Colonal's +Adventure Prescription+ | A Toyota 4Runner 5th Gen Story

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I can only speak to my experience. After I added a winch, bumper, skids, and dual battery to my 4-runner, I had to run quite a bit of preload on my Icons to maintain ride height and found myself hitting bumps too often offroad. I sent the Icons back in to be revalved stiffer and swapped the regular 650lb coils for 700lb coils. There's adjustability - but only so much and you really need to optimize spring rate and damping for the weight you run.

www.dirtroadtrip.com is all about scratching the itch for off-road adventure one weekend, one vacation at a time.

This is what I was afraid of. It was easier to justify the cost when I thought the adjustability would allow me to run the setup with no bumper/winch, drawers, sliders, skids but then adjust the coilovers as I needed to. But it looks like I'd still have to pull them off send them in for service. I'm leaning toward the OME setup just for simplicity but don't think that I don't appreciate everyone's help. Thanks to all that chimed in.

My Fox's are valved much different than when I first bought them. I do find the adjustment handy as I change it depending on the load I am carrying and where we are. For daily driving I have it soft, when we are on a trip with a load of gear I increase it.

I would really suggest speaking with DownSouth Motorsports (DSM). They offer specialty valving and know Fox & Icon quite well. I know they have revalved a ton of shocks prior to shipping to get them spot on for customers. I run 650# springs right now. If I upgrade to a steel bumper I may bump up to a 700# spring. With the right valving a 700# spring given the weight increases will ride quite well.

I'll give them a call. You don't have to get an alignment each time you adjust the coilover for trips?

Also, looking at this damn CVT group buy. I need a quick camp set up solution.

Y'all realize our overland obsession is a sickness, right?

HHIRunner

Observer
I'll give them a call. You don't have to get an alignment each time you adjust the coilover for trips?

Also, looking at this damn CVT group buy. I need a quick camp set up solution.

Y'all realize our overland obsession is a sickness, right?

His adjustments for trips aren't actually adjusting the height. So he isn't cranking on the Coilover collar but instead there is a nob on the I assume remote resi that adjusts pressure.

And yes it is a sickness. I want to get in the CVT gb, but that would mean I would want to buy a new stronger roof rack to mount it on. The one thing would lead to another and I'd be thousands of dollars in the hole but have a sick truck.

CYK

Adventurer
Go with the vendor that gives you the best post purchase service. Too many folks overlook this and lose themselves splitting hairs over feature lists on commodity products.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
found something that might interest you - the reason why the ARB extents so far out is the crush tube. the shrockworks bumper removes it on the install

94616d1375464853-intruders-build-off-road-pics-thread-image-2.png

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Interesting...I'm sure it's been discussed many times over about safety issues by removing the crumple tube vs having it. I'm still a little ways out from a bumper, unfortunately. I still think suspension should be next order of business, then sliders.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
I'm not sure if you're settled on your lift but in case you're still looking TJM released a 2" lift (both standard & hd for weight). I haven't heard of anyone running one yet.

Also - thank you for the Rubi tire heads up. My gf just lifted her JKR and put on new tires. I snagged her take offs. They look good on the 4R.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I'm not sure if you're settled on your lift but in case you're still looking TJM released a 2" lift (both standard & hd for weight). I haven't heard of anyone running one yet.

Also - thank you for the Rubi tire heads up. My gf just lifted her JKR and put on new tires. I snagged her take offs. They look good on the 4R.

That's great news! I'll look into it a little bit more. TJMs website doesn't share too much info about the kit. I just read up on the T4R thread discussing it. I didn't realize TJM even had this kit available until you said something...Thanks! I may end up being the guinea pig on this kit.

Keep those MTs rotated. Mine started chunking a little bit because I skipped a rotation.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Yeah I posted the info they emailed me on T4R. Sounds promising but I guess you never know until you get firsthand reports.

True that on MTs. I ran a couple sets of 35" KM2s on the JKUR & learned quickly to not skip a rotation. The payoff is pretty sweet though- they work quite well in the mud/roots/rocks here in the Northeast.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
OCALA NATIONAL FOREST ADVENTURE

Finally, was able to break away from the daily grind and get out and explore this weekend. Took my two partners in crime and had an absolute blast!!! :victory:

I threw together a little trip to the Ocala National Forest. Beautiful land with tons of trail, ranging from mild to wild (by wild, I mean water puddles that nearly consume your entire vehicle :Wow1:).

I was open to suggestions for this trip and visited a few locations that others recommended. We didn't have a set schedule and made for an easy going trip. With kids, stress relief is paramount.

Day 1.
Mosquitos and deer ticks very abundant. Weather was nice...partly cloudy, 77° and dry. Dirt roads primarily from Palatka. A few pinstripes, very little mud and zero traffic.

After running so many miles of trails we, set out to find a suitable place to camp. We were close to Lake Eaton so we make a quick pass through the campground there. I wasn't feeling this place at all. Place was crowded, not very secluded and was just not happening. We left the campground area, took a jeep trail and found a big enough cut out to put up the tent. Secluded, private and best of all kids could be as loud and ubnoxious as they wanted to be. Only downside, place was crawling with ticks. Coca Cola's, gummi lifesavers for the kids' dinner and sprinkle cookies from Publix for dessert (mom would flip!!). We never drink coke anymore. Publix sub chased with popcorn chicken and Intuition I10 IPAs. Off to bed...kids...ticks and all.

Untitled by crr1116, on Flickr

Day 2.
First, we broke camp and headed out to Lake Eaton. Kids burned off some energy. There's a huge sinkhole near the lake. Forest Service built a staircase that led to the bottom of the 80' hole. It was pretty cool. Kids burned off more energy hiking the mile long Sinkhole Trail on top of descending and ascending the 121 stairs.

Lake Eaton...

Goofy kids....

Sinkhole...

From there, we pushed the 4runner through "jeep" trails. I'd compare these trails to singletrack before I'd call it a jeep trail. With no place to turn around and the worst behind us....we pushed through the 3-4' wide trails. Kids laughed hysterically the entire time so it kinda justifies the epic pinstriping. After all, that's the whole reason I bought this vehicle....for their enjoyment. :smiley_drive:
So, we found this killer trail off FR33 (towards Juniper Springs). The trai had weathered tire tracks and no signs were posted so we took it....

The trail was pretty long with some decent washouts and hills. We came up to closed gate (dummy locked - thank God)....right ********** dab in the middle of Juniper Springs recreation area.
Really beautiful spring...so, we explored the area and took a dip in the spring.

Came across this alligator turtle....(shell was slightly larger than a passenger car tire)

We left Juniper Springs and trailblazed our way north to Hopkins Prairie. The pictures don't do it justice. Hopkins Prairie is a primitive campground with zero amentities. Very secluded and very private. No monster trucks....only an overland style Cherokees and a Subaru. It was perfect.

View from campsite...

Camp Cookies (place roasted marshmallows in between two [instert type of cookie on hand] cookies)

I'd like to give a shout out to the good folks at DeLorme. I purchased a FLORIDA DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer before my trip...unbelievably accurate. Far greater than my greatest expectations. I will be purchasing more.

Day 3.
Load up, head home to mama :coffeedrink:

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Thanks guys. We had a great time. I'm so lucky to have two kids that share my passion. They're still at the age where they think dad is the COOLEST! It makes for such an enjoyable time. Helps justify the mods to mom, too.

I think the next trip may be Uwharrie or Cape Lookout, NC. We'll see.

Still trying to figure out my suspension. A lift is in order but there just so many decisions to make. Doesn't help that I'm probably the most indecisive person ever with a terrible history of buyers remorse. No regrets so far with this Trail Edition though.

Stay tuned for our next adventure....

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Looks like a fun place to do some exploring! I cant wait to post cool trip reports in my TE.

Before you ask..... I'm counting down the days!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman