Lifts: Expedition behavior

don't blink

Calling all ExPo'ers (ites?) with lifts on their 80's:

I want to know your thoughts on this suspension overhaul that I'll be doing shortly.

I'll be doing 35 inch tires and a 4 inch suspension lift.

What has been your experience with big lifts like this on expeditions (dirt roads, mud, fording, etc.)?

I'm looking for any and all input.

mattafact

Adventurer
I did a few trips to baja in my old 80 with approx 4" of springs and spacers and 37" BFGs. The lack of caster correction and no steering stabilizer made it a bit sketchy on those heavily crowned Mexican roads but it was much better once I had the steering box rebuilt.

When it did it again in my next 80 with stock height OME springs and 285/75/16s it was effortless on those same roads.

djsixbillion

Adventurer
I don't know if it was an expedition or not, but I just got back from a great trip to Death Valley with my 4" lifted 80 on 315's. Covered about 150 miles off-road and the truck didn't break a sweat. 20 psi makes for a great ride on the washboard!

don't blink

I did a few trips to baja in my old 80 with approx 4" of springs and spacers and 37" BFGs. The lack of caster correction and no steering stabilizer made it a bit sketchy on those heavily crowned Mexican roads but it was much better once I had the steering box rebuilt.

When it did it again in my next 80 with stock height OME springs and 285/75/16s it was effortless on those same roads.

I don't know if it was an expedition or not, but I just got back from a great trip to Death Valley with my 4" lifted 80 on 315's. Covered about 150 miles off-road and the truck didn't break a sweat. 20 psi makes for a great ride on the washboard!

Exactly the kind of first hand info I'm looking for.

This is making me feel really good about this project.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
Long drives are better off with a minimal lift.Brakes and handling are always better when you are lower to the ground.

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
Unless the terrain where you are going to travel over dictates that much lift and tire size, it makes no sense to build an expedition truck with 4" of lift with 35's. More complexity on the lift, possible driveline issues including specializes driveshafts, adjustable components vs fixed parts (panhard rods) etc etc. Those all introduce possible failure points or complication. Also lower fuel consumption, thus reduced range.

Sounds strange coming from a company that sells these items, but the above is the reality. Now in opposition to this, most people like the look of the larger trucks, they do not go on true expeditions or they just want a 4" lift. In those cases I say, build it the way you want it.

The other issues with expedition trucks is weight. Make sure you get a system that can handle the weight. Make sure the springs have enough spring rate to hold the truck up. Don't get lift with sub-par springs and then spacers. Get decent shocks that can control the ride.

cruiser guy

Explorer
Along the same lines as Christo. If you do a lift do it RIGHT! Don't skip this and minimize that to save a few pennies, you WILL regret it in worse handling and maintenance.

As the second poster alluded to, castor correction. I did a lift on my old FJ55 and had the wrong castor correction and it was a pain to drive, fixed the castor correction and no problems any more!

baja dan

Observer
i went with a 3" ome j springs nitro shocks, front 30mm spacer from manafre and caster correction bushings on 315 mtr's air down to 15psi itg rides like a caddy over washboards very stable ofroad and plenty of flex. leave the sway bars on and you will have no problems.

Attachments

• o course 1.jpg
    o course 1.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 21
  • ocourse 3.jpg
    ocourse 3.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 19
  • arti ramp 2.jpg
    arti ramp 2.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 17
  • arti ramp1.jpg
    arti ramp1.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 15

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
i went with a 3" ome j springs nitro shocks, front 30mm spacer from manafre and caster correction bushings

There is no caster correction bushings that can fix caster for J springs with 30mm spacers with a relative light bumper on the front. You are probably close to 4+" of lift and I bet your caster is negative. In our experience that does not make for a truck that drives well, especially in emergency avoidance maneuvers.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
I bought my 80 already lift with J springs, L shocks and Slee castor plates and front spacers. It makes for about 5" lift. It has 315's and 4.88 gears.

If I'd lifted from stock, I'd rather have 3" or less lift, corrected castor and the same tires/gearing. It should minimize impact on driveline angles.

From my experience, there are few places where the extra lift will benefit you in a "do all" vehicle.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
are there any caster correction or alignment fixes necessary for the OME 2.5" lift?

Yes, you will need some variety of caster correction with a 2.5". Most vendors include the OME caster correction with the 2-3" lifts, we offer the Slee Caster Plates with our 4-5" 80 Suspensions.

86tuning

Adventurer
OME 850-860 won't require as much in terms of specialized parts. Just some caster correction (either bushings or plates) and shocks. Every penny you spend on upgraded dampers is worth it, IMO. Don't scrimp on those.

Wierdest part is that an 80 on 35s looks normal with 2-3" lift. Doesn't look lifted at all! That extra one inch costs a fair bit more to buy and do properly.

"Do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again" --Anon.

Surfy

Adventurer
I love the AHC Stuff of Toyota - where you can lift or lower the car when you need em.

On higher speeds on the highway - it lowers down automatically and gives a better handling at higher speeds.

It saved our *** severall times, that the AHC on 4Lo (high) is able to lift again some cm`s - when it detects wheelspin on all wheels.

Unfortunately just the Europe and southafrican Version of the Land Cruiser 200 is equipped with it.

I never would lift a car.. The fuel usage is worse, it is worse to drive in a bad angle (many "fail" videos in youtube wouldnt happen without lift), if you had to dodge at speed - your situation is worse with lift too...

Better get some good armor below - and to scratch a bit sometimes :elkgrin: And maybe to setup 33" tyres - if your engine allows it...

fullybalanced

Too many plans, not enough time
I've got a 2-3" Ironman lift with Bilstien shocks. No type of "correction" was needed. I can climb anything "normal" and most things "abnormal" and drive 80 on the highway (assuming I can afford the gas). If you're stuck on just 35" tires, you can run those with NO lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle