1993 K2500-Picking up today!!!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3331935418.html

Please let me know what you guys think. Would love input, ideas, opinions, and info on how to make this thing more bombproof than it already is. Thanks!

Dang buddy, you did well on that score! :Wow1: Outside of the little bit of sunburn on the hood and roof she one clean machine. The price seems like a heck of a good deal too and bonus that is has factory GM PYO option wheels from a GMT800 truck. Double bonus with it having a TBI 7.4L. The ‘96 - '00 MPFI 7.4L engines have more seat of the pants power but the TBI is a dirt reliable machine with gobs of torque. The IFS of that generation is actually better than the IFS on the later GMT800 trucks. About the only thing that isn’t reliable on these is the front axle disconnect. I can’t remember if ’93 was thermal or electric but neither were that great. I have a new Posi-Lok kit still in the box for one of these if you are interested. The Posi-Lok kit replaces the thermal or electric disconnect with a cable actuator which works just like manual locking hubs. You can even use 2wd low range with the Posi-Lok kit too which is handy when backing up trailers, etc when you want to go really slow in 2wd.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this beauty! Nice score! We’ll be expecting more pictures about 15 minutes after you get it home. :elkgrin:

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Sweet! That's a good looking deal. The interior of that thing looks pretty nice from the ad. Looking forward to seeing where you go with it. :D

Have fun, neighbor. :sombrero:

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Dang buddy, you did well on that score! :Wow1: Outside of the little bit of sunburn on the hood and roof she one clean machine. The price seems like a heck of a good deal too and bonus that is has factory GM PYO option wheels from a GMT800 truck. Double bonus with it having a TBI 7.4L. The ‘96 - '00 MPFI 7.4L engines have more seat of the pants power but the TBI is a dirt reliable machine with gobs of torque. The IFS of that generation is actually better than the IFS on the later GMT800 trucks. About the only thing that isn't reliable on these is the front axle disconnect. I can't remember if '93 was thermal or electric but neither were that great. I have a new Posi-Lok kit still in the box for one of these if you are interested. The Posi-Lok kit replaces the thermal or electric disconnect with a cable actuator which works just like manual locking hubs. You can even use 2wd low range with the Posi-Lok kit too which is handy when backing up trailers, etc when you want to go really slow in 2wd.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this beauty! Nice score! We'll be expecting more pictures about 15 minutes after you get it home. :elkgrin:

Dude, thanks for the positive input!! It makes me feel even better about the whole thing. I will definitely check into the Posi-Lok and keep you posted. This weekend will just be general cleaning, fixing some small things, but the PO did a good job of keeping things tight.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Sweet! That's a good looking deal. The interior of that thing looks pretty nice from the ad. Looking forward to seeing where you go with it. :D

Have fun, neighbor. :sombrero:

Thanks man! Interior is pretty clean, considering. I will give it my OCD touch of love, but other than that, I think it's good.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Well, I drove it home an hour last night and man does thing drive smooth! The power is good, it sounds great, everything works, and it is comfortable. It feels really solid, shifts great, etc... I'll have some pics up later today for those that want to see. So far my plans this weekend just consist of cleaning it up inside, installing new speakers in the dash and rear doors, new wipers front and rear, new tint on the back window, lubing EVERYTHING and fluid changes. We'll see what I find then. I am STOKED about this. I got it for $2500 drive home.

Last edited:

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
...and the deal gets better! Wow. Awesome. Great to hear such a positive report back so far.

I bet the thing will be great once all the fresh fluids and add-ons are in. Looking forward to seeing the new pics!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
So cool:Wow1: to see a new member to the `Burb´crew. Looks like you have got a steal of a deal Cheers, Chilli.:)

BBslider001

Diesel Head
I spent the entire day disassembling the interior and removing the carpet to power wash it. 10 hours and $20 later, it's finally back together, for the most part. I'll post up pics in a little bit. The amazing junk that came out of the carpet could have built a new house! Pretty crazy....stay tuned!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Pictures? Pictures? Pictures? Pictures? Pictures? Pictures? Pictures? ......we want pictures! :drool:

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Well, here are some deconstruction with before and after. I hope they load in the correct order.

Attachments

• Suburban Deconstruction 014.JPG
    Suburban Deconstruction 014.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 16
  • Suburban Deconstruction 015.JPG
    Suburban Deconstruction 015.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Suburban Deconstruction 016.JPG
    Suburban Deconstruction 016.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Suburban Deconstruction 017.JPG
    Suburban Deconstruction 017.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Suburban Deconstruction 018.JPG
    Suburban Deconstruction 018.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Suburban Deconstruction 019.JPG
    Suburban Deconstruction 019.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Suburban Deconstruction 020.JPG
    Suburban Deconstruction 020.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Suburban Deconstruction 007.JPG
    Suburban Deconstruction 007.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Suburban Deconstruction 008.JPG
    Suburban Deconstruction 008.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Suburban Deconstruction 009.JPG
    Suburban Deconstruction 009.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 13

BBslider001

Diesel Head
The random bottle of gel and sunscreen were under the console when I removed it for cleaning. The gray nasty carpet is what got degreased and power washed. The more pleasant brown is what came out after 30 minutes of work. I ran out of daylight, but will have more up tomorrow. The back carpet is on the docket for the morning. It will be MUCH easier though and much less time consuming. The ride home from the shop proved to be absent of the weird smells I was getting before the cleaning. Needless to say, am stoked beyond belief with this find. I can't believe I got it for such a good deal. More to come!!!

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Got Purple? This stuff is great for removing old grease stains, coffee stains, and the random substance the is unable to be identified. :sombrero:

Attachments

• Suburban Deconstruction 010.JPG
    Suburban Deconstruction 010.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 9
  • Suburban Deconstruction 012.JPG
    Suburban Deconstruction 012.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Suburban Deconstruction 013.JPG
    Suburban Deconstruction 013.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 5
  • Suburban Deconstruction 005.JPG
    Suburban Deconstruction 005.JPG