Ford Fullsize Thread !!!!

Easternshoreman

I have a few questions for all the crew cab long bed super duty owners. Do you have any complaints about driving off road with a truck that long? I know they are more likely to bottom out because of the length, but is there any other issues besides that that you have found?

Also, If you were going to get a new truck would you go with a crew cab long bed again or would you go with the short bed?

I'm asking because i plan on starting the build of my 2000 crew cab short bed F-250 and because it has 331,000+ miles on it, i know i'm going to replace it in the next few years. I'm going to buy another 7.3L when it comes time for a new truck, because i really like how durable and primitive it is compared to newer diesels. I also want the same year truck so whatever i put on my truck now I can transfer is over to the newer truck when that time comes. I do like my crew cab short bed, but my concern is whether to go with the long bed for the added storage space or stay with the short bed for a little better maneuverability. And I want to get a contractors style cap for my truck but i'm torn on getting one for a short bed and risk wanting a long bed in the future, and have to spend more money to get a new cap and whatever else I may buy that would fit a short bed and not a long bed truck.

Your opinions and insight would be greatly appreciated!

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
This is my 2012 F-150 Screw 4X4 with Offroad Package and 5.0 V8. Still basically stock, as I have to use it for work, too. Mods will be coming as time and cash allow:

F-150Pcs004.jpg

F-150Pcs015.jpg

Speaker

Adventurer
What do you think of those better built boxes? I was going to pick up a set to place infront of the wheel wells. Did you just bolt them to the bed? What is the distance between the boxes now with them in there?

F350

Observer
New guy checking in... Mines not really a "expedition" type rig but it's what I have. Had a 9.5' hard side S&S in a past life and still drag around a 24' jetboat. Love the truck and it's paid for. Mods include 2.5" lift, 255/85 Bfg KM2's, DP tuner, exhaust and intake, and few other minor things. Currently researching pop-up campers like ATC, FWC, and Phoenix so I can do some back country camping and still tow the boat when needed. Also want to be able to camp in the winter time here in wet Oregon so I can ride my quad in the dunes when it's less crowded. Nice site with lots of ideas...too bad the ideas out pace my wallet. :rolleyes:

:beer:

p526687417-3.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Welcome F350. We hit Honeyman in the quiet season regularly. Oregon is awesome in the "Discovery Season"!! Duallys with toys behind are totally legit.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
What do you think of those better built boxes? I was going to pick up a set to place infront of the wheel wells. Did you just bolt them to the bed? What is the distance between the boxes now with them in there?

They seem to be fine, in a typical light-weight aluminum box way. I have no complaints with them so far. I just bolted them through with 1/4" bolts. I don't remember the width, and I now have my bicycle fork mount in there as well. I'll try to measure this week.

Here are a couple of my 1989 f-150. It is more built for wheeling than long expeditions but I do daily drive it and have taken it on 400+ mile trips and done lots of camping in it. I plan to add some stuff to it this summer to make it more expedition ready.
IMG_0497.jpg
IMG_0492.jpg
IMG_0506.JPG

Laxaholic

Adventurer
What are y'all thinking about the new-ish Ford Ecoboost F150's? I've seen many say that they aren't as efficient as they are reported to be. Any reliability/longevity concerns?

sweet rig!

how much did you shorten the bed?

what are the specs on the front axle? 4 linked d60?

Took about 16 inches out of the bed. I had to move the tank forward and move the gas filler hole.

And ya its a dana 60 with a 3 link and panhard bar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle