The Rice Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Anybody cooking rice in the field? I'd like to!

What gear are you using? What is your favorite rice? ( I like Jasmine aka sticky rice)

Last edited:

Joker

Adventurer
and how hard is it to clean up afterwards also. I don't think I would want to cook it in my MSR pots unless i could soak it for a couple of hours first.

p nut

butter
Not too hard. Put in rice, water. Bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 min with the lid cracked a tiny bit. I highly suggest using a good teflon coated pot. This will be harder if you're trying to do it on campfire. But if you've got a stove, no big deal.

Unless you're talking Uncle Ben's Minute rice. In which case, chuck the inside contents and eat the box, as it will taste better.

EDIT: The only issue I can think of is for high altitude cooking.

goofygirl

We cook rice in a regular pot. Put some butter or a little olive oil into the rice. If rice was stuck on when we finished we just boiled water in that pot and rice came off.

p nut

butter
I like Snow Peak stuff, but that pot...errr "rice cooker" is a gimmick. They should also market it as a "hail-proof hat", just in case you get hit by a hail storm while eating rice.

goofygirl - RE: "stuck on" rice bits - you can also put in a little bit of water, boil it for 10 min or so, and have yourself a nice rice porridge (with salt on top. Or bacon bits). Pretty good, especially on cold days.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Snow Peak...expensive

I'm so shocked to see those words in the same sentence! (sarcasm)

But seriously though, any pot will do. I use the 1.5 parts water to 1 part rice ratio, bring it to a boil then drop the heat to low and simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes, then turn the heat off and let it sit with the lid still on for at least 10 more minutes (longer won't hurt it). I've never had rice burn on to the pot or stick using this method, no oil or non stick pans needed.

Salue

Adventurer
The crunchy rice at the bottom of the pot is coveted in my household!
Dave, we usually make jasmine rice but I don't consider that sticky rice. Sticky rice is made with glutinous rice and that's a whole different method to making it. It involves a steamer, but I think it's easier than making regular rice and is my favorite!

Cheers,
Salue

p nut

butter
The crunchy rice at the bottom of the pot is coveted in my household!
Dave, we usually make jasmine rice but I don't consider that sticky rice. Sticky rice is made with glutinous rice and that's a whole different method to making it. It involves a steamer, but I think it's easier than making regular rice and is my favorite!

Cheers,
Salue

I actually make jasmine and "sticky" short-grain rice almost the exact same way. I use less water for jasmine is the only difference. I prefer the sticky rice as well.

The crunchy rice can be prepped a few different ways. One of the favorite is to lightly fry it with sugar and/or cinnamon.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
We just use an old pot and keep a careful eye on it. I usually will add some chicken bullion to the water to add some additional flavor to the rice, especially if I'm going to make a campfire paella or some sort of stir fry. Clean up isn't to bad as long as you have paid attention and get right to it after eatin'.

keezer37

Explorer
In a medium sauce pan, one cup of rice + water to the first (girl) knuckle.

My ex used to make sticky rice in the trusty wok. Bring coconut milk and brown sugar to a boil and then stir in the glutinous rice. I think that was about it. Masarap.

You can go to the Asian grocery and buy banana leaves and roll the sticky rice up in the leaves (like a fatty) and take them to go. No sticky fingers.

Thai Jasmine is the gold standard amoungst your serious rice eaters.

jim65wagon

We always just use Jasmine rice. Whatever cookpot we have. 2 cups water, 1 cup rice. Bring water to a boil, add rice, put a lid on it and simmer 15 minutes. done deal.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
We always just use Jasmine rice. Whatever cookpot we have. 2 cups water, 1 cup rice. Bring water to a boil, add rice, put a lid on it and simmer 15 minutes. done deal.

Hai-domo on the Jasmine rice! Use the Zojirushi rice cooker at home and place the cooled, cooked contents in a resealable bag for a planned stir-fry in the field, or as Jim said 2 c water, 1 c rice in any old pot and Bob's your uncle. Basmati is a nice flavorful rice as well; earthy-nutty flavor, longer grain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger