Range Rover P38 diesel conversion

vandev

Hiya Chris
I am in port saint lucie :)
I think D1 and DII are just about the same amount of work to make the install work

Hah, I was just there last saturday picking up a safety devices expedition rack for my D2... Would love to talk with you about the swap when you have time. Email me and i will give you my cell number ..... vandev@me.com

Thanks Micheal...

Chris

REDROVER

Explorer
MIKE make sure u have a CHECK valve right after the fuel pump, u have to have it, hummers have 3 check valves , thats for the engine not to starve going up hills . when fuel pump gets hot the efficiency drops to 3 psi, so valve is a must .

and also if u can relocate the pump to more cooler place that will be much better,+ it wont be damaged by the vibration of the motor

ERIC

sven

Adventurer
I wouldnt mind if one of you guys put together some sort of kit for this. Something that would include the adapter plate, torque converter spacer, and the motor mount brackets. I would seriously consider doing this if those parts were readily available.

spikemd

Explorer
hmm... interested... but my P38 is running well and I just don't think I could justify it right now. It only has 103k miles on it and doesn't leak anything! :Wow1:

I know... its like I am not even driving a rover... but diligent maintenance is required on these trucks.

Luckily, the only 'major' things I have done to the truck has been fusebox, MAF, and cooling system (aluminum radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses) but the cooling issue was due to a shoddy nipple fix by the previous owner.

Preventative maintenance for me has included serpentine belt, steering damper, spark plugs, fluids, tie-rod end, throttle body gasket (x2), rebuild EAS valve body, rebuild EAS compressor.

The 'real' money has been spent on accessories: SD rack, front steering guard, front diff guard, brush bar, rear diff guard, rear ladder, custom rear storage, ARB fridge with slider, factory winch tray with Warn winch.

But my buddy has 140k on his P38 and a diesel conversion would be a fun project!

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
hmm... interested... but my P38 is running well and I just don't think I could justify it right now. It only has 103k miles on it and doesn't leak anything! :Wow1:

I know... its like I am not even driving a rover... but diligent maintenance is required on these trucks.

Luckily, the only 'major' things I have done to the truck has been fusebox, MAF, and cooling system (aluminum radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses) but the cooling issue was due to a shoddy nipple fix by the previous owner.

Preventative maintenance for me has included serpentine belt, steering damper, spark plugs, fluids, tie-rod end, throttle body gasket (x2), rebuild EAS valve body, rebuild EAS compressor.

The 'real' money has been spent on accessories: SD rack, front steering guard, front diff guard, brush bar, rear diff guard, rear ladder, custom rear storage, ARB fridge with slider, factory winch tray with Warn winch.

But my buddy has 140k on his P38 and a diesel conversion would be a fun project!

You know you have just screwed your self with the Rover Gods! I'd start saving $$$ now! Big time repairs coming your way...LOL

spikemd

Explorer
I am sorry, Jeff. But i don't quite get what you are asking me

Gas mileage... What is your current 'miles-per-gallon' with the diesel conversion?

In my gas/petrol engine (4.6), I get about 16mpg highway (70mph) and 13 in town. I am loaded down with sliders, winch, rack, larger tires etc. The rack is the biggest hit to mpg. On factory spec tires and no rack, I was getting 18-19mpg on the freeway. I usually go on trips with a 4.0 and I get better mpg than him.

R-Overland

Adventurer
Gas mileage

So far I see 26-28mpg I played with the TCC and shift pattern a bit :) compushift rocks :)
My truck has a 300lbs heavier engine and a 200lbs winch tray assembly, it comes with 33" M/T , too

I can understand why your friend has a higher gas mileage than your 4.6L ...to get that P38 with a 4.0L moving
he is at full throttle most of the time. That will burn a tremendous amount of fuel.
I will put my conversion kit on ebay soon, price is $1200 for the plates and hardware and $1400 for the compushift

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998