AT IT AGAIN: Paul and Mike Convert a Mid/Tall T1N Sprinter Cargo

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
I saw the mounts you made for the Engel feet in a post earlier in the thread, but I have been wondering if that is all that holds the fridge in place.

[SUB][/SUB]You painted the Engel didn't you? It looks great.

I've driven this Sprinter around town a few times and the fridge feels built in..It should be fine for all but the most extreme roads and trails this van is capable of...

The paint on the fridge is from the factory...Interesting how the colors did work out...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder

P1060822.JPG

(above) Wanting to have the drain system be as sanitary as conditions allow, I built a custom, tight-space, P-trap...

P1060823.JPG

(above) Masking tape it on the outside...

P1060824.JPG

(above) Two pour-in and drain coats of epoxy on the inside...

P1060826.JPG

(above) Pull tape and it's solid, but needs reinforcing...

P1060827.JPG

(above) Four layers of fiberglass and epoxy, rasped and sanded...

P1060828.JPG

(above) A remote on/off switch for the water pump...

P1060834.JPG

(above) Aluminum carpet edging...

P1060835.JPG

(above) Ten degree miter cuts...

P1060836.JPG

(above) Vertical mini-blinds...Custom cut for height...

P1060837.JPG

(above) Testing the rope lighting...

P1060839.JPG

(above) And, a Pico chair in back, with inches to spare....!!!...Yesss...!!!...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Yep Paul let it drain on the ground! Use the proper soap and you have no worries.
Don't encourage Paul. He and I have been arguing about this for years. ;)

There are lots of people like Paul who see no problem with the grey water on the ground or, at best, into an open bucket. But remember that we're not talking primitive camping here. They'll be dishes to wash and food and grease will get into the waste flow. I worry about the smell that you get and the flies that will accumulate. Given that there are thousands of posts on RV forums about stinky grey water, I suspect my concerns are justified. (We'll see; with its current interior vent, I'll have plenty of motivation to keep the grey tank clean and fresh.)

I also find it semi-gross to pull into a campsite that has a big puddle of waste water from the previous campers. I'm not righteous about this, and if people used common sense, there might not be issues. But clearly not everyone did, so the majority of campgrounds prohibit dumping grey water on the ground. And many states have a law against it. In Oregon, for example, it's illegal for an RV to discharge any waste water (gray or black) on the roadway, in a state park, county park or city park or beaches. Given that I'll be in these places a lot, the whole issue is sort of moot and we will be using the tank.

ober27

Adventurer
I love that close quarters P-trap. I really enjoy this thread, It's fun seeing what can be done with plenty of imagination and skill.
Keep posting, I consider this my daily inspiration and ongoing education.

carbon60

Explorer
Having camped in hot, fly-prone, weather for a week last season: smelly stuff management is really important! By day 5, we were overrun with them to the point that we considered moving. This was from normal crumbs, garbage bag, dumping a little soup a little too close to camp, etc.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder

P1060853.JPG

(above) Custom P-trap installed...

P1060852.JPG

(above) At the top of the tank the new vent that draws air from outside of the vehicle, is installed...This, along with the P-trap will keep the interior free from any waste water tank odors...I aim to please...

P1060854.JPG

(above) I finally got around to finishing up the inverter/breakers/junction box work...Whew, what a job...

P1060855.JPG

(above) Cover panels in place and labels on...

P1060857.JPG

(above) Finished...At least here...For now...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
It's done...

Everyone who has seen it loves it...

No new pictures today, I'll post up next when I deliver it to Mike next Friday...

Me and my wife are going camping in our van for a few days up in the southern Olympics...

When I get back, and after delivering the van to Mike, I'll be at Sprinterfest NW on Saturday the 12th...Stop by and say "Hi" if you can...

GR8ADV

Explorer
Hi Mike/Paul.

Ok, this may be an odd question but as this is sprinter #2 for you Mike, and many for Paul it seems, I was just wondering if either of you have ever considered not using the side sliding door of the sprinter for access and relying on the rear only for access?

As windows allow for great visual room, they come at a cost of storage. It appears to me that the sliding door also comes at a cost of useable space. If one were only to rely on the rear for entry, it appears that the useable interior space could be significantly increased. Of course I could just be off my meds...

Have you ever considered this, or seen a version of this in practice?

Thanks. Ken

edit. I have actually thought of having the stovetop/sink/fridge against the door on the inside, with it hinged such that if you opened the door you could swing it away outside to have your entire kitchen outside if you wanted.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears