Expedition Overland 2013 Tacoma Build

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
TRD Exhaust upgrade

We ( as in Clay) really wanted this. It sounds better and provides marginal performance gains. But hey at the end of the day if you think your going to like something and you dont think youll regret it. Then its alright to go for it. Clay is more than happy. Here are a few pics.

Ramjet

Explorer
I have the same exhaust on my FJ, love it. Deep and throaty, puts my son to sleep every time we start down the road.

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Scan Gauge II installed.

Well, this might be something incredibly simple, but the Scan Gauge II just might be one of the most beneficial installs to our expedition. Being able to monitor fuel consumption and Range estimates etc is super critical. In addition the ability to monitor all kinds of other systems is very handy. Do you know what your rig runs at water temp wise? We found out its about 190ºF for the taco. It has been very revealing when it comes to driving habits and will be the great equalizer amongst many drivers. 160$ and its well worth it.

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
I also love running Torque on my Android devices and Dash Command on iOS (iPad) for some of these sensors and readouts as well.

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Icon Front Suspension installed!

With having great success with Old Man Emu we know what good suspension feels like. Some people have already asked whats wrong with OME suspension. The answer is nothing. Its good stuff and at a great pricepoint. However, there is another level to suspension. We have reached that level by going to ICON Vehicle Dynamics. The main thing to recognize here is that Suspension matters! Quite possibly the most crucial upgrade to your vehicle when it comes to comfort and the longevity of your vehicles interior/frame/and bearings etc. Its one of those items where you should buy the best you can afford (This doesn't mean that you buy what you think you "can" afford but since you did you find yourself no longer going out to explore because your "Truck poor"). Ok enough financial advice.

At Expedition Overland we made that same decision. The decision to put on the best suspension available to us. ICON Sponsored our vehicles and we are STOKED!

What does the best suspension available mean to us at XO?
It means...
-We have less fatigue at the end of the day from HEAD BOBBLE (true story your head jaring all day or swaying about takes it out of you.) Less fatigue means a better show because we have the energy necessary to produce it.
-Protecting your asset. AKA the Vehicle. The better the suspension the less abuse the rest of the vehicle takes. On long extended trips in the middle of nowhere this really matters.
-The suspension is tuned for exactly what your using it for and has the best technology built into it to make it work better for longer. (within parameters)

This is the first set of really high end stuff I (Clay)have ever owned. I can already say that it is remarkable!

My wife Rachelle Croft of the XElles drove the MAXTRAX FJ cruiser equipt with ICON in the Rallye Aiche Des Gazelles race in Morocco last year. She was able to participate for the entire 9 day event without a single mechanical issue. At times crawling and other times racing at 80+ across the dried lake beds. She became an instant fan of the ICON suspension and now I am too!

Here are the general details.
We installed the equivalent of the Stage 4 system from ICON. (http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/...ota-Tacoma-Suspension-System-%2d-Stage-4.html)

Overview: This suspension system will give your 05-Up Tacoma the best ride quality and performance compared to any other suspension system on the market today. The front and rear reservoir shocks dissipate heat for long lasting performance. The Billet Upper Control Arms increase articulation and allow for the extended travel shocks to give you the additional wheel travel. The Rear Add a Leaf System will increase your on road ride quality by taking the place of the thick factory over load spring. This system is complete bolt and require very little effort to install. Recommended tire size 285/75R16, wheel 16X8 with 5" back spacing.Stage 4 System Contents:
-New Upper Control Arm Kit
5-8735 - Extended Travel Remote Reservoir Coil-over Shock Kit
5-1100 - 1.5" Lift Rear Add a Leaf Kit ( we replaced this with custom made DEAVER rear springs for a 1000 LB weight increase over stock payload.
5-7505 x 2 - ICON Series Rear Reservoir Shocks

DEAVER Rear leaf springs.http://www.deaverspring.com/

Front Coil overs:

No comparison between the two!

DEAVER rear springs:

Rear ICON Dual Reservoir Shocks:

Hole drilled for Reservoir Mounting bracket.

Results!

D

Deleted member 13060

Well, this might be something incredibly simple, but the Scan Gauge II just might be one of the most beneficial installs to our expedition. Being able to monitor fuel consumption and Range estimates etc is super critical. In addition the ability to monitor all kinds of other systems is very handy. Do you know what your rig runs at water temp wise? We found out its about 190ºF for the taco. It has been very revealing when it comes to driving habits and will be the great equalizer amongst many drivers. 160$ and its well worth it.

Didn't see if you were running the man trans or the auto. Didn't look that hard either...:)
Here's the "codes" for the Scan Guage to monitor trans temp in the auto. The codes worked on my 2011 FJ so I assume they'll work on a Taco....

Transmission Temperature 1 (Degrees F) 2010+ (pan)
TXD: 07E02182
RXF: 046105820000
RXD: 2808
MTH: 00090005FFD8
NAM: TF1

Transmission Temperature 2 (Degrees F) 2010+ (outlet from T/C, this one will scare you when you see how high it gets)
RXD: 3808
NAM: TF2

YMMV RON
PS keep up the great work.....

mvbeggs

Adventurer

That gas mileage may be a bit misleading if you haven't corrected for tire size and regearing. How have you corrected for the larger tires and new gearing?

I'm running 23585R16 with an aluminum front bumper with winch, plate rear bumper, and steel sliders. I also have corrected the speedo and odometer using a Hypertech Recalibrator. My combined city/highway is quite a bit less. (~ 14.2 mpg) Towing the trailer (AT Chaser and AT Teardrop) on the highway yields about 12 mpg. Unloaded, the Taco gets about 16 mpg on the highway.

I would love to be getting 18+ mpg! What's your magic formula!

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks thats Awesome! We are running the manual transmission. We will get this fired up if we can.

Didn't see if you were running the man trans or the auto. Didn't look that hard either...:)
Here's the "codes" for the Scan Guage to monitor trans temp in the auto. The codes worked on my 2011 FJ so I assume they'll work on a Taco....

Transmission Temperature 1 (Degrees F) 2010+ (pan)
RXD: 2808
NAM: TF1

Transmission Temperature 2 (Degrees F) 2010+ (outlet from T/C, this one will scare you when you see how high it gets)
RXD: 3808
NAM: TF2

YMMV RON
PS keep up the great work.....

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
We have just calibrated the percentage off at this point using a GPS. With the regearing and larger tire size our speedometer was about 7% off. This photo was taken pre regearing. Our R's now run at 2950RPMS at this same speed and we get a little less in mileage. Our big key is religiously driving smooth and at a 70 MPH.

That gas mileage may be a bit misleading if you haven't corrected for tire size and regearing. How have you corrected for the larger tires and new gearing?

I'm running 23585R16 with an aluminum front bumper with winch, plate rear bumper, and steel sliders. I also have corrected the speedo and odometer using a Hypertech Recalibrator. My combined city/highway is quite a bit less. (~ 14.2 mpg) Towing the trailer (AT Chaser and AT Teardrop) on the highway yields about 12 mpg. Unloaded, the Taco gets about 16 mpg on the highway.

I would love to be getting 18+ mpg! What's your magic formula!

mvbeggs

Adventurer
We have just calibrated the percentage off at this point using a GPS. With the regearing and larger tire size our speedometer was about 7% off. This photo was taken pre regearing. Our R's now run at 2950RPMS at this same speed and we get a little less in mileage. Our big key is religiously driving smooth and at a 70 MPH.

You're turning 2950 @ 70mph? Aren't you running 285/75R16's and geared 4.56? I ran a quick calc using a spread sheet I setup when I was trying to determine the right tire size/ gearing for my Tacoma. That combo should only be about 14% lower geared than stock. I would have thought you could cruise at about 80mph and only turn a little over 2600rppm, which in my world would be acceptable. Here's the calcs if anyone is interested.

GearRatioTireSizeWheelSizeRPM28575r16geared456caclulator_zps4f40d044.jpg

Finlay

Triarius
You're turning 2950 @ 70mph? Aren't you running 285/75R16's and geared 4.56? I ran a quick calc using a spread sheet I setup when I was trying to determine the right tire size/ gearing for my Tacoma. That combo should only be about 14% lower geared than stock. I would have thought you could cruise at about 80mph and only turn a little over 2600rppm, which in my world would be acceptable. Here's the calcs if anyone is interested.

If you look at his pic, he's doing ~70 @ ~2300 rpm.

Booosted Supra

Observer
I have been following you guys for sometime now on youtube and on the forums, def looking forward to see the completed product and your next adventure. An inspiration for alot of big things to come for me in 2013 is an undersatement. Thank you.

uscg2008

Explorer
Def going to be upgrading my 2.5s ext travel fronts to resis too. Have u guys thought about upgrading to a 14" coil to in either 650# or 700# spring rate to compensate for the front bumper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12