Favorite Cold Weather Modifications

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Mud Rated Tire chains
Mud Flap hanging in the middle of the front bumper. Keeps deep snow (offroad snow wheelin) from packing under the engine into the belts and fan.
Rain X
4g off windshield fluid in the bed
Detroit locker in the rear
Manual hubs
Everything Mountain Hardwear makes piled up in my back seat.
Bed mounted water balloon launcher. (Snowball howitzer)

Erik N

Adventurer
Living in the Sierra's for 28 years my recommendation for cold weather is to move to Prescott......... but hold on.

LOL even easier...

Just buy a something with a roof and windows, because after that the rest is easy. Nothing wrong with owning more than 1 vehicle.

You're welcome.

Rando

Explorer
After market heated seat elements are cheap and relatively easy to install (particularly if you already use seat covers). They warm up faster than engine derived heat, and heat you through conduction so they are less affected by a vehicle that leaks air like a sieve. Failing that, sheepskin seat covers are also good. A decent avalanche shovel is also a good idea - light and compact (folding) and designed for moving snow quickly.

Jakes01234

Explorer
A garage has been the best investment so far lol no ice, snow, and warmer than outside.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

overlander

Expedition Leader
I have:
-aftermarket heated front seat elements
-Webastor coolant heater (tied in with cabin heater and with timer controller)
-frame mounted battery maintainer (with plug in chord run through to front of grill)
-permanent mount rugged guide radiator muff
-full thermal and sound insulation install throughout cabin and roof
-40Watt solar panels rack mounted with charge controller
-dual deep cycle battery on smart controller

I seriously love my front seats, but I love the webasto too. It's so nice to go when it's freezing out and get that blast of heat when you open the door.

I have to say that the full insulation, the roof in particular, made a huge difference on heat retention. My 110 heater can heat the cabin up to comfortable in less than 10 minutes, then body heat is enough to keep it nice when it's 20-30F out.

I changed my tire size so I need to get new chains. Never need them in Charlotte, but when we got to the mountains during winter it's nice to have them just in case.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have:
-aftermarket heated front seat elements
-Webastor coolant heater (tied in with cabin heater and with timer controller)
-frame mounted battery maintainer (with plug in chord run through to front of grill)
-permanent mount rugged guide radiator muff
-full thermal and sound insulation install throughout cabin and roof
-40Watt solar panels rack mounted with charge controller
-dual deep cycle battery on smart controller

Funny, I live in Minnesota and I don't have any of those things...

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
With isolated dual batteries and an inverter, you can plug a regular block heater into your own truck... "Stealing from Peter to give to Paul"!

Scoutn79

Adventurer
With isolated dual batteries and an inverter, you can plug a regular block heater into your own truck... "Stealing from Peter to give to Paul"!

True but with an 800 watt heater, this is the size in my Scout, yours may be smaller,you are going to be drawing 65+ amps then you have loss through the inverter. So even with 2 starting batteries ( I am not sure that a deep cycle could put out that many amps...maybe so I am not sure since their design is for deep discharge at low draw...anyway I digress) then you have to recharge those batteries SO for 2-3 hours of heating ( 2 decent batteries) you would have to run your engine for 3 or more hours to fully recharge them. Might be worth it if you were driving all day everyday but you would need a timer to start the heater a couple hours before you plan to leave camp.

Something to think on.

Darrell

plumber mike

Adventurer
A full tank of gas to keep it running often seems cheaper than some of these modifications, and some good insulation to keep the heat you just paid to make.

Synthetic oil, a good battery and remote start:coffee:

h4rdflip

Observer
Can't wait to have the Ford Escape leather heated seat installed in my Ford Ranger, if it wasent for the full power driver side it would be done but I had to redo it cause the seat was way too high the first time I put them in.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
A full tank of gas to keep it running often seems cheaper than some of these modifications, and some good insulation to keep the heat you just paid to make.

Synthetic oil, a good battery and remote start:coffee:
This ^^^^^^
Has anyone heard of a solar block heater?
No but solar does not work well up in the north during winter. It may be better at lower latitudes. I would look into the amp draw needed to run a block heater or oil pan heater then think about the solar or wind set up. Remote starts are common up here or just plugging in colder than 20.

I would like to add that a can of lock deicer that you can get to is nice also.

Last edited:

bfdiesel

Explorer
The only thing I do before winter is change back to petro diesel from running biodiesel and run an extension cord out to the driveway. Work has block heater plugs installed in the parking lot so good to go there. As all my diesels came from the factory with a block heater and duel batteries there is not much else to do that shouldn't be done year round. Such as make sure battery terminals are clean, tires are good and all other regular maintenance done regularly. I do not own anything soft topped as I live in northwest colorado, this is what I call planning ahead. I also keep a heavy coat and gloves in all vehicles for when s%$ hits the fan. We can and have had snow storms in July.
Right now I am so thankful I do not live on the East slope in Colorado, that flooding did a lot of damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12