The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I've been wondering about you Nathanael. Glad you are enjoying the outdoors. What are you storing on your roof rack?

Thanks. I was enjoying the outdoors, then it was work work work. Now hopefully I can be on a more balanced schedule of work.

I had three to four dry bags on the roof. They had lighter weight items that did not need to be accessed daily. It worked nicely.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
(the best) gate service in the Swell

xcku.jpg

khix.jpg

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Northern Colorado, it was non-stop snow. We stuck around for a while, and I exposed a few plates, before bailing out and heading to Utah.
We had six more months of snow and cold back home to look forward to, no need to get a head start.

dlem.jpg

Super Doody

Explorer
gear piled in the cabover

r2br.jpg

I see you are using ridge rest foam pad underneath the dream time neoair. Is the ridge rest just for the overcab portion or the slid out portion as well? I'm thinking about removing my factory 2'' foam and 1 and 3/4'' pads so I can store the neoair on the overcab portion with the top down.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I see you are using ridge rest foam pad underneath the dream time neoair. Is the ridge rest just for the overcab portion or the slid out portion as well? I'm thinking about removing my factory 2'' foam and 1 and 3/4'' pads so I can store the neoair on the overcab portion with the top down.

Yes, we were using Ridge-Rests in the cabover. Both as insulation and to level-out the transition between the cabover and the bed slide, as my hips hit right at the transition. The Ridge-Rests worked really well, and seem to provide enough extra insulation in the cabover. It did make one more little thing to move and adjust when getting the bed made. By the end of the trip I had zipped them inside the Dreamtimes, and that worked better.

My Dreamtimes are the old style, non-Neoair, as at this point I could not spend the money to upgrade. I would still like to go with the Neoair at some point, maybe I can get one with my REI refund this year.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Good price on Olympian Wave 3

Just noticed that Amazon has the Wave 3 on a good price, $163. Link Seeing how Amazon prices stuff though, I am sure it will be $300 this afternoon.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
hypermiling in the mountains

d63m.jpg

over the trip we averaged 16 mpg. not quite as good as I would hope, not sure why it was a little lower than normal. winter blend fuel? aero from wind fairing or roof rack? trying to go 70 instead of 65? humph.....

Overland Hadley

on a journey
My money would be 70 instead of 65. Is yours an auto or manual?

Auto.

Yes, I am sure that is the main reason. Yesterday I drove 750 highway miles (no camper) and I spent a fair amount of time checking mpg numbers. My Tacoma is most happy below 70, over 65 it starts to work a lot more to maintain speed. (I really enjoy my Scan-guage. When I drive my girls car, I find myself constantly looking up to see what the numbers are, except there are none there.)

Next time I will be more aware to be happy in the 65mph range.

(Here is some interesting mpg testing that was done by drodio at speeds from 55 to 80. LINK Synopsis: 22.9mpg@55 - 14.8mpg@80.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78