Odyssey vs. Diehard Platinum

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have the Whirlpool fridge.

Gee... I did not know that they made 12v fridges! I saw the pictures of your last SEES Expedition with the Whirpool in tow :elkgrin:

new_refrig_on_road_2.jpg

steelheader

FYI, I talked to Enersys tech today about charging requirements. The gal I spoke with gave me the heads up that they are not going to supply the batteries for Sears anymore, and she advised me to ask about how they will handle the warranty if they have to replace one.

I also sent an email to sears and talked to them on the phone. The gal I spoke with had no idea and could not say what will happen with warranty claims.

Trying to decide if its worth paying a little extra for an odyssey.....

teotwaki

Excelsior!
FYI, I talked to Enersys tech today about charging requirements. The gal I spoke with gave me the heads up that they are not going to supply the batteries for Sears anymore, and she advised me to ask about how they will handle the warranty if they have to replace one.

I also sent an email to sears and talked to them on the phone. The gal I spoke with had no idea and could not say what will happen with warranty claims.

My battery is 6 years old so warranty is a non-issue :ylsmoke:

rambrush

Adventurer
I just had to replace my pc1200mjt batteries (2) they lasted a tad over 6 years, Luckily I have the Hell Roaring kit and flipped the switch to activate the second battery to get me home. BUT the problem that comes into play is. Do you have time to wait for West Coast Battery to ship out replacements? I did not and ended up have to purchase local. Which in my case required some different cable layout configuration that I had to do to make the new batteries work.

dstock

Explorer

I probably missed something, are you talking about the Platinums and that they won't be making them anymore?

On an aside, took my Jeep in for service, and of course despite making an appointment they didn't get to it that day, so it sat overnight. There was a note from the tech, stating battery has low voltage. Maybe I can use that to get Sears to warranty my Platinum, it's down to 12.1-2 overnight.

bobwohlers

Overlander
Very good info from everyone; and thanks! I switched in both of my off-road vehicles to the Sears Diehard Platinum's some years ago. I switched from Optima. Four years ago, with a brand new Optima in my TJ, it melted down in a millisecond. First my Check Gages light came on, then "poof" my vehicle stopped. NO battery power whatsoever. I was solo on Hunter Mountain near Death Valley NP, a considerable distance from the highway. As always, I had my backup battery. If I had not, I would have had to reach for my SPOT or Satphone to get help; no cell signal. That was my last Optima; ever.

keezer37

Explorer

I bought an Odyssey 1500 from West Coast Batteries back in '07 as a backup battery. I still have it. I bought a new primary just last November before a trip. Because I was pressed for time, I just went to Sears. Ended up paying nearly as much with the tax. I wish they still had the brass terminals.

steelheader

I probably missed something, are you talking about the Platinums and that they won't be making them anymore?

On an aside, took my Jeep in for service, and of course despite making an appointment they didn't get to it that day, so it sat overnight. There was a note from the tech, stating battery has low voltage. Maybe I can use that to get Sears to warranty my Platinum, it's down to 12.1-2 overnight.

According to the gal at Enersys, that's correct, they wont be rebadging the odyssey for sears with the platinum name anymore. I don't know when this is supposed to take effect.

dstock

Explorer
According to the gal at Enersys, that's correct, they wont be rebadging the odyssey for sears with the platinum name anymore. I don't know when this is supposed to take effect.

Considering my latest experience with the Platinum and Sears, I wouldn't buy another one regardless.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I bought an Odyssey 1500 from West Coast Batteries back in '07 as a backup battery. I still have it. I bought a new primary just last November before a trip. Because I was pressed for time, I just went to Sears. Ended up paying nearly as much with the tax. I wish they still had the brass terminals.

The Odyssey spec says: "Group 34 with tin-plated brass SAE top automotive posts"

Was it that you did not want the tin plating or were you referring to the Sears version? If so that is probably one of the ways that Sears could drop the price by specifying the steel or lead terminals.

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!

Even if Sears does not drop them from the inventory their current price is still too high. When this thread was started the price was $189 so I may just go for the CostCo Shuffle. Purchase a new battery then return it every couple of years for a new one.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Even if Sears does not drop them from the inventory their current price is still too high. When this thread was started the price was $189 so I may just go for the CostCo Shuffle. Purchase a new battery then return it every couple of years for a new one.

Unless you abuse the aux battery the way I do, which I doubt - you've got solar and I don't - I'd bet you still get 6 years out of them. I got 6 out of my last cranking battery, which I bought at Autozone in Vegas. I bought the best one they had, but still, it wasn't anything special. And it was still working when I decided it was time to replace it just on general principles.

It remains to be seen how long these two new Enersys I just got will last.

Stroverlander

Adventurer

I've been looking for alternatives since the price hike to $250 (and also seemingly never on sale anymore...) Diehard Platinum AGM that I have in my van (34/78) for another vehicle.

Probably a slight step down spec-wise from the Odyssey but the Bosch Platinum Series S6 AGM (Exide Edge AGM flat-plate) seems like a decent, cost effective AGM battery overall and the reviews are positive - though probably too soon to tell much about longevity/durability.

Retail at Pep Boys is $190 but they had a killer deal last weekend - 30% off online promo code and $20 Bosch mail-in rebate was too good to pass up at $122 after promo/rebate.

I bumped up from a 35 to 24F for Impreza since terminal config is the same and only 1" wider. Just had to slightly mod the plastic battery tray (two cuts with razor) and it slotted right in. Slightly better specs for same price - 24F: 710 cca / 120 min reserve / 41 lbs vs the 35: 650 cca / 110 min / 37 lbs. 4 year replacement warranty & 3 year jump start.

I don't know if this is what I'd have purchased for my van but perfect for Subaru.

YhR6e2z.jpg

VcbDysA.jpg

Wj3ktjj.jpg

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Unless you abuse the aux battery the way I do, which I doubt - you've got solar and I don't - I'd bet you still get 6 years out of them. I got 6 out of my last cranking battery, which I bought at Autozone in Vegas. I bought the best one they had, but still, it wasn't anything special. And it was still working when I decided it was time to replace it just on general principles.

It remains to be seen how long these two new Enersys I just got will last.

The original Panasonic wet cell battery that came in my 4Runner lasted 5 years as I recall but those batteries are not available for purchase as far as I know. I would not be opposed to a good wet cell for my starting battery. The CostCo Shuffle is just an easy way out but sort of wasteful so I'd rather have a battery that lasts a long time.

dstock

Explorer
For what it's worth, 4Wheelparts.com has the Odyssey Group 34 (no side terminals) for $248.99, and the 34/78 (with side terminals) for $278.99 with free ground shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online