GAP Diagnostic– new products / IIDTool update announcement 12/2013

cannonball55

Adventurer
i'll go outside and find out for you right now. I cant remember specifically but i've done it before to get the truck in the garage with the roof rack on... it was terrifying with only maybe a 1/16 to 1/8 inch gap...

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Really? Well that's interesting. Any idea what sort of cryptic wording it might be?
service/test -> suspension
. -> deflate corners
. -> deflate res.
. -> deflate all
Have to admit - that really made me chuckle. Tho I can see how it might not be that obvious to someone who has not used every function on the IIDTool.

The 'Service/Test' menu is really meant to provide for just that: testing all components of the EAS by allowing manual control to see if they actually function. By utilizing these functions you can go from completely depressurized airbags to the limits of suspension travel on one corner or all 4 as you please. Even if the EAS ECU is stuck in 'Hard fault' (non-operational). As long as you do not exit the 'Service/Test' menu (and reactivate the EAS ECU), you do not relinquish manual control over the EAS components. This is particularly useful when you have a situation such as a damaged height sensor on the trail (which was actually reported to us not too long ago). Plug the IIDTool in, manually pump up the suspension, and drive out. Short of a damaged air spring or a damaged air line, the IIDTool will allow you to drive out of nearly any situation.

The Llams or its Italian counterpart, Anitas, allows changing the suspension height at the twist of a knob. With the IIDTool or EASControl, you need to plug the unit in, navigate to the saved settings (or adjust height) and hit enter. So you are about 45 seconds slower with an IIDTool/EASControl than with the other 2. That is pretty much their only advantage.

Jwestpro

Explorer
As long as you do not exit the 'Service/Test' menu (and reactivate the EAS ECU),

As far as I understand what I see happen on my vehicle, the moment I drive off, the IIDtool automatically "exits" which I presume also means exiting the service menu.

cannonball55

Adventurer
i believe once deflated they remain deflated even after exiting and moving the vehicle and remains so until the height switch is toggled again.

if someone tries this please do so with appropriate height clearance...

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Hi Guys,
First: JWest - sorry for the very late answer. Been traveling and have not had much time to keep an eye on various threads.

As for recovering a vehicle with a non-mechanical EAS issue (e.g. broken height sensor, etc):
JWest, you are completely correct. The 'test valves' function will allow pumping the vehicle to a desired height, but driving will cause the IIDTool to exit the menu and the EAS will resume operation. To stop this, you can enter 'build mode' (in the same sub-menu as 'test valves') which will incapacitate the EAS until you re-enter 'build mode' and re-activate the EAS. So pumping the vehicle to the desired height using 'test valves' and then entering 'build mode' will allow driving with the suspension set to a specific height.
There are minor differences in the software of the various models. This is for a Discovery 3.

Canonnball55, you are also correct in that the EAS also needs to be reactivated after a 'deflate' command. This is obviously for safety reasons, so that the EAS doesn't try to start adjusting the vehicle#'s height while it is being worked on.

HTH

SDLR3

Observer
Hi Guys,
First: JWest - sorry for the very late answer. Been traveling and have not had much time to keep an eye on various threads.

As for recovering a vehicle with a non-mechanical EAS issue (e.g. broken height sensor, etc):
JWest, you are completely correct. The 'test valves' function will allow pumping the vehicle to a desired height, but driving will cause the IIDTool to exit the menu and the EAS will resume operation. To stop this, you can enter 'build mode' (in the same sub-menu as 'test valves') which will incapacitate the EAS until you re-enter 'build mode' and re-activate the EAS. So pumping the vehicle to the desired height using 'test valves' and then entering 'build mode' will allow driving with the suspension set to a specific height.
There are minor differences in the software of the various models. This is for a Discovery 3.

Canonnball55, you are also correct in that the EAS also needs to be reactivated after a 'deflate' command. This is obviously for safety reasons, so that the EAS doesn't try to start adjusting the vehicle#'s height while it is being worked on.

HTH

It would be great to have an emergency recovery menu that brought you to this in the app. I had my truck deflate down and would not have know how to do this. That being said, once I bought my GAP tool my LR3 I haven't had any problems.

srschick

Adventurer
is there any future chance at all of being able to set the different hight levels on the LR3/4 individually, like the L322-02?
Or is it just not possible with the programming?

cannonball55

Adventurer
I'm curious if there is any way to plug a laptop into the gaptool while its plugged into the obd2 port and have access to the menus via a gui on the laptop? i think this would be helpful as you could include help boxes with more info and have a better view of what youre looking for. just as an option for those who travel with their laptop regularly.

SailRover

I'm curious if there is any way to plug a laptop into the gaptool while its plugged into the obd2 port and have access to the menus via a gui on the laptop? i think this would be helpful as you could include help boxes with more info and have a better view of what youre looking for. just as an option for those who travel with their laptop regularly.

X2 on this. I've pondered the same question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
This is exactly the case (thanks cmb!). The updater program for the IIDTool also contains the simple control interface program for USB. It is explained in post#6 at the beginning of this thread with a pic.

Controller.png

is there any future chance at all of being able to set the different hight levels on the LR3/4 individually, like the L322-02?
Or is it just not possible with the programming?
No, at least not in the short term, unfortunately. The programming of the EAS ECU in the early L322 RR is different than on the later L322s and all later EAS equipped LRs such as the LR3/4 and RRS. Modifying this would require a modification of the EAS ECU software and flashing this to the ECU. This is more or less equivalent to chip-tuning the EAS. It is quite possible and we have discussed it, but it remains a question of investment (time, money...). We'll see. Maybe.

It would be great to have an emergency recovery menu that brought you to this in the app. I had my truck deflate down and would not have know how to do this.
We have discussed this as well. Also a question of time. We have been puttering around with a special off-road edition of the IIDTool which will contain numerous unique features. This would def be something for the feature list. It is something we will have to add to our instruction manual.
That being said, once I bought my GAP tool my LR3 I haven't had any problems.
This is by design. It's called the 'guardian angel' feature that is automatically installed in the vehicle's software upon first use of the IIDTool.
:rolleyes:

srschick

Adventurer
SteveMfr, or anyone else that could answer this: (I'm using the BT interface)

When I do a height adjustment, is it adding/subtracting from the "baseline" height, or the current height?

what I mean is, each time you go into the interface, it shows you "0" then you can + or - from that point.
So if I add +20mm then exit out (and the adjustment is made), the next time I go in and add +20mm will it be in addition to the previous +20mm?
Or will it be + 20 to the original baseline height. (redundant +20mm)?

axels

Adventurer
That s correct. It always add or subtract to what you've previously done. It's good to keep track of what you do. You can also restore to default saved values if you've lost track.

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Hi SRS,
Sorry for the late reply again. Need to stop by here more often.

CMB and axels are completely correct: you are always making changes to the current height, not the original height settings. We have discussed this numerous times internally, and while it would no doubt be a nice feature if we could always compare to the original settings, the implementation of such a feature is not easy. And it could potentially create new problems - such as if the EAS is recalibrated with another diagnostic system "between" IIDTool height changes.

If you ever do "get lost", you can always measure where you are, restore the original values and then modify the height back to the measured height.

HTH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle