Range Rover P38 diesel conversion

REDROVER

Explorer
The 4l80e seems like a no brainier to me. No adapter, compushift ease, higher torque capability for diesel apps.

with 4l80e. you will need >>>>>>>>> new drive shafts , new transfer case mounts, transfer case adapter, and u may need to modify the floor , it will seat back, 4l80e is longer

but in return you get one very strong and reliable trans that can be made to handle 2000 lb torque.:) and if u ever brake down u can stop by at any trans shop and they got what u need.

with adapter and zf22 or 24. its very easy to do the job. no shafts or any other modification needed . interior stays the same . and it can handle over 300 lb torque.

i have dodge viper SHORT RATIO 6 speed manual Transmission so i can race with coyotes on the trail :)

i forget to mention that military spec 6.2 is more powerful that civilian speck 6.5 , so if u gonna use military spec 6.5, i wouldn't use zf trans. u get over 350 lb torque on that motor and if u put a turbo on it than u may get over 500 lb torque (more than cummins 12 valve 5.9 turbo ) military armored hummers have over 13.000 lb on them and still pull very strong. offroad

Last edited:

Excursion73

Observer
The 4l80e option sounds like a lot of $$$ and time but it sure would be awesome.

I think that I will be sticking with the zf trans and drivetrain.

Is there a preferred coil spring conversion to support the weight of a military 6.2l engine?

REDROVER

Explorer
The 4l80e option sounds like a lot of $$$ and time but it sure would be awesome.

I think that I will be sticking with the zf trans and drivetrain.

Is there a preferred coil spring conversion to support the weight of a military 6.2l engine?

yes there is :) ford f350 front springs do the job.

uzj100

Adventurer
Awesome build.

1. Can you use the automatic that comes in the p38? If no, which auto do you suggest?

2. Can the whole thing be built including the used p38 for $10k or less?

3. Does anyone do these as their business?

4. Does anyone near Raleigh, nc do these conversions?

5. Where do buy used ATF fluid?

I am very interested. I have driven a cruiser for years but gave always wanted a diesel

REDROVER

Explorer
Awesome build.

1. Can you use the automatic that comes in the p38? If no, which auto do you suggest?

2. Can the whole thing be built including the used p38 for $10k or less?

3. Does anyone do these as their business?

4. Does anyone near Raleigh, nc do these conversions?

5. Where do buy used ATF fluid?

I am very interested. I have driven a cruiser for years but gave always wanted a diesel

1 yes the automatic from p38 will work, i did it Mike did it, its also known as zf24,

2 depends how much u pay for p38, if u get the parts from Mike , ( i think he is working on the kits now) it can be done under 10 grand

3 no one does it as business . i did it as a hobby , it worked and mike did it and it worked ,

5 you get the ATF for free from any transmission shop.

i love my 6.2 diesel classic, with turbo or supercharger it will rock. may be it wont be as fast as 4.2 classic or 4.6 p38. but all i have to do is START AND GO, :) any time any where any fuel.

ERIC

uzj100

Adventurer
more data

http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/603899-multi-fuel-military-diesel.html

Guys,

It appears any 6.2 or 6.5 can be converted to multi fuel with a mechanical IP (injection pump?)

This seems to open the door quite a bit. I would like 250 hp and 350 to 400 ft lbs of torque in a reliable multi fuel package. Maybe start with newer turbo diesel 6.5 and change the injection pump and be done with it.

Is there a website for more data?

I want a multi fuel engine in my 100 series land cruiser.

Thanks,

uzj100

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/603899-multi-fuel-military-diesel.html

Guys,

It appears any 6.2 or 6.5 can be converted to multi fuel with a mechanical IP (injection pump?)

This seems to open the door quite a bit. I would like 250 hp and 350 to 400 ft lbs of torque in a reliable multi fuel package. Maybe start with newer turbo diesel 6.5 and change the injection pump and be done with it.

Is there a website for more data?

I want a multi fuel engine in my 100 series land cruiser.

Thanks,

uzj100

Send a PM to Redrover. He has a 6.2 in his Range Rover Classic too and runs waste motor oil and all sorts of other stuff (it seems) through it.

REDROVER

Explorer
any mechanical diesel can be converted to run on oil , but 6.2 6.5 7.3 all those motors that are mechanical injection and not controlled by any computer dont need any modification to run on waist oil .

Eric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior