Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

BOHICA

Adventurer
Good info on Froli from J30 owner...(scroll down to last post by Gustavo Antonio and see comments)

Last edited:

Gobirecon_tn

Sent you a
Have you ever gotten the tent fabric caught in the hinge mechanism on your Ursa Minor top while closing it? No matter how hard I tried it was inevitable that it would happen and it did on several occasions. I knew that sooner or later the hinges would cut the material and then I’d have to install an ugly patch, so I decided to study the problem and find a solution! The tent material is forced outward as the air escapes the top when closing, and I found it impossible to counter it when performing the final press to latch the top. Through trial and error I developed what I call Hinge Tamers. These kydex shields are heat formed and drilled to mount to the lower hinge using existing holes. I’ve been using a set on my own top for three years plus with no damage to my tent material, and I’m keeping all of my bedding upstairs on a 5” mattress! It's great living anxiety free every time I close the top! This set of shields fits Ursa Minor J30 tops for the JKU and JLU Jeeps. The box will include two formed and drilled Hinge Tamers, all the hardware and installation instructions. These are the last of the run so if you think you want a set, get them while you can. There are five sets left and then that's it! Thanks to those who have supported this little project.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2354476568...e is doing the same. Cheers, Thom [/QUOTE]

Gobirecon_tn

I've had some interest over the last year from people who didn't get a set of my Hinge Tamers, so now that things have slowed down a bit I've listed ten sets on eBay. I know that some folks don't do eBay and if you're one of those people you can message me. For those of you who do not know what these are, they are a set of guards I design and built to keep your tent fabric out of the hinge mechanism in JKU and JLU Ursa Minor J30 tops. I've had mine on the top for over a year and they've been great! Here's a youtube link, and a link to the auction.
I need some for my Ursa and I don’t use eBay

campertramper

Which size HEST did you go with?
Short: 64 x 25 x 3.9 inches
Regular: 78 x 25 x 3.9 inches
Regular Wide: 78 x 30 x 3.9 inches
I picked up two of the regular ones - Regular: 78 x 25 x 3.9 inches. I just came back from my first 11 day trip with the new mattress. The ursa minor is so much more comfortable now and I've just had my best nights of sleep ever! The downside is that the top doesn't close as easily and I'm not able to easily make use of the internal hatches. I've been climbing up on the tire to get in and out. Still, for me it's been worth the trade off.

dmulk

I picked up two of the regular ones - Regular: 78 x 25 x 3.9 inches. I just came back from my first 11 day trip with the new mattress. The ursa minor is so much more comfortable now and I've just had my best nights of sleep ever! The downside is that the top doesn't close as easily and I'm not able to easily make use of the internal hatches. I've been climbing up on the tire to get in and out. Still, for me it's been worth the trade off.
So.....to be clear.....I replaced ALL of the ties with the buckles....so what I usually do is unclip one or two on the passenger side so I can access the one hatch. I push the hatch and pad up and forward (the top is already open). I then toss what I need up there and climb up using only the passenger side hatch.

I will typically leave half the gear loft folded over and tucked up into itself under the driver hatch and only use the one hatch if that makes sense....

I'll try and shoot some photos to illustrate next much when I'm leading a group through the AZBDR.

Hope this is helpful!

ncflyer

Got this from HEST. Now making a version for GFC. - I know this is an UM thread, just thought some may be interested since it is sections so may be an alternative to what's
mentioned above?? Look to be a bit big for the space but only looking at the UM website for dimensions.

Got this from HEST. Now making a version for GFC. - I know this is an UM thread, just thought some may be interested since it is sections so may be an alternative to what's
mentioned above?? Look to be a bit big for the space but only looking at the UM website for dimensions.

I really hope they make this for the Ursa Minor. I did see another option on Instagram from @jeepingcouple that had a mattress made for them by roamrest

campertramper

Thanks for posting this! A similar modded version with exact dimensions for the ursa minor would be amazing!
Ursa Minor JK version is 85.236 x 49.250 x 2" (diagram below from https://ursaminorvehicles.com/j30-specifications)

The version of the HEST that I got is 78 x 50 x 3.9". It fits snugly. The biggest problem is that the ursa minor tapers a little bit from the back to the front and so while the 50" wide is great in the back of the vehicle, it gets tight towards the front. This could be addressed by cutting out some foam, but I haven't yet had the courage. I actually really like that it's 5" shorter than the length of the ursa minor bed platform because you can fit a pillow in the cavity while the top is closed and leave your shoes or phone and wallet in the cavity at night while you are sleeping.

Now the version that you linked to is 90" x 50", and so around 5" too long. It could certainly be trimmed down if you have the courage to modify a $750 mattress (thus making it non-returnable). It might or might not line up with the ursa minor hatches with the small cushions - I don't know. It's not clear from the published ursa minor diagram (below). Maybe John Gish will chime in with an opinion.

I also want to mention that I did contact HEST to ask if they would customize one for the Ursa Minor community and they said that they do not currently do custom work. If John contacted them directly I have a feeling he would be more persuasive than a lone ursa minor owner like me.

If you decide to get the https://hest.com/products/dually-platform-50 and trim it down, please take lots of photos and let us know how it goes!

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior