JK Dual Battery Tray Isolator Install - Anyone done it?

Houston JK

I installed the MORE dual battery tray that Santa left under the tree and am having an issue mounting an isolator anywhere remotely close to the batteries. I'm using the painless battery isolator since it had such good reviews but I can't seem to find anywhere to mount it and I do not want to run high current cables all over the jeep. Has anyone done this?

dstock

Explorer
I installed the MORE dual battery tray that Santa left under the tree and am having an issue mounting an isolator anywhere remotely close to the batteries. I'm using the painless battery isolator since it had such good reviews but I can't seem to find anywhere to mount it and I do not want to run high current cables all over the jeep. Has anyone done this?

I went with MORE tray and a National Luna isolator but you could probably follow the same method for a location. I just cut down a piece of sheet metal to make a mount.

i-csdXnJN-M.jpg

Houston JK

Do you have any pics of your install? Most other kits seems to have a solid battery strap that would allow me to mount the isolator but it seems like MORE thinks the nylon webbing is enough. It basically throws the only reasonable option (moutning it on top of the batteries) out the window. Here is what I have to work with

IMG_20131228_091707.jpg

dstock

Explorer
Do you have any pics of your install? Most other kits seems to have a solid battery strap that would allow me to mount the isolator but it seems like MORE thinks the nylon webbing is enough. It basically throws the only reasonable option (moutning it on top of the batteries) out the window. Here is what I have to work with

View attachment 204274

My setup is exactly the same, I will take some pics for you to give you a better idea of how I went about it. I mounted the plate off the fender bolt and the old battery tray bolt. No drilling is required. The plate I cut to match the outline of the fender so it is not a perfectly square plate.

Houston JK

Sorry missed the pics. I guess our office network blocks them for some reason. I can probably whip up some sort of mount for the isolator. The painless one is a big box, I'll go mess with it and see what I come up with. Did you have any issues with the OEM battery clamps on the diehards? I had to use a sleeve on them to get the clamps tight.

That genesis battery tray is what I should have done looking back. I was scared by the $500 price tag but that includes the 200A isolator and the boost feature which the painless doesn't support. (yes I know I can still jump myself with cables). Hindsight is 20/20 and I wouldn't have to do all this damn wiring and fab work, plug and play it looks like.

Houston JK

Well I messed with it for an hour or two today and decided the Genesis box will solve my problems and save me the trouble. I got the version with the 200A isolator and the boost so I will update this thread when I get it so I can compare and contrast.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Well I messed with it for an hour or two today and decided the Genesis box will solve my problems and save me the trouble. I got the version with the 200A isolator and the boost so I will update this thread when I get it so I can compare and contrast.

200A is overkill. Unless you have two winches and a ton of power hungry accessories....no not like a fridge...then the normal solenoid is really all you will ever need.

dstock

Explorer
Sorry missed the pics. I guess our office network blocks them for some reason. I can probably whip up some sort of mount for the isolator. The painless one is a big box, I'll go mess with it and see what I come up with. Did you have any issues with the OEM battery clamps on the diehards? I had to use a sleeve on them to get the clamps tight.

Use an appropriate size socket, slightly larger then the battery terminals to seat the clamps down tight. Just put the oem clamps on the posts and then use a socket and a hammer to gently seat the clamps all the way down on the terminals. A couple of gentle taps with the hammer will do it. I also ended up getting the extreme accessory terminals from Quadratec as I found it difficult to hook up much to the oem clamps.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17004_9001.htm

cybercat

Adventurer
This is my setup work great. MORE tray and National Luna Dual bat. The 9$ metal plate was hand crafted using scrap metal from Home Depot. Took about 40 min.

NLuna Dual  bat.JPG

Houston JK

cybercat - doesn't look too bad. I bit the bullet and ordered the Genesis kit. We will see if it is a great as I hope when I try to install it this weekend. (If it warms up any brrrrrrrrr)

Houston JK

I now have the Genesis kit. I must say the quality is top notch. All of the wiring looks well executed and everything seems to fit. Looks to be standard black powdercoat and I see no manufacturing issues so far. Pics to come in the morning. This battery tray will require even more cutting than the MORE kit, it looks like to fuse block is moved from the OEM plastic cradle to a portion of the Genesis box that has the tabs built in. I better look over the install info before I get too excited and cut something I shouldn't. So far so good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78