An Axe - Seriously?

motoz

Adventurer
quickfist mounts should work fine. Make sure your axe head has a cover. Consider mouting it vertically with the head down, so that in the event of it leaving your mounting bracket the axe head won't fly into your passengers.

Mine lays on the floor under the rear seats when I'm not on a trip. Or it stays in the garage.

Quick fists are great. If you get a Fiskars axe it comes with a protective cover plus a hole in the handle you can put a padlock through.

Very handy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338098889.049564.jpg

Bretthn

Explorer
The quick fists are definitely an awesome product. I just installed two sets today. Make sure if you are mounting in the interior that you do not simply mount it to a plastic interior panel. Details on how I mounted mine to my hatch are in my build.
7c3e3e97.jpg

Fantom

Observer
I have 4 wood dealing tools:
1 - chainsaw, when that overheats, fails, runs out of fuel or fails I have
2 - Fiskars Axe (the long model) - it's an axe and a splitting maul in one, best axe ever.
3 - Woodman's Pal tool the ultimate machete that can cut down small trees.
4 - small collapsible saw.

The chainsaw, axe, and Woodman's Pal get used all the time on every trip. Here in BC, when we wheel we go into remote areas and bringing wood is not necessary. There is lots of wind fall, dead trees and firewood everywhere you go. On average there are 2-5 trucks in a group, when we get to camp, everyone focuses on firewood duty and within 30 minutes we have enough firewood for 2 days, cut, chopped and ready to burn. If we were bringing it with us we would need a large trailer just for that on a 3-5 day trip.

viperstd

I read the entire thread... post-for-post. What a great, albeit over-killed, thread.

I carry a Gransfors Bruks Hatchet under my seat and have reached for it more times than I can count.

I grew up using hatchets, axes, and mauls the way my dad taught me. Growing up as a child of rural Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire we heated our houses with wood. That meant I spent a considerable amount of time with an axe in hand. My dad would fell the trees before I was old enough to do it, and I would help him clear the base, the spot to be dropped, and limb the trees with him when it was felled. Yes, a sharp, high powered chain saw is brutally fast, but there is something innately human about going out on an early, crisp morning and working with a stick with a sharp bit on the end. The sound of the frost under your feet, your breath hanging in the air, and the sound that a well placed axe makes when it hits home falling into the forest is just... right.​

Back to the point, I postulate that a proficient woodsman could take a sharp axe out of his storage spot in his rig and clear a 12" tree from a trail and be rolling again faster than they could get a chainsaw out, don the necessary safety gear (chaps, helmet, eyes and ears), start and and warm the saw, clear the same tree, and then put it all back away.

My .02. Btw, I've lurked for a while and decided to finally say "hello." I'm usually on tacomaworld

:wavey:

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Bow saws are an excellent and cheap alternative to chainsaws especially when it comes to cutting down green trees. I've cut down palm tree limbs in my yard that were 7" in diameter in literally 30 secs using my Sear's bowsaw. However, for chopping up and splitting dry firewood I use my Fiskar's axe. BTW, when it comes to safety long handled axes are preferred over short handles because if you miss the swing a smaller hatchet will go right for your shin.

fasteddy47

Adventurer
Back to the point, I postulate that a proficient woodsman could take a sharp axe out of his storage spot in his rig and clear a 12" tree from a trail and be rolling again faster than they could get a chainsaw out, don the necessary safety gear (chaps, helmet, eyes and ears), start and and warm the saw, clear the same tree, and then put it all back away.

My .02. Btw, I've lurked for a while and decided to finally say "hello." I'm usually on tacomaworld

:wavey:

I agree about the 12" tree with an axe......it's the 24" inch trees in PNW that you gotta worry about!!!

Cheers
Eddy

psykokid

Explorer
On a recent trip through some backroads in lassen national forest came across a downed tree that was blocking the connector road we were on. Dispatched it in about 5 min with my trusty Hults Bruks 1 1/4lb axe that was a hand me down from an old family friend who passed away recently. Saved me from having to turn around and back track then re-route around the fallen tree.

teotwaki

Excelsior!

1stDeuce

Explorer
It's bling for 99% of the axes you see I'm sure. But that said, I carry one on camping trips in CO and WY. For wheeling, particularly in the spring, I carry a chainsaw, as I tend to do a lot of trail clearing. For weekend trips later in the summer, the ax gets the nod because it takes WAY less space (it rides in the round tube behind the bumper in my TJ) and weighs less, and because by that time, I'm more interested in getting through (or rather back out!) than doing a bunch of clearing. With all the beetle kill that we have out here now, you really need to have something to cut a tree out of the way if you need to. They are starting to come down a lot now, and can trap you in your campsite, or on a back road with no exit, etc after even a moderate bit of wind. I just chop them through at the base, and then winch them off into the woods.

I don't really cut firewood with it, as that's a pain to chunk it up with an axe, but most places in Colorado have an abundant supply just laying around in the woods thanks to the Forest service, so the axe does a bit of splitting occasionally. And I don't really care for fires lately anyway. For starters there's a total burn ban in most of Colorado, but I'm tired of being smokey, dry-eyed, and fried every morning of my trip.

Oh, i also carry a Gerber Gator, which is a sweet folding saw. I highly recommend them! They come with a wood blade and a "bone" blade. The wood blade makes short work of smaller branch cutting, up to about 5". Good for cutting firewood, hacking an arm off, or building a makeshift bridge over the occasional raging river! ;)

Momrocks

Adventurer
Loppers.jpg

When I am off-road, I stick to established trails. I have never seen a need for an axe. I do however find a set of loppers very useful for widening the way when a stray branch has grown over the trail and threatens the truck's paint.

INMHO the vast (overwhelming) majority of axes seen mounted on non first responder vehicles serve an aesthetic purpose not a utilitarian purpose. I have been on trails with logs felled across but wouldn't spend the day making two cuts with an axe if the tree was so large it couldn't be winched aside.

With aftermarket bumpers, sliders and winch my rig already looks like a poseurmobile, I'm not going to mount an axe for even more attention.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
When I am off-road, I stick to established trails. I have never seen a need for an axe. I do however find a set of loppers very useful for widening the way when a stray branch has grown over the trail and threatens the truck's paint.
Are you ********** kidding me? An established trail never has trees fall on it?

Worried about paint and off-road...need to rethink some things. If you are worried about your paint, you may put yourself or others in a dangerous or life-theatening position.

I have been on trails with logs felled across but wouldn't spend the day making two cuts with an axe if the tree was so large it couldn't be winched aside.

Lazy. Hopefully the next people on the trail will do the maintenance so you can enjoy the trail in the future... You will be screwed if you are ever on a real trail that you cant turn around on...may be sitting for days waiting for someone to come do the cutting work for you.

With aftermarket bumpers, sliders and winch my rig already looks like a poseurmobile, I'm not going to mount an axe for even more attention.

Put it inside. It is a tool and a damn good one. Maybe some trail scars and scratches would get rid of your poseurmobile look.

teotwaki

Excelsior!

INMHO the vast (overwhelming) majority of axes seen mounted on non first responder vehicles serve an aesthetic purpose not a utilitarian purpose. I have been on trails with logs felled across but wouldn't spend the day making two cuts with an axe if the tree was so large it couldn't be winched aside.

If we took a nose count there are probably a small percentage of Expo member's vehicles with winches. Of that number of winches I'd wonder how many ever even have the cable unspooled let alone used offroad. An axe is light and easy to carry and can be carried out of sight unlike a properly sized and mounted winch.

I don't have a winch and have had two incidents where a winch would have been nice but since I was not alone a recovery strap worked. Trees are not a huge problem in SoCal and I have only had to use an axe on two modest sized trees across the trail. A bow saw and loppers get a lot more use on local trails.

Momrocks

Adventurer
Are you ********** kidding me? An established trail never has trees fall on it?

Worried about paint and off-road...need to rethink some things. If you are worried about your paint, you may put yourself or others in a dangerous or life-theatening position.

Lazy. Hopefully the next people on the trail will do the maintenance so you can enjoy the trail in the future... You will be screwed if you are ever on a real trail that you cant turn around on...may be sitting for days waiting for someone to come do the cutting work for you.

Put it inside. It is a tool and a damn good one. Maybe some trail scars and scratches would get rid of your poseurmobile look.

Awesome post! :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179