VANdiana Jones sequel: The Legacy Continues

dcguillory

Adventurer
One at the secret slot canyons near Cottonwood Canyon Rd UT;
Attachment 254531

And one teaser pic of it in action on the infamous White Rim Trail in Canyonlands--Brad, a trail you need to do at least once, was epic! (I'm holding off on posting other trip pics as I'm currently working on something special with them);
Attachment 254530

Cant see these attachments

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Those are some good looking rigs! Love the body color fuel door too.

Thx Chris!
Your 4x4 conversion is so compliant, terrific articulation. Was fun to watch my GF drive VANdiana and watch the UJOR setup do it's thang.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Jeez. What a great build. Makes me miss my SMB. Keep it up.
Thanks much!

One at the secret slot canyons near Cottonwood Canyon Rd UT;
Attachment 254531

And one teaser pic of it in action on the infamous White Rim Trail in Canyonlands--Brad, a trail you need to do at least once, was epic! (I'm holding off on posting other trip pics as I'm currently working on something special with them);
Attachment 254530

Cant see these attachments
Dunno why they stopped working, fixed now.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
...or it didn't happen right? ;)

View attachment 254572

Again, VANdiana did spectacular and treated us well. Of course we treated him very well too--spent a full day cleaning him all up after returning to PDX. Very blessed to have taken him(maybe it's the other way around?) on this Mighty5 adventure.

Looks awesome out there! Thx for the teaser shots. I've been to Moab 4 times now, but I don't recall doing the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands. I'll add it to the bucket list. What was the weather like in late October?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Doesn't work either???

and since i'm not really into the terminology, what does "SMB" mean?

Jeez, dunno what's going on with the attachments. They work at first, then hours later they don't. Will remedy tonight.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Looks awesome out there! Thx for the teaser shots. I've been to Moab 4 times now, but I don't recall doing the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands. I'll add it to the bucket list. What was the weather like in late October?

Oh it was, just incredible. Lots of different emotions. Probably the hairiest moment(since I had 3 women in the van; GF and our mom's) was leaving Murphy Hogback B campground in the am...got to Murphy Hogback C I think it was, trail seemed to end at the campsite. Hmmm. Got out, looked around, then saw it!!; the trail had disappeared as it basically went down the cliffside with a steep drop on the right side, cliff wall on left side, barely wide enough for VANdiana. It was probably 12-14% grade, larger rocks embedded in the trail. GF spotted me, 4Lo, 1st gear, brake pedal to the floor and brakes were still groaning trying to keep the 9500lbs from carrying too much speed(biggest thing he needs is boosted brakes, and larger brakes, for moments like this). I'll always remember that moment. But we prevailed and gained even more experience/confidence all around.

WRT isn't too far from Moab so fill up with fuel in Moab and head to Island in the Sky/Shafer Trail entrance(epic!). Plan for 2 days thru WRT--make sure to secure a backcountry camping permit for one of the camp sites.
We were very blessed with the weather; sunny and 50s-70s for 2wks! Started raining when headed north thru Lassen Volcanic Park in Cali.
http://expeditionportal.com/destinations-white-rim-trail/

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Probably the hairiest moment(since I had 3 women in the van; GF and our mom's) was leaving Murphy Hogback B campground in the am...got to Murphy Hogback C I think it was, trail seemed to end at the campsite. Hmmm. Got out, looked around, then saw it!!; the trail had disappeared as it basically went down the cliffside with a steep drop on the right side, cliff wall on left side, barely wide enough for VANdiana.

And here, I'm pretty sure, is Vandiana poised in contemplation of the edge of the above-mentioned drop.

ER camera 11-4-14 018--small.jpg

Not the most useful picture, since the trail is invisible off to the left (though you can tell there was a good-sized elevation change in not much distance). Unfortunately, throughout the trip, when exciting stuff was happening, I was pretty much required to look where I was going as opposed to photographing the big white van full of my travel companions.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Ok, let's try this again...One more teaser pic from the WRT(GF driving at the time, she loved it and did awesome...she's a motorhead too);
DSC_9500-mod.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
And here, I'm pretty sure, is Vandiana poised in contemplation of the edge of the above-mentioned drop.

View attachment 254699

Not the most useful picture, since the trail is invisible off to the left (though you can tell there was a good-sized elevation change in not much distance). Unfortunately, throughout the trip, when exciting stuff was happening, I was pretty much required to look where I was going as opposed to photographing the big white van full of my travel companions.

Damn fine picture skills there sir.
I think the big drop was just before this...I believe this pic shows us coming around to the right and then down towards the valley.
We appreciate you requiring yourself to piloting your own rig safely(sans spotter--lesson learned for next time) vs clicking the shutter. At the drop, I was foot to the floor, GF spotting in front of van, I think both mom's had their eyes closed...so no one got pics of it, although pics wouldn't do it justice. Definitely have to experience it first-hand in a big/heavy rig with undersized brakes.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
At the drop, I was foot to the floor, GF spotting in front of van, I think both mom's had their eyes closed...so no one got pics of it, although pics wouldn't do it justice. Definitely have to experience it first-hand in a big/heavy rig with undersized brakes.
One of the most interesting things I learned going down that grade in the XV-JP (5.13 gears and 33s) was that if I was in first gear in 4WD Lo, the truck wouldn't go but about 3 mph downhill. I'd not been down many of these low speed, really steep descents before, and was really surprised that I virtually never used the brakes. That really helped my bravery, along with the fact that Vandiana always went first, and given it was three times as wide and four times as long (looked that way, anyway), if they didn't fall off the edge or whack the rocks, I knew I wouldn't.

R Thomas

Observer
Having him in front of most vehicles would provide some confidence. It helps to know that he has some experience in the same conditions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78