Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

hinocairnseclipse

If you are all gonna be in Australia in November as scheduled (even after having to backtrack across half the Asian continent), I must give you a heads up for an astronomical event occurring at dawn on Nov 14 (total solar eclipse) which starts in Arnhem Land NT and crosses the Gulf of Carpentaria before traversing FNQ, exiting the Australian continent over Cairns and heading out into the Pacific.

Beautiful overlanding country and a great photoshoot to add to the trip if you can make it!

Note: path of totality is around 140km across and the difference in 99% eclipse and 100% eclipse means that if you aren't beneath that shadow path you don't see much at all

I will be overlanding from Perth to Cairns between 6 Oct and Nov 10 so will be keeping tabs on your progress whenever possible :)
PS after that will be heading down to Snowy Mountains in time for a folk musician gathering xmas-NY

If we cross paths anywhere along the way it will be nice to convoy for a bit. I'm guessing a 12T truck adds a little pulling power to any situations, tho I can't get under low tree coverage etc

Last edited:

FlyJester

Adventurer
This past weekend I was sitting at the bar having a burger and beer at Ray's Tavern and what do I see....

IMG_20121005_162513.jpg

...great trip so far!

Scott Brady

Founder
The team is busy working on logistics for Australia and we have elected to push the Canning Stock to their late summer/fall for better weather and a more relaxed pace. We are also planning to add a different support truck and will need time to prepare it (more details soon).

I am looking forward to spending the holidays with family and starting to work through the 12,000+ images we have so far.

container.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Hi Mate. I still have that 6 wheel landcruiser sitting in Brisbane if you get stuck for a vehicle. Hit me with a PM or email if you are interested.

838591785_toyota photo reduced small.jpg

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
The team is busy working on logistics for Australia and we have elected to push the Canning Stock to their late summer/fall for better weather and a more relaxed pace. We are also planning to add a different support truck and will need time to prepare it (more details soon).

Looking forward to what vehicle you will be adding to an already impressive fleet. I've just managed to get my hand on a good planning book for the CSR if you need any info, I'd be happy to help out.

Cheers,
P

drkddl

It's been great following along on the adventure! You guys are truly living the dream to be taking on such a trip.

I posted a question in the comments on the main particle article about the Land Cruiser builds, but I doubt anyone checks that anymore, so I'll post it here.

The build thread is sparse on details, but from what I can gather, you guys have Espar coolant heaters and an Espar Digi-Stat in the trucks? I was under the impression that the Espar thermostats were only compatible with the forced air heaters? Could we get some more information on that?

Also, who makes those water tank filler caps you featured so prominently in the build thread?

Keep up the great work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998