Range Rover P38 diesel conversion

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
smog?
its diesel never smog again. put the motor on go have it inspected and you are done forever ,

ERIC

Eric, can you explain this a little further? My understanding is that eventhough you have a diesel engine in the Rover, the GVWR and the model year of the P38 will still require a smog inspection in CA. Is that not correct? Doesn't a car have to be = or > 20yrs old to avoid emissions in CA? Or is it 15 years? I don't think a P38's weight, with a diesel installed, is going to meet the GVWR exemption.

paradigm, congrats on your conversion todate. I am curious how much this conversion has cost you (parts/engine only and time included)?

R-Overland

Adventurer

paradigm, congrats on your conversion todate. I am curious how much this conversion has cost you (parts/engine only and time included)?

thank you for the kind words, sir. The engine (mileage between 10- 40k miles) cost me $1.300 incl. shipping. I sold my engine for that price, so the engine was free to me. If you were going to buy an adapter kit with all hardware, spacer and the adapter plates , you will pay another $1.200. I use a compushift II , which also cost $1.200.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
thank you for the kind words, sir. The engine (mileage between 10- 40k miles) cost me $1.300 incl. shipping. I sold my engine for that price, so the engine was free to me. If you were going to buy an adapter kit with all hardware, spacer and the adapter plates , you will pay another $1.200. I use a compushift II , which also cost $1.200.

Good information...thanks! About how many hours do you have invested in the conversion project at this point?

R-Overland

Adventurer
Good information...thanks! About how many hours do you have invested in the conversion project at this point?
It took me quite a while to measure, test fit, take everything out again , re-measure , re-fit. With a kit and all the parts in place, it can be done in one dedicated weekend. all in all ,it took me about 4 and a half weeks

ipgregory

Adventurer
Did you buy or make the adpator for the engine to trans? I know Eric used a GM Bell housing and made up an adaptor for it and a crank/TC spacer. How did you do yours? You kept the ZF24 I think in yours didn't you?

Did you make new engine mounts?

Any pics of these parts of the build?

Thx

Ian

R-Overland

Adventurer
Did you buy or make the adpator for the engine to trans? I know Eric used a GM Bell housing and made up an adaptor for it and a crank/TC spacer. How did you do yours? You kept the ZF24 I think in yours didn't you?

Did you make new engine mounts?

Any pics of these parts of the build?

Thx

Ian

Yes, i went a similar route , that Eric did, although my parts had to have different measurements , since the some parts are larger than on the range rover classic. I am planning to offer the parts needed as a kit. In laser cut precision with grade 8 hardware. I still use the ZF24, which makes this kit very feasible in my opinion. And yes, the motor mounts need to be moved.

ipgregory

Adventurer
You're right, I had forgoten that you had posted those, just went back and had anbother look. Nice work on the trans/BH adaptor. Did you get any pics of the engine to bell housing spacer plate before you fitted it and the engine mounts?

What year is your P38?

Thx

Ian

R-Overland

Adventurer
My truck is a 1997. I used the chevy motor mounts. You can see them in the earlier photos :) .there are a couple photos where you can see the engine to bell housing plate

REDROVER

Explorer
Eric, can you explain this a little further? My understanding is that eventhough you have a diesel engine in the Rover, the GVWR and the model year of the P38 will still require a smog inspection in CA. Is that not correct? Doesn't a car have to be = or > 20yrs old to avoid emissions in CA? Or is it 15 years? I don't think a P38's weight, with a diesel installed, is going to meet the GVWR exemption.

diesel inspection in California started last year only on trucks above 10.500 GVWR, 1999 AND UP. for example some of my hummers dont need smog check and some do, same engine same everything , if its newer than 1999 and GVWR is 10500 + it will need to be >>> smog checked <<<and that's only visual inspection .

as far as my classic it wont need to be smoged ever, because its less than 10500 gvwr, and its older than 1999. however in order to make it California legal you have to take the truck and have it inspected , motor must be out of similar year vehicle , and whatever kind of smog equipment that vehicle had, you must put it on the land rover your are converting.

now here is the trick HUMVEES never had smog equipment so that motor the way it is is not California legal, but the same motor was used on hummer h1 that was California smog legal . so you can say its a motor is off of the hummer h1 or 3/4 ton suburban, all it needs is a diesel catalytic converter and one EGR valve and you got yourself legal diesel land rover

ERIC

ipgregory

Adventurer
OK, so you have the larger Torque Convertor rather than the medium sized one fitted to later ones and the D2s.

Found the shot of the engine mounts but I didn't see any of the BH/Engine spacer other than the assembled shot with the engine going in? Most likely I didn't recognize it?

Ian

REDROVER

Explorer
its such an awesome feeling to have an powerful diesel motor in landrover , it wont be a race car but for sure it will be a tractor lol if you go on diesl forum most of the guys with 6.2 have well over 300.000 miles on them. i am thinking of turbo soon i dont need it but it will be fun to have over 450 lb tq. but then rover diffs are not strong and chain reaction begins i think jCODE 6.2 HAS 330 lb tq at 1700 rpm.

but i really really recommend if u gonna use ZF transmission find correct diesel converter, i think some volvo diesels came with ZF22 and zf24

REDROVER

Explorer
OK, so you have the larger Torque Convertor rather than the medium sized one fitted to later ones and the D2s.

Found the shot of the engine mounts but I didn't see any of the BH/Engine spacer other than the assembled shot with the engine going in? Most likely I didn't recognize it?

Ian

if you go ON youtube and type in HOW TO CONVERT YOUR LAND ROVER TO 6.2 DIESEL YOU WILL FIND THE VIDEO YOU ARE LOOKING FOR , ITS VERY MUCH THE SAME AS WHAT MIKE did to his P38

ipgregory

Adventurer
Thx Eric. Got it. You showed it in the video. So the thickness of that plate (if needed) is going to depend on which of the TCs you have in the trans you're fitting and the depth of the specific flywheel/flexplate arrangement (I am not considering a 6.2 diesel) you are working with?

Awesome. Thx guys.

So this is probably a silly question. How much clearance is there behind the TC and between the outer edge of the TC and the bell housing at the back? Can you make the adaptor plate between the trans and the bell housing thicker and avoid having to use the bell housing to engine plate?

Ian

LtFuzz

Explorer
Thx Eric. Got it. You showed it in the video. So the thickness of that plate (if needed) is going to depend on which of the TCs you have in the trans you're fitting and the depth of the specific flywheel/flexplate arrangement (I am not considering a 6.2 diesel) you are working with?

Awesome. Thx guys.

So this is probably a silly question. How much clearance is there behind the TC and between the outer edge of the TC and the bell housing at the back? Can you make the adaptor plate between the trans and the bell housing thicker and avoid having to use the bell housing to engine plate?

Ian

If you have an R380 you can buy a complete conversion kit from Mark's 4x4 of Australia -- I think it's $600? Or so?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle