More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

grimbo

Explorer
HAHA! What a cop out! My insurance company, what do they have to do with the law? I can legally smash my rig with a sledge hammer but it won't be covered for insurance.

I know, you couldn't find one, could you?

When you hit someone else and civil charges get laid then they have to do with the law

Douglas S.

Adventurer
ok, tell all the guys I know that use the wrangler for overlanding that. they will all sell them for Toyotas....And as I said before there are many more crusiers, 4 runners and qx's(patrols) being sold as soccer mom cars instead of wheeling them than co ed's driving jeeps too. Its all realitive. I know that my friends, and I, as well as LOTS of people that I talk to regularly Go overland style in our wranglers....very regularly...

You are embarrassing yourself. It's annoying. Please stop posting.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
There was a time when I would defend my Jeep in threads like this, in comparisons to Land Cruisers, etc.

That has changed.

A few years ago I was starting to get tired of using my Jeep as a daily driver so after a little research I bought my HDJ81. Only time I've driven my Jeep since then was to put it in storage. For an "expedition" or off road travel vehicle the Land Cruiser is superior in absolutely every way. Fuel economy, build quality, comfort, reliability, payload...Jeep doesn't even come close. Living in Canada I have access to all manner of diesel Land Cruisers which just makes the comparison even worse.

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
HAHA! What a cop out! My insurance company, what do they have to do with the law? I can legally smash my rig with a sledge hammer but it won't be covered for insurance.

I know, you couldn't find one, could you?

K2ZJ, you are above any logic and no laws pertains to you, I cant argue that.

Now back on topic - How are you jeep guys going to fit all that new lawn furniture in your JKU, roof rack?

independent

Observer

K2ZJ, you are above any logic and no laws pertains to you, I cant argue that.

Now back on topic - How are you jeep guys going to fit all that new lawn furniture in your JKU, roof rack?

Actually I drive a 68 Bronco which I sometimes pull Adventure Trailers Chaser number 3 with which I rebuilt after having been rolled by the previous owner. I've had in the past a 63 Willys truck that was great fun. I also owned a 82 FJ 40, a 73 Volkswagen Thing and a VW Manx Dune Buggy. I recently purchased a JKUR which I also enjoy. Assorted MGs and Porches have also passed my way. In the future I may very well purchase a Land Cruiser or some other platform with which to explore in. I think an open mind and an acceptance of others positive points of view is a great help in deciding what is best for your particular needs. It's about getting out and having fun ( which I've also done in my wife's Honda Pilot by the way) and not worrying about what other people think of your ride. I find this thread both amusing and troubling in that supposedly like minding people can react to each other this way. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and support each other in their adventures and not quibble about the wheels that take them there. Man, I do have a Front Runner rack on the Bronco, I bet I could get two lounge chairs up there! :)

Idahoan

Adventurer
Yes I realise you live in Canada but the OP and the reason for this thread was US based reasoning.

Your observation maybe true from your perspective but when you are outside if North America it doesn't hold up to the facts

Could you explain yourself thunder down under?

grimbo

Explorer
Just saying just because a group of wheelers in Newfoundland are driving Jeeps it doesn't mean that is indicative of what is happening in the rest of the world.

Idahoan

Adventurer
Ok. It is indicative in a Jeep thread. Comments like US based reasoning you might want to pull back on. Thanks.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Your lawyer and insurance company will tell you differently.....

Enough with scare tactics, provide solid proof, as in an actual court case where a private vehicle, over the manufacturer's GVW, crashed and the owner had insurance denied and everything taken away.

Show me a case and I'll stand corrected. Until then, it's all internet hearsay...

As both an engineer and someone who's hauled commercially, I can't think of a single agency that enforces OEM "payload" and "tow rating". Only axle and tire ratings are looked at as far as DOT is concerned.

RoyJ

Adventurer
There was a time when I would defend my Jeep in threads like this, in comparisons to Land Cruisers, etc.

That has changed.

A few years ago I was starting to get tired of using my Jeep as a daily driver so after a little research I bought my HDJ81. Only time I've driven my Jeep since then was to put it in storage. For an "expedition" or off road travel vehicle the Land Cruiser is superior in absolutely every way. Fuel economy, build quality, comfort, reliability, payload...Jeep doesn't even come close. Living in Canada I have access to all manner of diesel Land Cruisers which just makes the comparison even worse.

If you're talking about international overlanding, then I mostly agree.

However, for domestic overland travel, it's reversed. I challenge you to find ANY part for either a JDM diesel 80, or North American 80/100/200 in the middle of a northern BC town. Say, Fort St. John.

With an F250 or Ram, you can find parts anywhere.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Please note the moose test are not done by any us safety boards, its not a US based test. I dont think that the lawyers etc have much to do with it. Its probably based on how the different safety agencies calculate them

Didn't mean to imply the moose test was US based, apologies for the confusion.

When I say lawyers, I don't mean them directly, rather, by heavily influencing the safety agencies. Laws of physics is the same anywhere on earth, no reason why the same SUV is rated to tow 30% less over here. In fact, with our selection of safety hitches like the Hensley Arrow, we should be able to tow more.

grimbo

Explorer
Enough with scare tactics, provide solid proof, as in an actual court case where a private vehicle, over the manufacturer's GVW, crashed and the owner had insurance denied and everything taken away.

Show me a case and I'll stand corrected. Until then, it's all internet hearsay...

As both an engineer and someone who's hauled commercially, I can't think of a single agency that enforces OEM "payload" and "tow rating". Only axle and tire ratings are looked at as far as DOT is concerned.

Quite a few cases here in Australia. Once again the topic was about worldwide over landing and travelling internationally for long distances over gvm will be an issue

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
yes, but the litigation system in the US is so out of control that any business is afraid to move. I am betting that is part of the reason for lower tow ratings. Its the only logical reason. Physics are the same everywhere, and having the 30 % bigger tow rating on the other side of the pond for the same vehicle makes you question why. That is the only logical reason. Physics, Hitches, tires, vehicles are the same.

marktutone

Adventurer
I agree with everything you just wrote. My only pause to get one would be SOOO many people here have upgraded ones but they NEVER see dirt. I like to be a little different thats why I went pathfinder not xterra. Hard to beat a accessory catalog 1000 pages long though...

Ya many people have very accessorized jeeps these days. There is something to be said about state of mind. Something about driving a jeep puts you in a different state of mind. Everyday I go to work in my jeep I am on a mini overland expedition. About being different I am with you. In the 80's I was a punker with a jacket the read USMC uncle sams misguided children. I also owned a Pathfinder. I put a 3” lift on on it and a beefed up front end. That Pathfinder took me everywhere. It was a dog when it came to speed but I think so far it was the best vehicle that I have owned. It only left me stranded once when I broke the IFS on the trail. I bought the Calmini upgrade A arms and I couldn’t break those. It was always in the back of my head that I should have a solid front axle. I ended up buying a jeep. When I first bought the jeep and I was driving it around I thought I just made an expensive mistake. But after a couple of weeks driving it and after the first trail I became an instant fan and understood all the hype about jeep.

aluke0510

Adventurer
But - but - Mama always said.

Meh

die die die thread

It has turned into a head bashing of strong willed with opposite views. It's like we are politicians.

Drive enough trucks around the world and find what you like and are comfortable with. Just remember what you fall in love with is probably something you can't have. (I can't tell you how many australians that come over here that fall in love with the Ram 2500 cummins diesel quad cab and would hand over a brand new LC 70's in trade tomorrow if they could; but they can't have it just like we can't have theirs) Everything has some kinda compromise and it depends on your use what you choose.

I know nothing about russian vehicles or have never driven a g-wagon yet so I don't comment on them. From the spec sheet of a g wagon some of them look great. Unless you are willing to be an open mind then you won't see what other people talk about. Brand loyalty is the worst thing when identifying the top vehicles for a certain purpose. I can be a Ford fan but does it mean that the mustang is the best sportscar made in the world? Open up and you will see more. But maybe your priorities are affordable, domestically available, and you love the looks. Well then it might be the best for you.

But anyways I forgot where I hid my hair brush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179