Skinny tires on a Gen 3?

magoh76

Adventurer
255/85/16 Maxxis Big Horns. Given the diversity of sand and limestone in our area, I couldn't be happier. It's my daily driver and our long hauler to the ocean as well.

I actually looked into Big Horns based on your build, but the Maxxis dealer here said he hadn't been able to get any in. Back-ordered I guess? How much of a hit to MPG did you take going from the AT3 to the Big Horn?

Worth mentioning that anything beyond a +1 size won't fit on the stock spare carrier.

I may have missed it in your build thread, how did you deal with that?

Imnosaint

Adventurer
David,

I ordered the Big Horns through OnlineTires.com. They were delivered within a week. The Monty took about a 15% hit on fuel economy unloaded, but with the drag of an RTT and a full cargo area, the difference was negligible, it was terrible to begin with.

As for fitting the spare, I haven't dealt with it yet. Under the cover is a stock rim with a +1 AT3 mounted. I've read on this forum how the mounting plate was altered by cutting and welding it back together with the face raised a couple of inches. That's how I'll approach this as well when I buy that fifth tire.

I might also point out that I installed H&R 40mm spacers, pushing the rubber to the corners and filling the wells better. It took a fair amount of trimming as indicated in the thread to get it all free from rubbing, but it worked well.

-Eric

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Worth mentioning that anything beyond a +1 size won't fit on the stock spare carrier.
Does the stock gen 3 tire carrier use lug nuts or lug bolts? On a gen 2, it uses bolts but on the gen 1 it uses lug nuts. On my old gen 1, I used several galvanized 1/2" washers as spacers to push the tires out from the carrier and 12.5" wide tires fit.

On the gen 2 carrier, it uses lug bolts instead of lug nuts so washers wouldn't work between the tire and the mount but I wonder if you could put them between the carrier and the rear door to push the whole setup from the door skin giving you additional clearance?

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Does the stock gen 3 tire carrier use lug nuts or lug bolts? On a gen 2, it uses bolts but on the gen 1 it uses lug nuts. On my old gen 1, I used several galvanized 1/2" washers as spacers to push the tires out from the carrier and 12.5" wide tires fit.

On the gen 2 carrier, it uses lug bolts instead of lug nuts so washers wouldn't work between the tire and the mount but I wonder if you could put them between the carrier and the rear door to push the whole setup from the door skin giving you additional clearance?

The stock Gen III spare carrier uses a hook upon which the spare is hung and then is secured with three lug bolts. The hook would make it difficult to push the tire out from the carrier to fit a wider patch without modifying.

What would be REAL nice is if someone in the USA made a swing-out aftermarket bumper for this, don't you think? I've seen some great fabrications on this forum.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The stock Gen III spare carrier uses a hook upon which the spare is hung and then is secured with three lug bolts. The hook would make it difficult to push the tire out from the carrier to fit a wider patch without modifying.

Can the carrier be mounted further from the door with the use of washers and if needed, longer bolts? This could effectively allow for a wider tire on there.

cnutco

Adventurer
What would be REAL nice is if someone in the USA made a swing-out aftermarket bumper for this, don't you think? I've seen some great fabrications on this forum.

Agreed!

I am working on a list for my GEN3 but a custom fab rear bumper will have to be last. Those shop hours of fab is gonna run close to $3K. Just not sure I want to drop that yet. Might have to wait until my stock rear is ripped off...

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Can the carrier be mounted further from the door with the use of washers and if needed, longer bolts? This could effectively allow for a wider tire on there.

To answer this and other questions, at the risk of highjacking this thread (sorry), I removed the spare mount to accommodate a bike rack and thought to take a few pics to clarify what Gen III owners are dealing with in terms of the spare carrier and trying to modify it for wider and taller tires.

The spare carrier is a pressed one piece steel bucket that attaches onto the rear door with six bolts, four exterior and two interior (that's the CB antenna attached tot he mount).

SpareCarrierPiece.jpg

SpareRearPanel.jpg

The factory bolts are less than 3/4" long, as well as the bolts that thread through the door to be attached from the inside. So, using longer bolts and washers wouldn't properly secure the carrier with only four points of securing.

SpareIntMount.jpg

SpareMountBolt.jpg

Modifying to accommodate a taller tire would require cutting off the face of the carrier and welding it back on a couple of inches higher. Perhaps boxing it out may give better clearance for a wider tire as well, but I'd be suspicious of increasing the load amount on the door with a changed COG of the spare.

SpareCarrier.jpg

Hope this is helpful.

magoh76

Adventurer
Bought some skinny tires

Update: I've really been dithering back and forth on tire size, but I've found a solution. I bought a set of 4 235/85r16 BFG KO tires off Craigslist that came mounted on some Chevy steel wheels. Bolted right up to the Monty. Paid $130 for the whole shebang. They are about 30% tread life left, but it gives me a chance to try out the skinny tires without a huge $$ commitment. Drove to my out-laws a couple nights ago, a trip that includes 75-mph turnpike, twisty two lane highway, rough blacktop, and "mountain" (as close as we get in NE OK) dirt roads that get graded about once a year. Driveability seems fine, did great on the twisties. Definitely a stiffer ride thanks to the E rating. Only problem I encountered was a shimmy at 70 mph. I'll get them balanced and drive it for a while then decide what new tires I'm purchasing. So far I'm liking the 235s.

Also went and played a little below the Pensacola Dam at Disney, OK yesterday. Here are some pics from there of the tires mounted.

2013-07-28 19.42.10.jpg

Closeup
2013-07-28 19.41.26.jpg

Only shot where you can get an idea of the track
2013-07-28 19.45.52.jpg

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
That's great information. I've been very happy with my 265/75R16s, and I note that your 235/85s are virtually the same diameter (tenth of an inch difference) but are almost 1-1/4 inches narrower. I wonder how much less rolling resistance that amounts to. I favor the skinnies myself...grew up with old Series Land Rovers and the tall, skinny tires look "right" to me. Besides, narrower means that a larger diameter will fit with less likelihood of rubbing at full lock.

I look forward to hearing more about your impressions of these.

cnutco

Adventurer

Isn't that the damn truth!!! I have looked into having one made in the future, but looking at least $3K for the build!!! I think I will wait until I rip the stock bumper off first.
esuqu9yg.jpg
I came close once or twice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
...I think I will wait until I rip the stock bumper off first. I came close once or twice....

No kidding! I've trimmed both front and back bumpers way up to increase clearance and will just live with them until they get munched. I did cut an opening for the hitch in that plastic fascia thingy that you're using for a mud scoop. :sombrero: I've torn it loose several times and now it's just a matter of throwing a couple of new zip ties on when it gets all flappy.

I wanna hear how he's liking those skinnies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998