it huge now lol many guys are doing the same now and very happy with it,

i better stop talking about my 6,2 i miss it, i am in northern calif over 30 days with my Hummer H1 exploring this beautiful land. ( few pics)

my firiend and his girl friend have my rover in sedona desert now and i cant get a hold of them

ERIC

Eric, thank you for the info. So I'm guessing my 1997 LR 300Tdi would love this WMO. As long as it is filtered properly....

I'm thinking this may be a good idea. I can save a bit of money on fuel. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

REDROVER

Explorer
Eric, thank you for the info. So I'm guessing my 1997 LR 300Tdi would love this WMO. As long as it is filtered properly....

I'm thinking this may be a good idea. I can save a bit of money on fuel. Thanks for the info!

yes it will like the oil, try to put 2 gal mixed with full tank of diesel and see how she doeas , whats the size of your gass tank? 17 gallons? mine is 17 and if i use wmo then i mix 4 gallons of wmo 2 gallons of regular gass and the rest diesel.
i personaly prefer to use (ATF dex 3) so i wont even have to add gass, but wmo is awesome also .

Excursion73

Observer
I would like to know more about a kit for doing this. I have a 98 Range Rover with less then 100k on it that sits because I can't stand pumping premium into it for 11mpg when my Excursion is getting 17mpg. I would love to convert my Rover to a 6.2l or 6.5l diesel.

Ok this thread has me considering this as a future option, in lieu of the 2.8TGV. This will definitely go down on the considerations page as I'm sure it's much easier to get parts for these.

11b4v

Adventurer
quick question ref the H1

Noticed the whip antenna on the H1. What do you have hooked up to it radio wise?

R-Overland

Adventurer
update

I drive the P38 almost everyday and love it. The Transmission and Compushift II work great. I can adjust so many parameters , and therefore squeeze every ounce of gas mileage... Been to a few mudding events around the area. As a matter of fact there is one coming up on April 21st
at Plantbamboo.com Its held by Land Rover Treasure Coast and open to all land rovers call 772 489 4646 ext 110 for more info and R.S.V.P.

REDROVER

Explorer
I drive the P38 almost everyday and love it. The Transmission and Compushift II work great. I can adjust so many parameters , and therefore squeeze every ounce of gas mileage... Been to a few mudding events around the area. As a matter of fact there is one coming up on April 21st
at Plantbamboo.com Its held by Land Rover Treasure Coast and open to all land rovers call 772 489 4646 ext 110 for more info and R.S.V.P.

Mike did u disappear ? U SHOULD POST SOME PICS ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998