AmboVan Restarted

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
That tank looks like a 55 gallon, and I think thats too big for an EB van. The 138" wheelbase cab chassis has a smaller 35 gallon tank that would work better.

hobietony

Explorer
I think I asked this before, maybe not, is there anything to keep me from using a Gas tank for Diesel? I assume that the whole pickup assembly would unbolt from the diesel tank and drop into the gas one, but are they lined differently? Is there something that 'everybody knows' why it wouldn't work?

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I think I asked this before, maybe not, is there anything to keep me from using a Gas tank for Diesel? I assume that the whole pickup assembly would unbolt from the diesel tank and drop into the gas one, but are they lined differently? Is there something that 'everybody knows' why it wouldn't work?

My understanding is that a fuel tank/can used for gas can tolerate diesel fuel. The other way around is where you run into issues with gas breaking down seals designed for diesel fuel, as gas is a stronger solvent.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
If you get it boiled out by a radiator shop you're good to go. May want to get a different sending unit, I'l be looking for one soon for V4 since I'm adding a midship tank. I'll let ya know what I find---

notmiller

Observer
If you get it boiled out by a radiator shop you're good to go. May want to get a different sending unit, I'l be looking for one soon for V4 since I'm adding a midship tank. I'll let ya know what I find---

Chris, does this mean the gasoline tanks don't have a galvanic coating that breaks down with diesel? If that's true, this greatly broadens my sources for getting a spare tank to play around with.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Also pull the filters out of the pickup while you have it apart (as long as you put an external filter on the fuel feed line before the pump) I will try to dig up some photos of what I mean.

hobietony

Explorer
Well, she's in the paint shop

m_P8070020.jpg

Holes plugged from the light bar
m_P8070021.jpg

I spent enough time getting those latches adjusted perfectly, hope they work right when I get it back
m_P8070018.jpg

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I guess the burning question is: What color are you gonna paint AmboVan? Or, did I miss that somewhere?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Chris, does this mean the gasoline tanks don't have a galvanic coating that breaks down with diesel? If that's true, this greatly broadens my sources for getting a spare tank to play around with.

That..... I'm not 100% sure of.

hobietony

Explorer
I guess the burning question is: What color are you gonna paint AmboVan? Or, did I miss that somewhere?

Plain-jane factory Ford white. Booor-ing. Cooler in the AZ heat, no need to paint the door jambs, hood, etc. Accent striping to be determined later. Maybe once it's all painted, I will post a side view and we can have a photoshop stripe design contest.

CLynn85

Explorer
Can't wait to see how it comes out. I actually just stopped by Maaco the other day to get an estimate on respraying my Ambo, so I'm anxious to see how yours looks plain white to help me decide on white vs. a color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12