Monteros on craigslist

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
Hey TNMontero,
You called me out on the price. Now I'm going to call you out. I find out interesting how I disclosed all of the things I would want to know about if I was making a purchasing decision, but you spun it all in a very negative way.

In a sales situation, I've noticed people tend to do that kind of thing when attempting to maneuver for "favorable" negotiations.

No one said anything about a broken sunroof motor. No one said anything about bearings "going out". Why would you assume it was in a wreck? That makes no sense.

I clearly left some room in there for negotiations based on the good, the bad, and the ugly. If there are anymore questions please feel free. I'll answer them here.

It wasn't meant as an attack. But in the real world I've learned if someone says, "it's going bad", it probably already is. I don't trust anyone until they have earned my trust. So forgive me, but anything you say comes with a grain of salt.

So when you say the "sunroof motor works, but won't open". That means to me that something is broken. Great, it isn't, I'm glad it was an easy fix as sunroofs are a pain. But my initial opinion would be for any car that the sunroof will need maintenance.

The Radiator, you stated and re-stated the radiator has leaks. While I appreciate the full disclosure, a pin-hole leak to me is the same as a bullet hole leak. I've seen to many radiators fail because people try to use the radiator sealing fluid. Normally when a rad leaks, it's going out, or got bonked really hard (tying into the next comments). So when I see a rad leaking, I know right there I've a radiator to replace. I may be able to band-aid it for a few months, but a leak is a leak. And unless I can pull it out, braze it back up (which if it's in the fins I can't), it's a gonner.

The rear bearings. You state " Rear brakes and wheel bearings need to be done." It's very rare that I meet someone who knows what they are doing enough to recommend rear bearings unless they are aware of a problem. I'll take it on a leap of faith (see, some trust) that you do know what you are doing and you were being a good seller by advocating everything. You sir are a rarity, a diamond in the rough. 99% of most sellers are either not competent enough to know, or are aware of a problem and they are trying to lightly call it out so when someone comes to see it, they can diffuse a potential problem with "oh it just needs new bearings". Or even the simple fact that they heard some noises, and know they are in need of replacement. Either way, someone says it needs rear bearings, that means "the bearings are going out".

And finally, the motor. Yes I called it was a rebuilt motor, and as you stated, that is accurate. And as my point I made, I don't know you from Adam. The engines in these things are proven to last a long time, so for one to go completely out puzzled me. That thought, coupled with a leaking radiator makes me automatically think, wreck. Thus why I asked.

I have no "maneuvering" to go on here. From the looks of that SR and from the info you provided me, I would love to buy your Montero. Yes the price is too high, in my opinion. But the real reason I can't is you are across the continent, and I have no plans to be in Oregon any time soon. So I have no agenda. My questioning was to ask just that, questions. My apologies for making you feel that it was a personal attack.

Last edited:

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Thanks for the reply TNMonteto. You actually did make my day. No apologies are necessary, I didn't feel personally attacked.

You know, going back and reading my reply, I had intended to be completely factual but it had a strange tone and I could understand how it left that impression. It's a great truck. It needs a good owner. I know I can find one on this forum.

Last edited:

DSouth

Observer
Yeah - he is either a bad salesman or something is up with the car. I got his address and asked to meet at the Mitsu dealer right next door to him (literally next to his apartment building) and he won't do it. Carfax shows it has an accident on record as well. It looks good online but I guess the search will continue. Hopefully deals keep popping up. I'm ready to get a gen 2.5!

Interesting. I hadn't gone for the carfax yet, so the accident on record is good to know about. For what it is worth there are a couple of other 2.5's on the market in SoCal. I talked to this guy and he was quite nice and responsive. Didn't seem to know a ton about the car features-wise though. I was curious if it was the SR model with locker as the pics didn't indicate one way or another to me.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/4755850617.html

There's another one in Fullerton which is a non/locker version:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4748080778.html

I haven't even bothered calling the guy in Irvine asking 6500 :Wow1:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4730897867.html

To his credit he has come down 1k since he first listed it at 7500.

Last edited:

TheMole

Adventurer
Interesting. I hadn't gone for the carfax yet, so the accident on record is good to know about. For what it is worth there are a couple of other 2.5's on the market in SoCal. I talked to this guy and he was quite nice and responsive. Didn't seem to know a ton about the car features-wise though. I was curious if it was the SR model with locker as the pics didn't indicate one way or another to me.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/4755850617.html

There's another one in Fullerton which is a non/locker version:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4748080778.html

They dropped the "SR" model in 98, but instead had a winter package which had a locker. Looks like the burgundy one has leather and headlight squirters so it should have the winter package.

ultrakill

Adventurer
1991 LWB Mitsubishi Montero 4x4 - $2000 (Fresno)

00s0s_14pC0Lu8xrW_600x450.jpg

00k0k_1ql4Celbv5v_600x450.jpg

01616_R88jg1lC9k_600x450.jpg

00q0q_cbDuoa4MRzW_600x450.jpg

http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/4754216881.html

I'm thinking about picking this up just for tires and a parts truck... Am I crazy? I was planning on jumping up to 33s in the next 6 months, which would be about 800-1000 anyways.

Also having another practically identical car could be useful for finding random parts that I might need.

However, the wife would be pissed if I rolled up into the driveway with this. Lol

Smksignals

Explorer

I emailed this Montero ad and only asked if the car was still available. His response was "Yes it is. I am firm on the price. Yes, it is over Kelly Blue Book". Nice start... I asked a couple of more questions. He bought it at a dealer 2 years ago. He has no service records. His mechanic said quote "The timing belt appears to have been done."

blackohio

Observer
I emailed this Montero ad and only asked if the car was still available. His response was "Yes it is. I am firm on the price. Yes, it is over Kelly Blue Book". Nice start... I asked a couple of more questions. He bought it at a dealer 2 years ago. He has no service records. His mechanic said quote "The timing belt appears to have been done."

Ahahaha. Would you like to not be able to get a loan for a vehicle next to no one wants, then ive got the super good cash price for you. Do you have 5.5K and a 2K car loan. Then come on down to I'm dumber than ****.

MascotRejct

Adventurer
Just saw this on CL. I really like the gen 2.5's, but this one seems to be a pretty good deal. http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4761538925.html I've been reading up on the gen 3's, and they dont have a locker, correct? Also, what are the options for suspension lifts (fairly small, maybe 1.5-3") for gen 3? I know there is an OME lift, but my god is it expensive for only 2" ($800 :Wow1:)...

Just saw this on CL. I really like the gen 2.5's, but this one seems to be a pretty good deal. http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4761538925.html I've been reading up on the gen 3's, and they dont have a locker, correct? Also, what are the options for suspension lifts (fairly small, maybe 1.5-3") for gen 3? I know there is an OME lift, but my god is it expensive for only 2" ($800 :Wow1:)...

I think that is a god deal. If you don't buy it I might just jump on it. So hurry.

aarwyatt

IMG_2115_zps2j1rswli.jpg

IMG_7503_zpsa8t1hlbq.jpg

just talked to the owner of this 94, was listed at $1700 but I guess he just discovered it has a blown head gasket. Is this fairly common, I suspect cooling system failure and overheated? Planned on a timing belt job anyways and valve guides so halfway there and should be able to get for around 1k. Would like a gen 2.5 but most with leather the front seats are shot. Again manly looking for a camping vehicle/weekend warrior so the rear locker isn't really a huge necessity for me. These should still have the 2nd & 3rd row that fold flat into a "bed" right? About 2 hrs away and has 160k on it. Still runs he says.

I'd like to find the newest gen 2.5 but also appreciate the slab-sided utilitarian look of the earlier ones and really dig the cloth, plus it holds up better.

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
IMG_2115_zps2j1rswli.jpg

IMG_7503_zpsa8t1hlbq.jpg

just talked to the owner of this 94, was listed at $1700 but I guess he just discovered it has a blown head gasket. Is this fairly common, I suspect cooling system failure and overheated? Planned on a timing belt job anyways and valve guides so halfway there and should be able to get for around 1k. Would like a gen 2.5 but most with leather the front seats are shot. Again manly looking for a camping vehicle/weekend warrior so the rear locker isn't really a huge necessity for me. These should still have the 2nd & 3rd row that fold flat into a "bed" right? About 2 hrs away and has 160k on it. Still runs he says.

I'd like to find the newest gen 2.5 but also appreciate the slab-sided utilitarian look of the earlier ones and really dig the cloth, plus it holds up better.

I don't know if its just me but I think 1k is to much for a truck that needs that much work. Plus no locker. I would offer less. You will have to tow it . All that money and time you have to put into it just to make it run right. Why did it overheat radiator? Maybe just bad water pump? What else was neglected on the truck that may not have failed yet. Think about what it's gonna cost you in the long run. Is it worth it? If you do all the work yourself maybe.

Dolomiti

Adventurer
IMG_2115_zps2j1rswli.jpg

IMG_7503_zpsa8t1hlbq.jpg

If you can't get it for $700 or so, it may not make financial sense to get this particular truck.
Replacing a head gasket is not impossible to do yourself, but it takes time and there are a lot of $$$ of parts you'll want to invest in swapping while you're down there. Plus you have to tow it.

Cloth seats are wonderful. I have them in one of my other cars (in a car that traditionally wouldn't have them), and they are great. Comfortable and warm in winter, cool in summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78