Colonal's +Adventure Prescription+ | A Toyota 4Runner 5th Gen Story

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Hey guys, new to this thread but though I would provide some input.

I just bought a Icon Stage 2 set up for my 13 SR5 T4R. i went with this kit for price and it is a good base set up. I did go with Total Chaos UCA's rather then the Icon Billet or Tubular party due to availability on the Tubular and the Total Chaos is cheaper not by much but every little bit helps right!

I ordered my set up from Metal Tech and the price was just over 2K, it was a lot but in the end I think I will be satisfied once I get it on the rig. The front already has 2.5 with non Res so I can add a winch in the future and skids no problem. The back I went with the 2.0 VS that it comes with on the shocks to keep the price down I may upgrade if needed to a 2.5 Res in far future depending on where my adventures go and the need because I understand it they do provide more adjustments for the ride but not needed for your average DD with stock rear bumper.

I was like you and looked at all the options but in the end I went with Icon based on some recommendations from other T4R owners and there proven reliability with the T4R crowd.

I say do your research and buy with in your means but it is better to buy once then start at the bottom and move up when others have done this for you already!

Lessons learned by others!

Good luck

Very true. Can you post up your thoughts and impressions of the Icon setup after you get it installed. Looking forward to what you think.

Thanks

Colonal Angus

Adventurer

Thanks for the heads up, J! I know SS is pretty popular with the 3rd gen crowd but you really don't hear of too many 4th or 5th gen guys running his kit. Not really sure why. When I had a 3rd gen I wanted nothing but that lift but couldn't afford it at the time. I priced it out and it came to around $2k. Maybe 5th gen guys don't see the value of having Bilstiens when they can just get the Icon kit for the same amount?? Although, that SS kit includes everything you would need in a suspension upgrade...it is comprehensive.

HHIRunner

Observer
Personally I had never even heard of that kit. Which could explain why 4th and 5th gen guys don't run it. And Metaltech has comprehensive icon kits

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i think I've decided to go with the OME kit with UCA's. i can't justify the added 'benefit' (read: cost) of the ICON with what i intend to accomplish at this stage of my rig

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Really?? You were so convincing! I have to admit...I re-read Equipt's build today because the cost of the Icon kit was double what I had budgeted originally. I wanted to read Paul Mays reasoning behind choosing OME over the other options. Paul mentions the OME kit is tried and true and has a long history of success on multiple platforms. The Icons (or any other premium brand coilover) are rebuildable and revalvable for a reason and if they need maintenance out in the middle of nowhere...you might be screwed. I forgot to read up on that build until SDiver mentioned it. The Icon kit isn't completely out of the question for me but I am going to keep reading up on the different suspensions that are available.

Jake, I saw the pre-sorted kits but the kit doesn't save any money versus buying your choice of items a la carte. Thanks for the heads up though.

Last edited:

4runnerteq

Explorer
It would be hard to go wrong with the OME set up. Ive done a few FJs and Tacos here at the dealer. Thats the only kit I will put on. Partly because in honesty I dont have experience with anything else, other than the S.S I have on my runner, but also because its just simple, gives a good ride, and we get good support from them. And sometimes I think for what I use my rig for, I probably wouldnt be able to tell a lot of differnence if I had gone with OME instead. Thats what I had on my previous 2nd gen runner and it was great. BTW, wife says to me last Saturday while Im figuring out how to get out of a rut I slid off into at LBL. "Before we go camping again I want us to get a Kodiak tent" I said "well, if you insist"

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
..... BTW, wife says to me last Saturday while Im figuring out how to get out of a rut I slid off into at LBL. "Before we go camping again I want us to get a Kodiak tent" I said "well, if you insist"

Lol...that's works out perfectly, you get a great new tent and it was "her idea". Can't argue with that :) I'm still really enjoying the Kodiak. It's been a fantastic tent. I've been looking at RTTs lately because the quick setup/breakdown time for "on the move" style camping but we'll see. Any plans to make it back down south?

I would go with the Icon versus the mix of base level Fox.

I see adjustability being one of the major advantages to the Icon setup. Have you found it to be helpful? I plan to run a bull bar and winch in the future but not for a while. With the Icon set up, can I expect the ride to be the same with the added weight even after cranking the coilover back up to its pre-bumper height?

joneseyyy

Explorer
I see adjustability being one of the major advantages to the Icon setup. Have you found it to be helpful? I plan to run a bull bar and winch in the future but not for a while. With the Icon set up, can I expect the ride to be the same with the added weight even after cranking the coilover back up to its pre-bumper height?

I can only speak to my experience. After I added a winch, bumper, skids, and dual battery to my 4-runner, I had to run quite a bit of preload on my Icons to maintain ride height and found myself hitting bumps too often offroad. I sent the Icons back in to be revalved stiffer and swapped the regular 650lb coils for 700lb coils. There's adjustability - but only so much and you really need to optimize spring rate and damping for the weight you run.

www.dirtroadtrip.com is all about scratching the itch for off-road adventure one weekend, one vacation at a time.

ebg18t

Adventurer

My Fox's are valved much different than when I first bought them. I do find the adjustment handy as I change it depending on the load I am carrying and where we are. For daily driving I have it soft, when we are on a trip with a load of gear I increase it.

I would really suggest speaking with DownSouth Motorsports (DSM). They offer specialty valving and know Fox & Icon quite well. I know they have revalved a ton of shocks prior to shipping to get them spot on for customers. I run 650# springs right now. If I upgrade to a steel bumper I may bump up to a 700# spring. With the right valving a 700# spring given the weight increases will ride quite well.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Lol...that's works out perfectly, you get a great new tent and it was "her idea". Can't argue with that :) I'm still really enjoying the Kodiak. It's been a fantastic tent. I've been looking at RTTs lately because the quick setup/breakdown time for "on the move" style camping but we'll see. Any plans to make it back down south?

Heck yes. I kinda consider Ky downsouth. Although it is as far north as I ever want to go. Looking forward hopefully to another Elk Watch that actually happens. Will be back to the smokies before then as wll I hope.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I disagree, I think the state is pretty heavily divided. The north central (Louisville) and northern ky (Newport/cincinatti)areas are deffinately Midwest

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
cruiserbent is one of two Kentuckians that I've met and they both seemed pretty dang southern...that and the CSA's recognition are all I have to base my consideration :victory:

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
KY was a neutral state in the civil war. I'm personally from Michigan, i just live here ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger