Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

campertramper

New topic regarding the Blue Ridge Overland Gear Jeep JKU Attic at https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/products/jeep-jku-attic-blue-ridge-overland-gear - someone calling himself "Dan M." posted "This gear attic is great with an Ursa Minor J30! - I modded my gear attic with some quick release attachments so I could easily unclip it to move it out of the way of the J30 hatches above the rear seats. This makes storing all of my bedding a snap to setup once I get to camp."

Does anyone know who this is? I would love to understand how he modded the straps into quick releases.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 10.55.53 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 10.55.53 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 10.56.05 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 10.56.05 PM.png
    203.8 KB · Views: 45

sabjku

Observer
I store all of my bedding up in the Ursa. No need to remove it. I'm sure you're aware of it, but the pic you attached is of the BROG attic being used with a factory top, not an Ursa. Or maybe you just attached that pic to show the attic itself.

I tried getting my attic to work with the Ursa, and it didn't work out like I wanted it to. I also realized I really didn't need it since bedding could be kept upstairs.

dmulk

New topic regarding the Blue Ridge Overland Gear Jeep JKU Attic at https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/products/jeep-jku-attic-blue-ridge-overland-gear - someone calling himself "Dan M." posted "This gear attic is great with an Ursa Minor J30! - I modded my gear attic with some quick release attachments so I could easily unclip it to move it out of the way of the J30 hatches above the rear seats. This makes storing all of my bedding a snap to setup once I get to camp."

Does anyone know who this is? I would love to understand how he modded the straps into quick releases.
That's me. :)

dmulk

Does
That's me. :)

anyone know who this is? I would love to understand how he modded the straps into quick releases.
Avoid using the cheap amazon versions of these. Use the actual sea to summit. Trust me on this.

I used two things:

Sea to Summit 1-Pin Side-Release Field Repair Buckle​

RIO Direct 4PCS Tie Down Straps, Heavy Duty Lashing Straps Adjustable Cam Buckle Tie-Down Straps for Motorcycle, Cargo, Trucks,Trailer,Luggage- 3.3' x 1" Black​

Basically used the ratchet straps on the rollbar attachment points and the field repair straps on the BROG. I can unclip or clip any portion of the BROG I need in seconds. Makes tossing all the get upstairs very quick as well as packing it all up.

Since I camp in weather near 0F and don't rely on artificial heat I need to carry layers that aren't always used. The otherwise unused space under the hatches is prefect for this.

I keep these extra layers (wool and fleece blankets) manageable using cheap packing cubes on amazon.

Not storing things up stairs keeps Kris at UM less pissed off.... (If you know him though, he is never fully happy unless he has a good IPA in his hand....) lol!

<D>
PS: You can rollup and secure the unused lead end that is stitched in to the BROG or you can trim it (like I did).

campertramper

Avoid using the cheap amazon versions of these. Use the actual sea to summit. Trust me on this.

I used two things:

Sea to Summit 1-Pin Side-Release Field Repair Buckle​

RIO Direct 4PCS Tie Down Straps, Heavy Duty Lashing Straps Adjustable Cam Buckle Tie-Down Straps for Motorcycle, Cargo, Trucks,Trailer,Luggage- 3.3' x 1" Black​

Basically used the ratchet straps on the rollbar attachment points and the field repair straps on the BROG. I can unclip or clip any portion of the BROG I need in seconds. Makes tossing all the get upstairs very quick as well as packing it all up.

Since I camp in weather near 0F and don't rely on artificial heat I need to carry layers that aren't always used. The otherwise unused space under the hatches is prefect for this.

I keep these extra layers (wool and fleece blankets) manageable using cheap packing cubes on amazon.

Not storing things up stairs keeps Kris at UM less pissed off.... (If you know him though, he is never fully happy unless he has a good IPA in his hand....) lol!

<D>
PS: You can rollup and secure the unused lead end that is stitched in to the BROG or you can trim it (like I did).
Thank you so much for the reply dmulk! Do you recall which version of the buckle you used? The .625" and .75" look about right.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 9.55.22 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 9.55.22 AM.png
    845.2 KB · Views: 5

dmulk

Thank you so much for the reply dmulk! Do you recall which version of the buckle you used? The .625" and .75" look about right.
hmmmm..... it's been a while. I *think* they may have even been the 1in. I'm not 100% certain of the part number. Best bet would be to hit up an REI and match them up in the parking lot.

Since we are on the topic.... The BROG JL gear loft fits perfect in the void above and behind the rear roll bar. I used the existing screws for the J30 panel to mount the quick releases. I'll try and post up some photos here or on their facebook group when I have some time. :)

campertramper

hmmmm..... it's been a while. I *think* they may have even been the 1in. I'm not 100% certain of the part number. Best bet would be to hit up an REI and match them up in the parking lot.

Since we are on the topic.... The BROG JL gear loft fits perfect in the void above and behind the rear roll bar. I used the existing screws for the J30 panel to mount the quick releases. I'll try and post up some photos here or on their facebook group when I have some time. :)
I'll measure the straps and figure it out - thanks dmulk! I would love to see some photos of your BROG lofts (if and when you get the chance!). I have some MOLLE bags mounted to some velcro that mounts to the roof of the Ursa Minor, but they don't stay quite as well as I would like, but I'm always open to new possibilities!

dmulk

I'll measure the straps and figure it out - thanks dmulk! I would love to see some photos of your BROG lofts (if and when you get the chance!). I have some MOLLE bags mounted to some velcro that mounts to the roof of the Ursa Minor, but they don't stay quite as well as I would like, but I'm always open to new possibilities!
Sure thing. I'll try and snap some photos and post over the next week or so. Been busy with the work grind these days. :)

Yuke

Adventurer
Considering selling my camper. If anyone’s in the market for a like new JK camper I am in Massachusetts.

dmulk

Weekend project. Mounted my propane tank in the void between the HiLift jack and the Titan Fuel tank. Pretty happy how it turned out. The Axe and Shovel still fit mounted to the HiLift also.

20240218_154156.jpg20240218_154202.jpg20240218_154806.jpg

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Have you ever gotten the tent fabric caught in the hinge mechanism on your Ursa Minor top while closing it? No matter how hard I tried it was inevitable that it would happen and it did on several occasions. I knew that sooner or later the hinges would cut the material and then I’d have to install an ugly patch, so I decided to study the problem and find a solution! The tent material is forced outward as the air escapes the top when closing, and I found it impossible to counter it when performing the final press to latch the top. Through trial and error I developed what I call Hinge Tamers. These kydex shields are heat formed and drilled to mount to the lower hinge using existing holes. I’ve been using a set on my own top for three years plus with no damage to my tent material, and I’m keeping all of my bedding upstairs on a 5” mattress! It's great living anxiety free every time I close the top! This set of shields fits Ursa Minor J30 tops for the JKU and JLU Jeeps. The box will include two formed and drilled Hinge Tamers, all the hardware and installation instructions. These are the last of the run so if you think you want a set, get them while you can. There are five sets left and then that's it! Thanks to those who have supported this little project.

dmulk

Have you ever gotten the tent fabric caught in the hinge mechanism on your Ursa Minor top while closing it? No matter how hard I tried it was inevitable that it would happen and it did on several occasions. I knew that sooner or later the hinges would cut the material and then I’d have to install an ugly patch, so I decided to study the problem and find a solution! The tent material is forced outward as the air escapes the top when closing, and I found it impossible to counter it when performing the final press to latch the top. Through trial and error I developed what I call Hinge Tamers. These kydex shields are heat formed and drilled to mount to the lower hinge using existing holes. I’ve been using a set on my own top for three years plus with no damage to my tent material, and I’m keeping all of my bedding upstairs on a 5” mattress! It's great living anxiety free every time I close the top! This set of shields fits Ursa Minor J30 tops for the JKU and JLU Jeeps. The box will include two formed and drilled Hinge Tamers, all the hardware and installation instructions. These are the last of the run so if you think you want a set, get them while you can. There are five sets left and then that's it! Thanks to those who have supported this little project.

They work. Get them.

campertramper

New topic - I found a great affordable down quilt that fits perfectly in my Ursa Minor! https://www.rei.com/product/229815/marmot-warmcube-quilt

Currently on clearance at REI. Better still dividends have just been sent out and supposedly this years 20% coupon will also apply to one clearance item, which would take another $50 off. Warm, quality product!
Just as a follow up I was able to apply my 20% discount to this purchase retroactively and final price came in at $206.99. I'm sure that there are other more attractive options on the market, but this is a quality product, super warm and a great fit in the Ursa Minor!

Accrete

Explorer
Hi everyone... Here's my latest: has anyone out there experimented with the "Froli Sleep System" under their mattress? For anyone not familiar, it adds little springs under you mattress for increased comfort and the shape is configurable which may work well with the mattress/hatch shape. It looks like the 'Travel Edition' adds just 1 3/8" of height which I believe will fit without impacting the roof closing. See https://nickleatlantic.com/collecti...i-travel-modular-bed-system?variant=709846003 ...

What do you think?

View attachment 698818
I searched this thread for an answer to this exact Question that was posted back in ~2021 and see there is no response so thought i would ask the question again of the J30 owners.

I ask because in both of our van builds my wife and i use the Froli Sleep System below custom cut natural latex mattresses (one is 3" the other is 4"... the 3" is ideal IMO).

We are in research mode to purchase a 2024 JLU + J30 top and think the Froli + a ~3" would be awesome in the bed area. Just wondering if anyone is doing the same.

Cheers,
Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior