The Rice Thread

Joanne

Adventurer
I have to add my vote for Jasmine rice. I eat it at home once or twice a week. Out camping I make it in one of my 8" dutch ovens using an 8 coal ring on bottom and a 6 coal ring on top. The heavy pot makes great rice. I wipe the oven with a very light coat of oil before starting and that makes cleanup a bit easier.

Joanne

p nut

butter
Use the Zojirushi rice cooker at home...

I had a Zoj cooker for nearly 20 years. It was still working, but decided to get a new one (decided to go with Cuckoo this time). Gave it to a family member and they still use it today. Great product.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Jasmine fan here cooked in tiger cooker
Being from Hawaii white rice and shoyu are everyday food like breads here maybe ?

Google knuckle method :)
Good way for any amount any pot
I prefer rice out of a tiger or zozirushi fuzzy logic cooker not a simple boiler type rice cooker way better IMHO

Or sometimes cook rice vac pack and reheat at camp

Rvl

Since moving to Japan 20 years ago , rice has become part of me

I always use Tiger electric
But never had success in cooking over gas
Tried it again tonight , following a friends suggestion
High heat , low heat and then flip the pot over

Worked well and didnt burn
Next time a little less water

Always wash rice before you cook

Honu

lost on the mainland
I saw on a Japanese site a propane driven rice cooker :) basically a Tiger that runs off propane :) looked pretty cool

Rvl

I saw on a Japanese site a propane driven rice cooker :) basically a Tiger that runs off propane :) looked pretty cool

I saw that , looks great
In Japan they sell rice pots for camping they are only $12
They even have measuring marks on the side showing how much rice and water to add, 2 cups and 4 cups

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I do rice fairly often. Big deep skillet, 2:1 water/rice, boil and then simmer on lowest possible heat for 15-20 minutes, then let sit for 10. Letting it sit will make whatever stuck to the pan come loose.

I like fluffy, not sticky.

Normally though, I don't do just rice. If I'm gonna do it, I'll go ahead and make a one pan version of red beans and rice. Or a Mexican style black beans and rice.

Probably what I do most frequently with rice would be a chicken or sausage jambalaya.

kalieaire

Observer
I'm surprised this hasn't been suggested, but a super fast way to make rice on the trail (like <15 minutes) is to use a pressure cooker. Just put a wire rack or similar on the bottom of the pressure cooker, fill with a 1/2 cup of water, and then put another pot on the inside that has the 1 cup of rice and 1.5 cups of chicken broth. The added benefit of cooking this way, besides short cooking time, is that the water never gets too hot and isn't too cold at higher elevations. The times represented are on an alcohol stove, most of the time spent is just bringing the water to boil. So a propane or white gas stove would yield much faster results.

Joanne

Adventurer
I'm surprised this hasn't been suggested, but a super fast way to make rice on the trail (like <15 minutes) is to use a pressure cooker. Just put a wire rack or similar on the bottom of the pressure cooker, fill with a 1/2 cup of water, and then put another pot on the inside that has the 1 cup of rice and 1.5 cups of chicken broth. The added benefit of cooking this way, besides short cooking time, is that the water never gets too hot and isn't too cold at higher elevations. The times represented are on an alcohol stove, most of the time spent is just bringing the water to boil. So a propane or white gas stove would yield much faster results.

I think pressure cookers are the most overlooked cooking tool available to us. I occasionally use one at home and always think to myself, I really need to start using it more often. Somehow I just don't. They are prefect for higher altitudes since it will force the liquid to reach a higher temperature before starting to boil. Maybe I'll break one out tomorrow and cook up a big pot of beans.

Joanne

Village Idiot
The Cajun way to cook rice.

I haven't seen it yet, so I'll post it. This is by far the easiest way to measure water/rice ratio, and works every time.

1. Pour rice in the pot. Any amount, no need to measure.

2. Make sure the rice is level. Then add water slowly enough not to disturb the rice.

3. Put middle finger to where it's barely touching the top of the rice.

4. Fill water until it reaches the first knuckle on your middle finger, the stop.

5. Cover, cook on medium (simmer), with top on pot. When you no longer see the water, the rice is done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman