where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

Cole

Expedition Leader

Extremely poorly done maybe! That winch/bumper monstrosity alone killed all approach angle and is more likely to cause problems than fix them. I think with a little real thought they could have gotten a slimline 8k winch with aluminum fairlead and winch rope inside the grill for a hidden, sleek, still light and sporty look, that would have kept at least the stock approach/departure angles.

....and for the fun of it, here is another picture of mine for a ground clearance comparison to that thing.

CA_05111319430989-L.jpg

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Nice Cayenne . Is that lift from the air suspension? I have a stock suspension and an looking for a mild lift.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Just the stock air suspension in terrain mode. Tires are 265/65/18s (32s) Same size the Transsyberia Rally Cayennes ran.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The air suspension was not in my budget. There has to be someway to get a mild life on a stock suspension.

Cole

Expedition Leader
The air suspension was not in my budget. There has to be someway to get a mild life on a stock suspension.

I'm sure you could just use a spring spacer. Should be fine within the range of the air suspension.

Might look at some of the Touareg forums. Pretty sure its been done there.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I was thinking of that. I have not found anything on the VW forums yet. If I had the air suspension this would not be an issue.

CORDSIG79

Observer
There is a large thread with examples of a 2.5 spacer being built and installed and ran on a steel suspension set up on club touareg. I'll go find it.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f44/up-up-and-away-spring-spacers-are-in-52562.html

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Interior mods to my Cayenne

I made some additions to my Cayenne. I added a cargo barrier, a couple of Proclip mounts, Blue Ridge Overland Gear Molle panel.

Attachments

• P1040498.jpg
    P1040498.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 138
  • P1040502.jpg
    P1040502.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 137
  • P1040506.jpg
    P1040506.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 132

Aegis

K9 Handler
Personally, I think this is bloody awesome. I've always wondered what a done-up Cayenne/Touraeg would look like... I almost ended up with a V10 TDI Touraeg as my last car (ended up with an Audi Allroad), and had many a thought about throwing some proper tires on it and seeing what'd happen!

Can't wait for any and all updates :)

jmarkoa

Wow! Some great info and picts here! I've been missing out!

As to the original post, isn't the Cayenne already built as an Expo vehicle? That's how I use mine. In my experience, the only needed expo worthy accessory not included with my truck is the 18" wheels. I have destroyed some perfectly good low profile tires (because this truck was ordered with the 20" techno wheels) on sharp rocks and now its time to get a dedicated off road set.

So,

Has anyone been successful at modifying the body to fit the larger 275/65 18 tires? I understand the 265/65 18 tire rub is minimal enough to not require body mods. And, I have seen at least two rally trucks running the 275/65 18 Cooper STT's with the lower front bumper (including the fog lights) removed. I just purchased a set of the '11 Cayenne S III wheels and one used 275/65 tire to test this setup before pulling the trigger on a complete set. They should be here next week. My goal is to re-work the lower front bumper to keep the original look, but make room for the extra inch of tire diameter. My plan is to remove the front mud flap, cut off about an inch and a half, flex forward the wheel liner, reattach liner and reinstall the mud flap.

Would LOVE to hear from someone who has tried this, even if not successful.

As far as I can tell from all my research, the only spot I need to worry about rubbing is the front lower bumper and liner. However, there is also the upper inside ball joint I worry about. My 275/45 20 tire is so wide that it goes under this bolt by about an inch. I'm hoping the narrower taller tire will then rotate beside it. Maybe they use spacers on those rally trucks??

jmarkoa

Can anyone identify exactly what this is on the front of this Cayenne? Not the push bar, but rather the rubber bumper/protector behind the brush bar. The namibia-experience website states that the truck has a winch, and I believe this rubber thing is part of how it mounts to the vehicle. I'm guessing that license plate hinges upward when the winch is used.

foto12.jpg

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
That looks like the earlier style Cayenne. There were push bars available for those models.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Cayenne build fridge install

In prepping for an extended road trip I wanted to be able take my 15Qt Engle fridge . Since the rear set does not fold flat I had to think of how to keep my fridge level and easy to access.

I build a platform between the rear seat and the console , covered it in carpet and used a couple of small door handles for the tie down points. The fridge sits at the perfect height for the co-pilot to reach in and bring out a cold drink.

The Engle 15 qt fridge is a little small to have drinks and snacks so I found a Dometric CF-25 fridge on E-bay. This fridge fits perfectly next to the Alu- Box. Since the Dometric does not have any tie down points I used a ratchet strap and Buffalo straps to secure the fridge to the cargo cage and then to the factory tie down.

Attachments

• IMG_20131106_131526_527.jpg
    IMG_20131106_131526_527.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20131105_150308_290.jpg
    IMG_20131105_150308_290.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20131105_143313_698.jpg
    IMG_20131105_143313_698.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20131106_135519_661.jpg
    IMG_20131106_135519_661.jpg