Skinny tires on a Gen 3?

magoh76

Adventurer
ExPo has convinced me on the merits of a skinny tire, but does anyone have experience with them on a Gen 3? I know there are at least a few with skinnies on Gen 2s. I'm thinking about getting Cooper AT3 in a 235/85/16. I'm not sure 255's would fit without a lift and anyway there are only 3 or 4 choices that I can find in that size, all MT. I'm wanting an AT as my Monty became my daily driver a few weeks ago, and will be for a while. Thoughts on 235's on a Gen 3?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
All I can say is that I run the AT3's on my Chevy diesel truck in the 235/85 size and love them, even better than the 265/75 BFG's I was running before. The AT3 will be more than enough tire without needing an M/T tread.

Almost forgot to mention that they are very quiet as well.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
All I can say is that I run the AT3's on my truck in the 235/85 size and love them, even better than the BFG's I was running before. The AT3 will be more than enough tire without needing an M/T tread.

Almost forgot to mention that they are very quiet as well.
Which Montero do you have?

Monstero

Adventurer
I ran 285/75s on mine without any issue of rubbing so skinnies would be possible and also the 34 LTBs for a long time.

plh

Explorer
I have 265/70R17 Falkin Wild Peaks on mine. Measure almost 33" tall and 10" wide. Have put over 20k on them. I like the tires for winter snowy driving, but they really howl loud on city streets. Would never buy again.

magoh76

Adventurer
I have 265/70R17 Falkin Wild Peaks on mine. Measure almost 33" tall and 10" wide. Have put over 20k on them. I like the tires for winter snowy driving, but they really howl loud on city streets. Would never buy again.

Yeah, I had started out considering Wild Peaks based on some positive reviews in magazines, but the more I researched them and read on forums the less I liked them.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The problem with the 255 size is there are only about 3 tires available, all MT type tread. My Monty is currently my daily driver so I am looking for AT tires.

With my 235/85 AT3's I can set the cruise control at 5 over going up the canyons without any stability issues, and my truck weighs at least a ton more than a Monty so you would be just fine. I could go faster but mpg suffers.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
255/85/16 Maxxis Big Horns. Given the diversity of sand and limestone in our area, I couldn't be happier. It's my daily driver and our long hauler to the ocean as well.

3:4HorizDriverWarner.jpg

I have Cooper AT3s mounted on the stock rims and really appreciated their performance as well, I just wanted something taller for clearance along with the OME HD lift. I mounted the Coopers back on for a trip we're taking to the coast, and my ego got the best of me, it looked kind of silly. So the Big Horns are back on and I'll eat it at the pump.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger