Monteros on craigslist

MascotRejct

Adventurer
Sweet. Im not in too dire need of a ride right now, but I've kinda fallen in love with these gen 2.5's I've seen on here. Guess I'll keep my eyes out for something to come along!

DSouth

Observer
I've been trying to get ahold of this seller for the last two days. No replies yet. Looks like a clean truck, but yea the new gas tank seems odd.

Sweet. Im not in too dire need of a ride right now, but I've kinda fallen in love with these gen 2.5's I've seen on here. Guess I'll keep my eyes out for something to come along!

Hey Mascot... too funny, I went and looked at it just about an hour ago. That truck was rough. It looked amazing, but mechanically it was not sound. The engine was smoking on the top end.

Also the oil was milky before I started it, which is indicative of a head gasket problem. After I drove it for 30mins I stopped and checked the oil and it was watery. NOT GOOD.

The rotors were def warped.

I didn't even offer anything b/c I would have embarrassed him with my offer. :)

MascotRejct

Adventurer
Hey Mascot... too funny, I went and looked at it just about an hour ago. That truck was rough. It looked amazing, but mechanically it was not sound. The engine was smoking on the top end.

Also the oil was milky before I started it, which is indicative of a head gasket problem. After I drove it for 30mins I stopped and checked the oil and it was watery. NOT GOOD.

The rotors were def warped.

I didn't even offer anything b/c I would have embarrassed him with my offer. :)

Haha. Yea, from what i saw the smoke was coming off of the oil on the cat, but it may have been coming from the top end. Supposedly he had the front rotors and pads redone, but I was skeptical of that. I didnt even bother to check the oil. Totally slipped my mind. Did he try to ask you if you were the one that he had talked to on the phone that was coming down to buy it? He tried that line on me and I didn't buy it for a second. Haha. Also, are all gen 2.5 monteros that floaty? I felt like it needed new shocks bad...

Haha. Yea, from what i saw the smoke was coming off of the oil on the cat, but it may have been coming from the top end. Supposedly he had the front rotors and pads redone, but I was skeptical of that. I didnt even bother to check the oil. Totally slipped my mind. Did he try to ask you if you were the one that he had talked to on the phone that was coming down to buy it? He tried that line on me and I didn't buy it for a second. Haha. Also, are all gen 2.5 monteros that floaty? I felt like it needed new shocks bad...

Nope he didn't try anything. I'm not sure on the "floaty" that was the first time I've driven a 2.5. It's really a shame b/c the body on that truck was amazing for the most part.

He did tell me the front brakes and rotors were done, but like you I don't know if I believe it. Felt like warped rotors when hitting the brakes to me.... And it felt most prominent in the front.

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
I'm putting my 1997 Montero SR up for sale. I would really prefer it be a forum member who buys this one. Here is a link to my ad on Craigslist.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4751555819.html
View attachment 255325

Just saw this. That's a great looker man but with a bad sunroof motor, leaking radiator, rear bearings going out, and what looks to be a completely rebuilt motor, why is it so pricey?

A reman'd motor is not something I'm keen on. I don't know what parts were used, who did the build, etc. Why did it have a new motor? Wreck?

DSouth

Observer
Looks clean inside and out from the pics. Not sure why it has a new gas tank though. Maybe damaged from offroading?

1998 MITSUBISHI MONTERO 4X4 LIMITED - $2950 (OC)
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/4753872427.html

This guy is actually a wholesaler. I finally got ahold of him today after multiple attempts. Has some history on the car, but not much. Isn't willing to drive 2.4 miles to the nearest mall parking lot for a meet up to show the car. :rolleyes:

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Just saw this. That's a great looker man but with a bad sunroof motor, leaking radiator, rear bearings going out, and what looks to be a completely rebuilt motor, why is it so pricey?

A reman'd motor is not something I'm keen on. I don't know what parts were used, who did the build, etc. Why did it have a new motor? Wreck?

Hello TNMontero,
Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it. You just made my day. You ask very good questions and I would love to address them for you and the other forum members.

I have not updated the Craig's list add yet but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the sunroof motor. I'm happy to report that I cleaned out the sunroof tracks over the weekend and it is fully functional now.

You seem to have a strange impression of my Radiator description. I want to correct your impression. The radiator has three "pinhole" leaks. I just took a sixty-six mile trip and I can see what looks like a total of four to five drops of accumulated coolant. It's not like it's dripping or anything, but I did want to disclose that information to potential buyers. This is literally a "bubblegum" repair. However, after having overhauled the engine and spending the amount of money I did, I wouldn't feel right about fixing my truck with bubblegum.

The rear bearings are not "going out" as you put it. There isn't actually anything wrong with them. I replaced the front bearings as it was necessary for the alignment to be performed. The rear bearings should get replaced as preventative maintenance. They work fine as is, but I had planned on doing that along with the rear brake job in the next 12,000 miles or so.

Good catch, you are right about the rebuilt motor. I personally rebuilt the engine except the cylinder heads. Those were re-manufactured by Clearwater. I'm sure you read the ad and saw the extensive list of all new the new parts.

I totally understand your concern about re-manufactured engines. It obviously isn't for everyone. I have almost all of the receipts for all the parts used if you wanted to know all the parts that were used, I suppose I could provide that seeing as how I did all the work myself.

Why a new motor? It was leaking crazy amounts of oil. It had a misfire on cylinder number six. The Montero was puffing giant clouds of white smoke after sitting at a red light, due to blown head gasket. Fuel mileage was atrocious due to misfire on six... There were a lot of reasons for the overhaul. But primarily, the reason was that I wanted a 100% reliable vehicle for my wife to drive my kids around in. And with all of those issues, that was not the case. But now it absolutely is and I'm so glad I did that work. I'm sure if you had experienced the before-and-after engine overhaul, you would change your mind about being "keen" on.

Wreck? No.

Why so pricey? Because of the value of what a buyer would get.

It is a clean vehicle inside and out. It has a clean title. It has a new engine and all new accessories. All of the mechanical components are new except the transmission and transfer case. Every single thing except the power antenna and the tachometer are 100% operational. What a buyer gets, is a vehicle that he won't have to do anything to except add fuel and change the oil along with standard maintenance. I would consider that an exceptional value. I'm expecting to get 100,000 additional miles out of this easy.

Hey TNMontero,
You called me out on the price. Now I'm going to call you out. I find out interesting how I disclosed all of the things I would want to know about if I was making a purchasing decision, but you spun it all in a very negative way.

In a sales situation, I've noticed people tend to do that kind of thing when attempting to maneuver for "favorable" negotiations.

No one said anything about a broken sunroof motor. No one said anything about bearings "going out". Why would you assume it was in a wreck? That makes no sense.

I clearly left some room in there for negotiations based on the good, the bad, and the ugly. If there are anymore questions please feel free. I'll answer them here.

Last edited:

complex

This guy is actually a wholesaler. I finally got ahold of him today after multiple attempts. Has some history on the car, but not much. Isn't willing to drive 2.4 miles to the nearest mall parking lot for a meet up to show the car. :rolleyes:

Yeah - he is either a bad salesman or something is up with the car. I got his address and asked to meet at the Mitsu dealer right next door to him (literally next to his apartment building) and he won't do it. Carfax shows it has an accident on record as well. It looks good online but I guess the search will continue. Hopefully deals keep popping up. I'm ready to get a gen 2.5!

KyleT

Explorer
Hello TNMontero,
Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it. You just made my day. You ask very good questions and I would love to address them for you and the other forum members.

I have not updated the Craig's list add yet but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the sunroof motor. I'm happy to report that I cleaned out the sunroof tracks over the weekend and it is fully functional now.

You seem to have a strange impression of my Radiator description. I want to correct your impression. The radiator has three "pinhole" leaks. I just took a sixty-six mile trip and I can see what looks like a total of four to five drops of accumulated coolant. It's not like it's dripping or anything, but I did want to disclose that information to potential buyers. This is literally a "bubblegum" repair. However, after having overhauled the engine and spending the amount of money I did, I wouldn't feel right about fixing my truck with bubblegum.

The rear bearings are not "going out" as you put it. There isn't actually anything wrong with them. I replaced the front bearings as it was necessary for the alignment to be performed. The rear bearings should get replaced as preventative maintenance. They work fine as is, but I had planned on doing that along with the rear brake job in the next 12,000 miles or so.

Good catch, you are right about the rebuilt motor. I personally rebuilt the engine except the cylinder heads. Those were re-manufactured by Clearwater. I'm sure you read the ad and saw the extensive list of all new the new parts.

I totally understand your concern about re-manufactured engines. It obviously isn't for everyone. I have almost all of the receipts for all the parts used if you wanted to know all the parts that were used, I suppose I could provide that seeing as how I did all the work myself.

Why a new motor? It was leaking crazy amounts of oil. It had a misfire on cylinder number six. The Montero was puffing giant clouds of white smoke after sitting at a red light, due to blown head gasket. Fuel mileage was atrocious due to misfire on six... There were a lot of reasons for the overhaul. But primarily, the reason was that I wanted a 100% reliable vehicle for my wife to drive my kids around in. And with all of those issues, that was not the case. But now it absolutely is and I'm so glad I did that work. I'm sure if you had experienced the before-and-after engine overhaul, you would change your mind about being "keen" on.

Wreck? No.

Why so pricey? Because of the value of what a buyer would get.

It is a clean vehicle inside and out. It has a clean title. It has a new engine and all new accessories. All of the mechanical components are new except the transmission and transfer case. Every single thing except the power antenna and the tachometer are 100% operational. What a buyer gets, is a vehicle that he won't have to do anything to except add fuel and change the oil along with standard maintenance. I would consider that an exceptional value. I'm expecting to get 100,000 additional miles out of this easy.

Hey TNMontero,
You called me out on the price. Now I'm going to call you out. I find out interesting how I disclosed all of the things I would want to know about if I was making a purchasing decision, but you spun it all in a very negative way.

In a sales situation, I've noticed people tend to do that kind of thing when attempting to maneuver for "favorable" negotiations.

No one said anything about a broken sunroof motor. No one said anything about bearings "going out". Why would you assume it was in a wreck? That makes no sense.

I clearly left some room in there for negotiations based on the good, the bad, and the ugly. If there are anymore questions please feel free. I'll answer them here.

Not a good way to win over buyers...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle