Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Looks like a star war's stormtropper to me - I prefer white with the black flairs - easier to touch up when rubbed...

Very nice looking jeep!
I agree! Mine has black flairs too and I prefer for the same reasons. So let me re-phrase my statement: brianjwilson's JKUR looks almost perfect all white; only way to improve would be black fenders :elkgrin:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Looks like a star war's stormtropper to me - I prefer white with the black flairs - easier to touch up when rubbed...

Very nice looking jeep!

I wanted the standard flares initially too. I actually have a set of used/scratched gray flares in the basement. But the white grew on me and I quit caring about the paint on the flares after the first time out. Lots of rock chips, gouges and scratches on them but they don't rust, so what do I care?! I can always repaint them if I wanted, or put the used flares on.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I wanted the standard flares initially too. I actually have a set of used/scratched gray flares in the basement. But the white grew on me and I quit caring about the paint on the flares after the first time out. Lots of rock chips, gouges and scratches on them but they don't rust, so what do I care?! I can always repaint them if I wanted, or put the used flares on.
Just messing with ya, Brian, we are all just jealous ;)

JDaPP

Adventurer
Is there any way to utilize an awning?

Yes. You should be able to drill through the hardtop and put a backer plate or something on the back side to reinforce it. I asked John about it when I bought it and his only caution was for the wires on the drivers side.

Charlie56

Adventurer
Yes. You should be able to drill through the hardtop and put a backer plate or something on the back side to reinforce it. I asked John about it when I bought it and his only caution was for the wires on the drivers side.

I used some SS straps from west marine mounted to the Ursa Minor top to attach a Kelty Carport to.

Amy H

Observer
Ann-Marie, that was fast!

Did you have the Ecamper shipped to you? If so, was it hard to connect the wiring/ bolt pattern to the Jeep? Also did you order a top at all when ordering the Jeep? Just wondered if it was possible to lower the cost of the Jeep, since I probably wouldn't take the Ecamper off once I got it on.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Also did you order a top at all when ordering the Jeep? Just wondered if it was possible to lower the cost of the Jeep, since I probably wouldn't take the Ecamper off once I got it on.

You can't order the Jeep with no top, they won't do that.

You should be able to sell a mint hard top for ~$1k though, which brings down the cost of the Ursa stuff nicely.

-Dan

Ann-Marie, that was fast!

Did you have the Ecamper shipped to you? If so, was it hard to connect the wiring/ bolt pattern to the Jeep? Also did you order a top at all when ordering the Jeep? Just wondered if it was possible to lower the cost of the Jeep, since I probably wouldn't take the Ecamper off once I got it on.

Well, it's a funny story. I bought the camper used from a guy in Portland. I'm pretty sure this is the first used Ursa Minor top (it's in great shape). I've been plotting this setup for a year now so it was a no brainier purchase when I saw the ad on craigslist. The funny part was I didn't own a Jeep yet. The seller was awesome and offered to store it & install once I had a jeep. A few week later I bought a jeep and took 3 friends out for a total of 5 people to do the install. The top is heavy. The wiring was a bit out of my league but you can certainly find people on the portal or nearby to help. Or just drive to San Diego to pick up & install. Use the shipping money for a nice summer road trip :)

Sweet! Glad to see you got it together!

Yes! It's awesome. We went camping last weekend at the coast. We easily fit our camping gear + two people + two dogs in the jeep with no problem.

One thing - I noticed some air noise from the top on the driver side. Has anyone experienced this?

Brian - let me know if you are around this weekend. I'd love to meet up.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I'm in the beginning of 17 days of working offshore. :( I come back on the 24th but I'm immediately packing and leaving for a weekend trip. But I have six weeks off, I'll be around when I'm not out by Utah.

I got the wind noise from my drivers side as well. I was able to get my finger in the right spot that quieted the noise. Then I went to napa and picked up some rubber/foam adhesive backed weather stripping, and stuffed it behind the factory seal to firm it up.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Yes! It's awesome. We went camping last weekend at the coast. We easily fit our camping gear + two people + two dogs in the jeep with no problem.

One thing - I noticed some air noise from the top on the driver side. Has anyone experienced this?

Brian - let me know if you are around this weekend. I'd love to meet up.

Another place for wind noise is the upper front corner of the door. If you look at it the seal is different right around there. Not sure why Jeep designed it this way, but it will always be that way no matter what top. If you figure out a solution to that one let me know

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Another place for wind noise is the upper front corner of the door. If you look at it the seal is different right around there. Not sure why Jeep designed it this way, but it will always be that way no matter what top. If you figure out a solution to that one let me know

I didn't clarify well, but that's where mine was coming from. Where the front corner of the drivers door meets the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman