AmboVan Restarted

NLPRacing

Observer
The V10's last forever and typically outlast the vehicle they are in. Plus, there's probably more people doing swaps pulling V10's than putting them in. If I still had my Dad's old 75 F150, I would get that V10 from you in a heartbeat. Good luck!

hobietony

Explorer
nice spam

Uh, thanks for the bump?

NPL, I think you are right - if someone needs an engine, the vehicle is usually spent. I got a call last week from a church in Phoenix, someone drove their church van around without oil or something, so that seems like the most promising thing so far. At this point, I'll take what I can get

Meanwhile, working on things that dont make for interesting pictures - replacing locks on compartment doors, replacing the seal between the cab and the box.

Got my topper back from the painter three weeks ago, but the paint never cured! Dude may have to scrape it off and start over, find out what happened today.

hobietony

Explorer
Nothing Major...

So, next big step is getting the topper on - Which is back with the painter, because the paint never cured - Seems to be a material problem, but is sucks for the painter guy because he has to get the old uncured paint off before he can try again - Crappy work. I pretty much need to get that top on before I start on the interior, since there is aluminum supports to be welded, etc, so I'm a bit stuck until I get it back. However, I dont think there is anything holding me back from painting it, going to get pricing this week, and got the last exterior work needed before it goes to the paint shop (a different one!)

A few pics of little projects keeping me occupied...

New seal between the cab and the box
m_P7210005.jpg

Window tint - Legal at the cab, limo tint on the box
m_P7210003.jpg

New diamond plate at the front of the box
m_P7210004.jpg

Couple more barrel locks - This one on the main entry
m_P7210006.jpg

Painted the side view mirrors - Looks better than the battered white
m_P7210002.jpg

m_P7210001.jpg

In the last pic, weather tore up my shade again, this time collected on the top, and collapsed the whole top structure onto the van - Back to working in the sun for a while.

hobietony

Explorer
Ambovan is off to the paint shop!

Good time to break down the doner van a bit more, and I think I have the engine sold.

A little redneck engineering and rigging project
m_P7280009.jpg

Looking good
m_P7280008.jpg

So, I make a couple of calls to Chris, went something like this - "What exactly needs to be disconnected to take the cab off of the frame?" - "As you lift off the body, if it is connected, disconnect it" OK, got it!

Free at last
m_P7280013.jpg

m_P7280015.jpg

Tucked away in the side yard
m_P7300016.jpg

Pull the rest of the keeper parts off the frame in the next few weeks, and I may be able to get the wreck out of the alley

hobietony

Explorer
^^^ Maybe/probably. I assume your spare is already somewhere else. Provided that I can convert it to diesel, I'm going to put in the ambo. 35 gal vs 55. I need to see how the departure clearance would be affected, probably need a skid

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
The gas tank in the donor vehicle looks interesting. Do you think that would fit in an EB ?

If you remove (or flip) the rear crossmember on the EB they fit. In the picture of the tank above, you can see a crossmember in front of it, the crossmember with an arch to it. On a EB that is flipped so the spare can fit. So you need to remove the whole structure that holds the spare tire, then remove (and replace flipped) the crossmember, then apparently it fits. Thedieselstop.com had some posts on this subject a few years back.

LukeD

Observer
So, I make a couple of calls to Chris, went something like this - "What exactly needs to be disconnected to take the cab off of the frame?" - "As you lift off the body, if it is connected, disconnect it" OK, got it!

I could so hear Chris saying this, like duh! :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger